What does Trump need to do so as to raise his approval rating?

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes, as it stands today Trump's approval rating is 38%.

To improve on this what do you think he needs to do?
He's his own worst enemy. He needs to change some fundamental things about himself, his personality, and the way he treats other human beings.

I don't find it difficult to respect views that are different than mine, and the people who hold those views, if I'm confident that their intentions are benevolent, that they know what they're talking about, and that I can feel good about them representing me.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I've explained it twice now. That you feel the need to say this would seem to either mean you didn't read what I wrote (or cannot read it without an agenda) or you are intentionally misrepresenting what I stated to "win" some type of debate points.

Yes, Trump is so virtuous and innocent and everything has been stacked against him his whole life. How did he ever succeed, only starting out with a few million from his father, just a "poor" boy on the streets of NY trying to survive? [/sarcasm]

What is interesting to me, since you brought it up, is Trump's news coverage wasn't quite as negative as you are thinking, when you look at it historically. For example, “His coverage was negative from the start [of the general election] and never came close to entering positive territory,” writes Thomas E. Patterson, the Bradlee professor of government and the press at Harvard. “During his best weeks, the coverage ran 2-to-1 negative over positive. In his worst weeks, the ratio was more than 10-to-1. If there was a silver lining for Trump, it was that his two best weeks were the ones just preceding the November balloting.”

Yet, if you compare it to Obama in 2008, "One man running for president has suffered the most unrelentingly negative treatment of all: Barack Obama. Though covered largely as president rather than a candidate, negative assessments of Obama have outweighed positive by a ratio of almost 4-to-1. The assessments of the president in the media were substantially more negative than positive in every one of the 23 weeks studied. In no week during these five months was more than 10% of the coverage about the President positive in tone."

Interestingly how similar it is; particularly with the conservative claim that the media always loved and favored Obama.

No, if you read about what actually happened, it was a security issue with Air Force One, and not the Chinese or any lack of respect towards Obama and the US.

And, I'm sorry. What does Trump's treatment by the Chinese make Trump commendable? As others have speculated, it is just as likely that the Chinese know of Trump's ego, and lashing out if he feels he is slighted, so felt they needed to "pull out all the stops" so that the meeting would be productive. IN that case, I see nothing commendable at all in how the Chinese treated him; more like they treated him as a child that might throw a tantrum.

Whether that speculation is true, or not, how Trump is treated by the Chinese has nothing to do with how we should look at Trump -- the Chinese had their own reasons for doing it that have nothing to do with Trump's performance in office. By contrast, do you think we should look at how Germany feels about Trump, and the comments made, or the fact England actually discussed not allowing Trump in the country, to say Trump should have an even lower approval rating?

Are you saying that President Trump's royal reception by the President of China was a bad thing, including his invitation into the Forbidden City by President Xi Jinping?

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trump is not fit to shine the shoes of the hero John McCain ..the cruelty of his remarks about “ugly women” and the making fun of that poor guy with the disability....habitual lying....the list is endless. “Rough around the edges?” Ernest T Bass was “rough around the edges” Trump is a creepy disgusting man and an ignorant , “in over his head”abberation of a President.Having gotten that off my chest....I still try and do not hesitate to give him credit when he does good——the prisoners in Jina,helping West Virginia with jobs ,bombing Syria and pardoning the turkeys are a few examples....to criticize “everything” he does makes one lose their credibility..".as I have said before....”even a blind hog finds an acorn”

Btw....I don’t like Hillary or Obama either...in a sane and mature country and in a country where class,intelligence and morality mattered ...John Kasich would be sitting in Lincoln’s chair

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying that President Trump's royal reception by the President of China was a bad thing?

What was unclear about it? I am saying it is a neutral thing; the way the Chinese (or Germans, English, or any other nationality) treats my president on a state visit does not change my opinion about the President's job performance. I may agree about some observations they make, but the way the treat him doesn't change anything about the way he has performed his job.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Was it a bad thing that the President of China invited President TRump into the Forbidden City?

That would depend on what advantages their flattery got them.

What other Presidents were invited into the Forbidden City?

Every one that visited from Nixon onwards.

Former President Obama?

Yes:
d80c1136f5baffc52088a5b59bc398ac.jpg

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What was unclear about it? I am saying it is a neutral thing; the way the Chinese (or Germans, English, or any other nationality) treats my president on a state visit does not change my opinion about the President's job performance. I may agree about some observations they make, but the way the treat him doesn't change anything about the way he has performed his job.

China is a major power. To be on friendly, respectful terms with this major power is phenomenal. It's quite an accomplishment.

Especially since China's relationship with our former President was abysmal and made not only him, but our country a laughing stock, to be disrespected and treated so disdainfully, so openly.

To build a new and respectful relationship with China, now, is quite the major accomplishment.

• Haha
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I honestly think the wall will be a drag on him if it’s construction started. Land confiscation, cost overruns, treaty disputes.
He fails on that wall he fails as President

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That would depend on what advantages their flattery got them.

Every one that visited from Nixon onwards.

Yes:

Re: former President's invitation into the Forbidden City, when was that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Bob, the "approval ratings" make no sense.

None.

Nada.
Why not? He started out with 46.1% of the vote, and he hasn't changed his ways or had any major accomplishments. He's losing the "anyone but Clinton" folks and others who hoped/assumed that he would change once he became President, and he's not making much of an attempt to attract supporters who would compensate for that loss.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I’m done repeating myself.

I was hoping for some clarity. It just seems that our former President was snubbed quite badly by China and the officials, with one representative chastising our former President's staff loudly and humiliatingly, and our former President having to take side door off of his plane, with no reception from China's officials?

I would like to correct this if it's wrong.

That's why i'm asking for clarity.

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
Bob, the "approval ratings" make no sense.

None.

Nada.

Why not? He started out with 46.1% of the vote, and he hasn't changed his ways or had any major accomplishments. He's losing the "anyone but Clinton" folks and others who hoped/assumed that he would change once he became President, and he's not making much of an attempt to attract supporters who would compensate for that loss.

I posted why i find the "approval ratings" incredibly incredulous throughout this thread.

Have you read my posts?

Upvote 0

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
China is a major power. To be on friendly, respectful terms with this major power is phenomenal. It's quite an accomplishment.

Yes, respect. Like staying out of their way when they build their illegal little islands, be quiet about little stuff like human rights, turn blind eye to their corporate espionage and making fakes. Respect.

Chinese are playing Trump like violin. Next thing they will probably give him a panda.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
Yes, respect. Like staying out of their way when they build their illegal little islands, be quiet about little stuff like human rights, turn blind eye to their corporate espionage and making fakes. Respect.

Chinese are playing Trump like violin. Next thing they will probably give him a panda.

Yes. Respect. As in being at peace with this major power, based on yes, respect. And being influential in getting 3 thieves who had the audacity to steal in their host country, in of all places, China, released because Trump personally asked President of China, Xi Jinping, about it. If the relationship between our President and China's President was not a positive one, the three athletes ran the risk of remaining in China for as long as China saw fit, including doing hard labor.

Yes, respect.

And giving our President a Panda certainly would not be a BAD thing, would it?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There are plenty of articles on the subject if you’re interested.

Thank you, but the ones i've seen are about how badly our former President was disrespected and blatantly snubbed by China (including how the President of the Philippines called the former President obscene names, loudly and very publicly).

Unless i missed something?

Upvote 0