What does Trump need to do so as to raise his approval rating?

HereIStand

Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't this more of a state by state issue even down to the local when it comes to infrastructure and the likes? My local Gov takes out of my sales tax, for example, portions to fix the roads and parks among other things.

I don't see how this is a Trump issue. This has been going on for a very long time before Trump. I see this as a state issue. California is a good example of misuse and high state debt. I know states get subsidized by the feds but the states also collect on you as well to pay for things like roads.

California has extremely horrible roads whereas Nevada does a good job in maintaining them (sorry California people its just that that state is a pretty big target to pass up with all its mess).

No, not a Trump issue. I don't like Obama as a president and it wasn't an Obama issue either. This is a state issue down to the local. They need to buck up and stop their ridiculous mismanagement of funds.
States can help, but it's too large of an expense to fund at the local level, especially since the infrastructure has been allowed to deteriorate in some areas for so long. Gas taxes are supposed to fund maintenance on the interstate system, but some of the money has been diverted for other projects, such as the D.C. Metro system. (The book The Big Roads sheds more light on this.) Also, cars are more efficient on fuel and electric gars are becoming more common. It has to be national priority.

One good point that Trump made in the one of the debates is that long-haul trucks take a tremendous amount of wear and tear, because of the poor shape of our roads. Fixing them and the water and sewage systems would make us more economically viable and create jobs.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Was President Trump's visit to China a failure?

In addition, there's also that glaring little detail about 3 athletes released, and home now.

Bad move on Trump's part?

Interesting question. If China is manipulating currency and the Trade Deficit is a huge issue, then the deals Trump signed in China were likely a bad thing. If China is a great friend and is "helping us out" then the deals are likely a good thing. If the truth is somewhere in between, then these deals are likely also pretty neutral. So which Trump story do we believe, that China is horrible or that China is our best friend? That is much of the issue, Trump seems to say whatever makes him look the best; since he just made a deal with China, they are now our best friend and wouldn't try to manipulate currency or dump products in the US.

From the looks of it, getting the three athletes back seems like a good thing. I do wonder though, would they not have been released if Trump hadn't have "personally" done it? The US Government routinely tries to get US Citizens released, and returned to the US, when they are arrested abroad. How much of it was actually done by the State Department? What did Trump give the Chinese to get these athletes released, or did they just do it because they "like" Donald? The problem is, we don't know the answer to these questions and aren't likely to know in the near future.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Build that wall, that is the only way. I'm not a supporter but this is the key to his agenda, he either builds that wall or goes down in flames. I cannot believe he didn't make this a major selling point of the budget process. If this tax plan goes down this administration is a lame duck on an epic scale, what on earth was he thinking, he has to build that wall.
I honestly think the wall will be a drag on him if it’s construction started. Land confiscation, cost overruns, treaty disputes.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ah, you are reading my posts. Nothing to add other than pointing out a typo?

It shouted at me.

I couldn't help myself. I thought Trump had played a board game wrong or sumthin'.

Thank you for the clarity.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Interesting question. If China is manipulating currency and the Trade Deficit is a huge issue, then the deals Trump signed in China were likely a bad thing. If China is a great friend and is "helping us out" then the deals are likely a good thing. If the truth is somewhere in between, then these deals are likely also pretty neutral. So which Trump story do we believe, that China is horrible or that China is our best friend? That is much of the issue, Trump seems to say whatever makes him look the best; since he just made a deal with China, they are now our best friend and wouldn't try to manipulate currency or dump products in the US.

From the looks of it, getting the three athletes back seems like a good thing. I do wonder though, would they not have been released if Trump hadn't have "personally" done it? The US Government routinely tries to get US Citizens released, and returned to the US, when they are arrested abroad. How much of it was actually done by the State Department? What did Trump give the Chinese to get these athletes released, or did they just do it because they "like" Donald? The problem is, we don't know the answer to these questions and aren't likely to know in the near future.

I agree. The 3 athletes getting released was a good thing.

There should be more celebration regarding this, and not "approval ratings" that don't reflect it.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

There should be more celebration regarding this, and not "approval ratings" that don't reflect it.
Why should their release cause me to celebrate or change my view of the president?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't this more of a state by state issue even down to the local when it comes to infrastructure and the likes? My local Gov takes out of my sales tax, for example, portions to fix the roads and parks among other things.

I don't see how this is a Trump issue. This has been going on for a very long time before Trump. I see this as a state issue. California is a good example of misuse and high state debt. I know states get subsidized by the feds but the states also collect on you as well to pay for things like roads.

California has extremely horrible roads whereas Nevada does a good job in maintaining them (sorry California people its just that that state is a pretty big target to pass up with all its mess).

No, not a Trump issue. I don't like Obama as a president and it wasn't an Obama issue either. This is a state issue down to the local. They need to buck up and stop their ridiculous mismanagement of funds.

I think that bridges, interstate highways and what are called transit water delivery systems those would be very large water delivery pipes are federal issues.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Without the tweets his message would not get out as the media does not report his message. So are you in favor of the media running this country like they did for Obama.

Did Obam work with both parties? Is that what you mean "start acting like a president" doe as Obama did?

Actually yes. Obama care was only passed after a great deal of consultation and compromise involving both parties.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Because their release has no impact on my view of the president, his inappropriate, erratic behavior nor his policies.

Would you have preferred that they remained detained in China?

Being indifferent to their, self inflicted, situation I have no preference.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Because their release has no impact on my view of the president, his inappropriate, erratic behavior nor his policies.

Being indifferent to their, self inflicted, situation I have no preference.

That was informative (even if i disagree).

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Focus on infrastructure and energy projects and job creation in these areas.

Had Trump made infrastructure his first initiative as President, he would likely have a major accomplishment under his belt. Rebuilding the nation's infrastructure is a goal both parties support.

Instead, he chose to focus on rolling back all things Obama....and has zero legislative victories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

You seem to have ignored most of what I stated. Again, exactly what did Trump do, and what did he give up, to get those athletes released? Would they have been released anyway, the State Department actually got the deal done, just since Trump was there he claimed the credit?

Even if I give him credit, there are so many other areas where he doesn't get credit -- his horrible budget and tax plans. Beyond them being seemingly being bad for ordinary Americans, they are even worse in terms of adding to the national debt. His seeming inability to work with Congress, that is even fully controlled by his own party. His inability to even present a health care plan (instead relying on Congress to create them), one he claimed to have during his campaign that would cover everyone and at cheaper rates; much less not be able to pass a tax plan. Instead, all he seems able to do is to make it harder for ordinary Americans to get health insurance.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You think thieves should be set free with no consequences for their crimes?

You prefer that they still be in China and carry out long prison sentences with hard labor?

Getting them released was a bad thing?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As for the ops question: Shut down his twitter account and keep his mouth (and fragile ego) in check.
Yeah... or my suggestion to resign.

Either one will boost his approval ratings in my book.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You prefer that they still be in China and carry out long prison sentences with hard labor?

Upon reflection I would prefer they not be given the free ride that student athletes get and have to face the penalties of grand theft. Even in their home state of California stealing goods worth that much, the cheapest pair of sunglasses that brand makes is over $400, could get them a felony charge and three years.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You seem to have ignored most of what I stated. Again, exactly what did Trump do, and what did he give up, to get those athletes released? Would they have been released anyway, the State Department actually got the deal done, just since Trump was there he claimed the credit?

Even if I give him credit, there are so many other areas where he doesn't get credit -- his horrible budget and tax plans. Beyond them being seemingly being bad for ordinary Americans, they are even worse in terms of adding to the national debt. His seeming inability to work with Congress, that is even fully controlled by his own party. His inability to even present a health care plan (instead relying on Congress to create them), one he claimed to have during his campaign that would cover everyone and at cheaper rates; much less not be able to pass a tax plan. Instead, all he seems able to do is to make it harder for ordinary Americans to get health insurance.

Are you saying that Trump had nothing to do with getting the 3 athletes released?

It amazes me that Trump even got into office, with a tsunami coming against him. It amazes me that he was left standing, as his Republican opponents started falling, one-by-one. It also doesn't surprise me that not ALL Republicans back him, and have attempted to undermine him at every turn, many in Congress. He has withstood tremendous odds. His welcome in China, was the complete opposite of our former President's reception there. That alone is to commended. That is Presidential. He was the only US President in history to be invited into the Forbidden City. This is respect for our President. This is MAJOR. This is Presidential. This alone warrants "approval ratings".

Upvote 0