What exactly was finished when Jesus said, "It is finished"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
This is a question that I have heard many interpretation of and I am sure that there are diverse opinions on this subject in this forum. So I would like to pose the question and ask that you give biblical references for your answer as it relates directly to the question. Opinions, I am sure you will agree, are a dime a dozen. It would also help if you would take the time to print out the scriptures.

Personally, I believe that it could mean that His work was done (although it would have been more appropriate for Christ to have said this at His ascension than at His crucifixion) but, because of the references mentioned below, I have come to believe that He meant that the Law was finished (for those who believe on Him).

John 1
17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Romans 7
4So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God. 5For when we were controlled by the sinful nature,the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. 6But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 10
4Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

2 Corinthians 3
7Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts! 12Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away. 14But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.

Ephesians 2
15By abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace.

Colossians 2
14Having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

Hebrews 8
13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Hebrews 9
15For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. 16In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it,​

\o/

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Tetelestai, the Greek verb translated "It is finished," is the perfective form of a verb meaning "to complete, to bring to fulfillment, to accomplish." What was completed, fulfilled, accomplished was the Atonement.

In that connection, I offer you this beautiful Easter hymn that speaks to my heart on the subject you raise:
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The strife is o'er, the battle done,
the victory of life is won;
the song of triumph has begun.
Alleluia!

The powers of death have done their worst,
but Christ their legions hath dispersed:
let shout of holy joy outburst.
Alleluia!

The three sad days are quickly sped,
he rises glorious from the dead:
all glory to our risen Head!
Alleluia!

He closed the yawning gates of hell,
the bars from heaven's high portals fell;
let hymns of praise his triumphs tell!
Alleluia!

Lord! by the stripes which wounded thee,
from death's dread sting thy servants free,
that we may live and sing to thee.
Alleluia!
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t368.html

Upvote 0

verismo

Apr 23, 2004
✟564.00
Faith
Catholic
thereselittleflower said:
Hi Jim

The 4th Cup.

You might find this very insightful and helpful:

http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~vgg/rc/aplgtc/hahn/m4/4cp.html

:)

Peace in Him!
Wow, awesome, I was comming here to talk about he same thing by Dr. Hahn. You really should read this, and anything else by Scott Hahn that you can find. It will blow your mind, and strengthen your faith forever.

Terese, pax vobiscum.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
There was only one thing that was finished and that was the sacrificial system.

How do we know that?

The temple curtain was ripped from top to bottom.

The curtain was very thick and for it to ripped in that manner shows that it was a Divine hand that did it.

Meaning, no more sacrifices.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is finished? The scriptures that foretold of Christ's comeing and his purpose, they are fulfilled. Also the judgement of the angels that had sinned is sealed up. They have been condemned and their fate is also sealed up.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
verismo said:
Wow, awesome, I was comming here to talk about he same thing by Dr. Hahn. You really should read this, and anything else by Scott Hahn that you can find. It will blow your mind, and strengthen your faith forever.

Terese, pax vobiscum.
Hi verismo!

He is awesome to read and listen to.

If anyone wants to listen to him, here is a great link using Real Audio. . .once there, just click on a subject . . it is audio only at this site

http://www.ewtn.com/series/lamb/episodes.htm

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
thereselittleflower said:
Hi verismo!

He is awesome to read and listen to.

If anyone wants to listen to him, here is a great link using Real Audio. . .once there, just click on a subject . . it is audio only at this site

http://www.ewtn.com/series/lamb/episodes.htm

Peace in Him!
This concerns me a little bit.

We look to men when we could go to the Bible and see just what was finished.

Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

Mark 15:38 And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.

When this took place it exposed the Most Holy place of the temple to everyone. It was no longer sacred. Before it was a place where the high priest went once a year during the day of Atonement. From now on that was finished.

There were a few other things that were finished.

Satan's fate was then sealed, he had lost his cause. Man (and women) had been redeemed. Satan was a looser and still is.

Upvote 0

Jay2004

Holy Catholic Evangelist
May 27, 2004
Ottawa
✟8,393.00
Faith
Catholic
This concerns me a little bit.

We look to men when we could go to the Bible and see just what was finished.

Why, Hahn does quote from the bible. Your quoting from the bible, what makes you more of an authority that Dr. Hahn? After all you are just a man too, like the rest of us.

Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

Mark 15:38 And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.

When this took place it exposed the Most Holy place of the temple to everyone. It was no longer sacred. Before it was a place where the high priest went once a year during the day of Atonement. From now on that was finished.

There were a few other things that were finished.

What other things were finished?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jay2004

Holy Catholic Evangelist
May 27, 2004
Ottawa
✟8,393.00
Faith
Catholic
I had always taken it to mean simply that wha he had come to do, (sacrifice himself for us) was finished, by the spilling of his blood, and by his death, we were forgiven.
I agree, to die for the sins of mankind, but not to nullify the law. He will make the law null when he returns.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Bizzlebin Imperatoris said:
Done away with? Fulfilled. If they were done away with, not needed, Jesus wouldn't have needed to die. He was the sacrifice. He was the fulfillment.
It says in Hebrews that the blood of animals does not take away sin. Jesus needed to die to do that. Fulfill the law. They were only done away after His death.

They do not do them today.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.