Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...for months (actually years), we've been hearing the study drumbeat to "secure the border". Three US Senators have been negoitiating for several weeks to craft legislation that would pass the Senate. So when it appears they are close to a deal, what does the leading candidate for the Republican nomination do? He blows up negotiations with a post on Truth Social:

"I do not think we should do a Border Deal, at all, unless we get EVERYTHING needed to shut down the INVASION of Millions & Millions of people, many from parts unknown, into our once great, but soon to be great again, Country!"

Punchbowl News and others reported that McConnell specifically cited a desire not to “undermine” Trump and the fact that the former president would like to campaign on immigration in the 2024 election.

2018: Trump killed another bill:
“Republicans should stop wasting their time on Immigration until after we elect more Senators and Congressmen/women in November,” Trump tweeted. “Dems are just playing games, have no intention of doing anything to solves this decades old problem. We can pass great legislation after the Red Wave!”

After Trump's posting, some Republican US Senators pushed back:

"Only in Washington is our southern border political gamesmanship instead of a national security crisis."
— Sen. James Lankford (@SenatorLankford)

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) called it “appalling” that Trump “would communicate to Republican senators and congresspeople that he doesn’t want us to solve the border problem because he wants to blame [President] Biden for it.”

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) told USA Today, “Is it really better to have 10,000 people crossing a day illegally or 5,000? Clearly it’s 5,000. So somebody who is trying to defeat legislation, all in the name of running for office? That is irresponsible.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) called it a “historic moment” and assured the GOP that it “won’t” get a better deal with Trump as president. “To get this kind of border security without granting a pathway to citizenship is really unheard of,” Graham said.

The No. 2 Senate Republican, Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), offered similar comments, calling it a “unique moment” and arguing that there’s “absolutely no way” to get such a deal under Trump unless Republicans get a 60-seat, filibuster-proof majority.

Reportedly Senators are still trying to get a bill passed, but with the former President seeking to kill it, that may not happen. As I have written on these forums before: The far right doesn't want to solve immigration. They only want to blame the other party

As WaPo's Aaron Blake writes:
"It’s becoming increasingly difficult to dispute that Trump and some Republicans see political value in continuing the border crisis and declining to cut a bipartisan deal that could help Biden politically. GOP lawmakers are now talking openly about that.
A comment I keep coming back to on this is one from Rep. Troy E. Nehls (R-Tex.), who just came out and said it early this month: “I’m not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden’s approval rating.”

Last edited:

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,489.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
“I’m not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden’s approval rating.”
IOW, he is not interested in securing the border. :sigh: They just need to just stop their hypocrisy that they are concerned with securing the border.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Hilarious.

Republicans are beside themselves over the border 'crisis', and yet because this is their go to attack on Biden, that they are refusing any legislation today to make the situation better to help Biden.

Political theater which actually hurts America. This is the republican party today.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...for months (actually years), we've been hearing the study drumbeat to "secure the border". Three US Senators have been negoitiating for several weeks to craft legislation that would pass the Senate. So when it appears they are close to a deal, what does the leading candidate for the Republican nomination do? He blows up negotiations with a post on Truth Social:

"I do not think we should do a Border Deal, at all, unless we get EVERYTHING needed to shut down the INVASION of Millions & Millions of people, many from parts unknown, into our once great, but soon to be great again, Country!"

Punchbowl News and others reported that McConnell specifically cited a desire not to “undermine” Trump and the fact that the former president would like to campaign on immigration in the 2024 election.

“Republicans should stop wasting their time on Immigration until after we elect more Senators and Congressmen/women in November,” Trump tweeted. “Dems are just playing games, have no intention of doing anything to solves this decades old problem. We can pass great legislation after the Red Wave!”

"Only in Washington is our southern border political gamesmanship instead of a national security crisis."

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) called it “appalling” that Trump “would communicate to Republican senators and congresspeople that he doesn’t want us to solve the border problem because he wants to blame [President] Biden for it.”

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) told USA Today, “Is it really better to have 10,000 people crossing a day illegally or 5,000? Clearly it’s 5,000. So somebody who is trying to defeat legislation, all in the name of running for office? That is irresponsible.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) called it a “historic moment” and assured the GOP that it “won’t” get a better deal with Trump as president. “To get this kind of border security without granting a pathway to citizenship is really unheard of,” Graham said.

The No. 2 Senate Republican, Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), offered similar comments, calling it a “unique moment” and arguing that there’s “absolutely no way” to get such a deal under Trump unless Republicans get a 60-seat, filibuster-proof majority.

Reportedly Senators are still trying to get a bill passed, but with the former President seeking to kill it, that may not happen. As I have written on these forums before: The far right doesn't want to solve immigration. They only want to blame the other party

"It’s becoming increasingly difficult to dispute that Trump and some Republicans see political value in continuing the border crisis and declining to cut a bipartisan deal that could help Biden politically. GOP lawmakers are now talking openly about that.
A comment I keep coming back to on this is one from Rep. Troy E. Nehls (R-Tex.), who just came out and said it early this month: “I’m not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden’s approval rating.”

And people want this selfish guy back in office?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

This is why I don’t worry about Trump being president again. He’s been much worse for the GOP and their political agenda than any Democrat could ever even hope to be.

Here’s to 4 more years of killing the Republican Party and conservative movement in the U.S.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think Trump being so open about sabotaging the good of our country for his own political ambitions might finally open some of those closed minds who have been intentionally fooling themselves about Donald's motives. And the motivations of the entire republican party. Hypocrisy doesn't seem like an effective platform anymore. People are wising up little by little. They have all been playing this game for decades (both parties), and Americans are now seeing the repercussions of government inaction on border reforms.

We won't receive a competent government until we demand competence and fortitude at the ballot box. Mr Biden had border reform legislation sent to congress soon after taking office. Signaling a willingness to negotiate and tackle the issue. Yet Americans and migrants continue suffering from congress's failure to act. How long can Americans reward bad behavior with reelection before realizing that destabilizes our country? Voters are a bane to ourselves. I won't stop saying this unless we start wielding our power more effectively.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think Trump being so open about sabotaging the good of our country for his own political ambitions might finally open some of those closed minds who have been intentionally fooling themselves about Donald's motives.
It won’t. If a potential solution does not resolve a given issue with 100% efficacy some folks will rejects said solution out of hand.

See: climate change, gun violence, vaccines, treating addiction as public health instead of forensics, etc.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think Trump being so open about sabotaging the good of our country for his own political ambitions might finally open some of those closed minds who have been intentionally fooling themselves about Donald's motives.
Both parties do it. But Trump is showing his lunacy as time goes on.
We won't receive a competent government until we demand competence and fortitude at the ballot box.
Lord if this ain't the truth!
Mr Biden had border reform legislation sent to congress soon after taking office.
I believe this was to undo Trump's policy. Now he plans to bring the same policies that Trump had for the Ukraine war funding.
Signaling a willingness to negotiate and tackle the issue.
Lord, please! I think we are all too polarized and beyond hope. I would like to see some of the issues tackled from 15- 20 years ago.

Upvote 0

groll2000

Jul 28, 2023
Dallas
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is why I don’t worry about Trump being president again. He’s been much worse for the GOP and their political agenda than any Democrat could ever even hope to be.

Here’s to 4 more years of killing the Republican Party and conservative movement in the U.S.
Why would you desire to rid the republican party and conservatism? To be honest, I would def desire to rid the nation of certain political ideologies but wouldn’t be so crast to vocalize it. Political Diversity is not a bad thing, it’s a very positive thing. Not everyone shares the same beliefs as you. To believe everyone should share the same ideology is very narcisstic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Why would you desire to rid the republican party and conservatism?

They are doing it to themselves. Why should he try to stop them? I won't. I hope they destroy their own party, then finally conservative adults will take it back and try to do better.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It won’t. If a potential solution does not resolve a given issue with 100% efficacy some folks will rejects said solution out of hand.

See: climate change, gun violence, vaccines, treating addiction as public health instead of forensics, etc.

You are not wrong in terms of recent history. I just feel optimistic that truth will eventually win the day and voters will be forced to move on from Mr Trump. And in turn, people will be forced to acknowledge the issues we have allowed politicians to avoid need addressed now.

Americans are seeing diminishing returns on our investments in the voting process. Donald Trump will be out of the picture relatively soon. But Americans still desperately need an effective government. Once voters see we can motivate the politicians into working again by demanding more, those said politicians will be more inclined to work together and actually improve living conditions for constituents. The biggest reason politicians give up on mitigating gun violence and climate change is because we let them. We have yet to demand government prioritize these issues, so naturally politicians will earn their pay with as little effort and success as possible. Seeing colleagues sent home by voters seems like the best motivation voters can offer lackadaisical politicians.

There are few democrats in DC whom I would reelect for office, and I cannot think of one republican up there who deserves reelection. Congress is where employment turnover should be higher, not every other business in America. I would estimate at least a 20% turnover rate every two years would drastically improve the performance of government in America. The turnover rate in congress is 1.7% last I checked. We make it so easy for the elites to exploit us. It's maddening. Tribalism is not a solution for anything. It is one of our biggest problems. If congress cannot work together, our democracy cannot work properly. We all suffer from dysfunctional government.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IOW, he is not interested in securing the border. :sigh: They just need to just stop their hypocrisy that they are concerned with securing the border.
Why? Trump's actions and statements regarding the border and immigrants are a major PLUS for him, the 2nd most import issue for him, after "They're out to get me, and you".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

So, you have faith in the courts to get Trump to leave office. Certainly, he won't leave on his own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,489.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why? Trump's actions and statements regarding the border and immigrants are a major PLUS for him, the 2nd most import issue for hiem, after "They're out to get me, and you".
And lemmings believe him. :sigh:

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I guess that we have all forgotten what happened last time. I am NOT willing to have more years of Trump and then have more years trying to remove him from office.

Upvote 0

groll2000

Jul 28, 2023
Dallas
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why would you desire to rid the republican party and conservatism? To be honest, I would def desire to rid the nation
And lemmings believe him. :sigh:

Upvote 0

groll2000

Jul 28, 2023
Dallas
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are not wrong in terms of recent history. I just feel optimistic that truth will eventually win the day and voters will be forced to move on from Mr Trump. And in turn, people will be forced to acknowledge the issues we have allowed politicians to avoid need addressed now.

Americans are seeing diminishing returns on our investments in the voting process. Donald Trump will be out of the picture relatively soon. But Americans still desperately need an effective government. Once voters see we can motivate the politicians into working again by demanding more, those said politicians will be more inclined to work together and actually improve living conditions for constituents. The biggest reason politicians give up on mitigating gun violence and climate change is because we let them. We have yet to demand government prioritize these issues, so naturally politicians will earn their pay with as little effort and success as possible. Seeing colleagues sent home by voters seems like the best motivation voters can offer lackadaisical politicians.

There are few democrats in DC whom I would reelect for office, and I cannot think of one republican up there who deserves reelection. Congress is where employment turnover should be higher, not every other business in America. I would estimate at least a 20% turnover rate every two years would drastically improve the performance of government in America. The turnover rate in congress is 1.7% last I checked. We make it so easy for the elites to exploit us. It's maddening. Tribalism is not a solution for anything. It is one of our biggest problems. If congress cannot work together, our democracy cannot work properly. We all suffer from dysfunctional government.
I’ll be Voting for President Trump with joy and satisfaction.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.