Nov 30, 2011
✟743.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
True to their annual tactics, the liberal religious community tries again to hijack the Jesus story to bolster one of their political misadventures. A few years ago we were treated to a rash of "Jesus had to be born in a manger, because the holy family was homeless." No, we had to explain, Mary and Joseph were not homeless. They were forced by government mandate having to do with taxation - governments are all the same - to be travelling away from their home in Nazareth when Jesus was born. There was no room in the inn because many other people had been forced to travel as well. So much for that ridiculous meme.

This year, we're being subjected to "Jesus was an illegal immigrant" foolishness. I can hardly wait to find out next year that Jesus was a member of ACORN.

The American Spectator : Was Baby Jesus an Illegal Immigrant?

At Christmas time, should the Nativity story be interpreted as a tale of solidarity with illegal immigrants? Some religious voices, anxious to push some version of liberalized immigration policy as a Christian imperative, describe Jesus and the Holy Family as the most premier of illegal immigrants.

A recent column for the National Catholic Reporter similarly posited that Mary and Joseph, with Baby Jesus, were akin to today's illegals by "seeking posada, or shelter" but finding no room at the inn. "The Christmas season should remind us of how Mary and Joseph and the baby Jesus also represented migrants and refugees who were rejected like today's immigrants," the columnist suggested. "What if those we turn away today include Mary, Joseph and Jesus?" A cynical commenter responded: "What if the illegal aliens we reject are Herod or the soldiers who crucified Jesus?"

The imagined view of Jesus as illegal immigrant is not limited to liberal Unitarian Universalists. Earlier this year, a prominent Southern Baptist seminary dean wrote that "our Lord Jesus himself was a so-called 'illegal immigrant.'" After all, Mary and Joseph had fled, "like many of those in our country right now, a brutal political situation," and "sojourned" in Egypt. Young Jesus "spent his childhood years in a foreign land away from his relatives among people speaking a different language with strange customs."

Yes, but which Egyptian immigration laws did Mary and Joseph violate when they fled there to protect the Baby Jesus from a murderous King Herod? Neither Scripture nor non-canonical sources reveal any such violations. Joseph, Mary and Jesus remained in Egypt until Herod was dead, when they settled in Nazareth. They were essentially temporary religious refugees who fled persecution. Besides, if both ancient Judaea and ancient Egypt were under the Roman Empire, was moving from one to the other an act of "immigration," much less "illegal"

No, there's no historical reason to believe that Joseph, Mary and Baby Jesus were ever illegal immigrants to Egypt or anywhere else. They temporarily were refugees from murderous religious and political persecution. Unlike the Holy family, most illegal immigrants come to America seeking higher wages, not fleeing persecution.

Last edited:

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There was no room in the inn because many other people had been forced to travel as well. So much for that ridiculous meme.

Let's put this 'meme' to rest. There was 'no room in the Inn' for Mary's entourage, those who travelled with her and Joseph, who would assist in the birth of her child. In early fall, when Jesus was born, the animals that wintered in the stables were pastured in the fields, leaving these spaces available for other uses. Joseph would certainly have made housing arrangements prior to their arrival in Bethlehem. Rooms in such 'Inns' were sleeping accomodations only and would not have served the needs of a woman about to give birth.

The traditional nativity scene is another false meme. No animals were present, nor shepherds, nor wise men.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
[FONT=times new roman, times]"The story of Jesus's birth, as well as his death, remains as rooted in the historical record as it was before ...[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman, times]We know where Jesus was born, to whom, and more or less when. Were Jesus politically minded, it would not have been hard to establish his status as a citizen of Roman Judaea or to confirm it 2,000 years after his birth. (To be sure, the "natural born" part might prove a little tricky.) [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman, times]No such luck with our president, Barack Obama. The most visible man in the world's most transparent society remains as much an enigma as he was four years ago. If the faithless in the media and academia investigate Jesus, only the faithful in those same quarters have been allowed to investigate Obama. Were there an "Obama Seminar," its members would be booted from every faculty lounge and newsroom in America, FOX News included."[/FONT]

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course animals aren't mentioned, and the wise men arrived later on. But didn't the shepherds "find the babe lying in a manger"?
Yes, they did. Luke 2:15ff. They probably weren't there for the birth, being notified of it after the fact, but they did visit the child shortly thereafter.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True to their annual tactics, the liberal religious community tries again to hijack the Jesus story to bolster one of their political misadventures. A few years ago we were treated to a rash of "Jesus had to be born in a manger, because the holy family was homeless." No, we had to explain, Mary and Joseph were not homeless. They were forced by government mandate having to do with taxation - governments are all the same - to be travelling away from their home in Nazareth when Jesus was born. There was no room in the inn because many other people had been forced to travel as well. So much for that ridiculous meme.

This year, we're being subjected to "Jesus was an illegal immigrant" foolishness. I can hardly wait to find out next year that Jesus was a member of ACORN.

True to your daily tactics, you once again attack all liberals. No, my mistake, this time you only attack all religious liberals.

There was a study published last year detailing how certain people were literally incapable of understanding metaphors.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True to your daily tactics, you once again attack all liberals. No, my mistake, this time you only attack all religious liberals.

There was a study published last year detailing how certain people were literally incapable of understanding metaphors.
I remember perhaps a similar study detailing how certain people were literally incapable of grasping the concept of a generality, people inclined, whether by hard-wired personality, or by disposition, to choose to take specific, personal offense at statements understood by everyone else as clearly intended to be general in nature.

"People think in generalities. Make the general illegal or anathema and you destroy the freedom to think. Do that, and you destroy the individual." Anon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Next time I'll try harder to include all liberals.
Next time and the next and the next and the next and the next and the next - if you past posts portend the future.

There is suppose to be some rule about goading, flaming and insulting groups of members here, but it evidently doesn't apply to some groups and some people are allowed to insult, goad and flame who they will (as long as the targets are liberals). You can even brag about how you are flouting the rules as they don't apply to you, evidently.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember perhaps a similar study detailing how certain people were literally incapable of grasping the concept of a generality, people inclined, whether by hard-wired personality, or by disposition, to choose to take specific, personal offense at statements understood by everyone else as clearly intended to be general in nature.
I don't believe that such a study exists. Your memory is perhaps faulty. I wouldn't dare suggest anything more nefarious such as your simply making it up because, while insulting, flaming, mocking, belittling and goading members or groups of members may technically be against the rules, suggesting the obvious will win a sanction - so, that is not what I'm doing. However, a citation or retraction would clear that up. Or perhaps another of your claims that this is merely a bantering jest? Please, do clarify.

"People think in generalities. Make the general illegal or anathema and you destroy the freedom to think. Do that, and you destroy the individual." Anon.
Ha, ha - good one. Insult a group and then proclaim, "Oh, well, don't take it personally". Do you think that fools anyone (other than the ones charged with enforcing the forum rules)?

Upvote 0

oliverb

Nov 30, 2011
✟743.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Next time and the next and the next and the next and the next and the next - if you past posts portend the future.

There is suppose to be some rule about goading, flaming and insulting groups of members here, but it evidently doesn't apply to some groups and some people are allowed to insult, goad and flame who they will (as long as the targets are liberals). You can even brag about how you are flouting the rules as they don't apply to you, evidently.

I'm sorry you think so, but you really have no idea if, or how many times, I've been contacted by administrators, do you?

Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm rather surprised that you are not banned for your constant needling of all conservative posters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

At Christmas time, should the Nativity story be interpreted as a tale of solidarity with illegal immigrants? Some religious voices, anxious to push some version of liberalized immigration policy as a Christian imperative, describe Jesus and the Holy Family as the most premier of illegal immigrants.

A recent column for the National Catholic Reporter similarly posited that Mary and Joseph, with Baby Jesus, were akin to today's illegals by "seeking posada, or shelter" but finding no room at the inn. "The Christmas season should remind us of how Mary and Joseph and the baby Jesus also represented migrants and refugees who were rejected like today's immigrants," the columnist suggested. "What if those we turn away today include Mary, Joseph and Jesus?" A cynical commenter responded: "What if the illegal aliens we reject are Herod or the soldiers who crucified Jesus?"

The imagined view of Jesus as illegal immigrant is not limited to liberal Unitarian Universalists. Earlier this year, a prominent Southern Baptist seminary dean wrote that "our Lord Jesus himself was a so-called 'illegal immigrant.'" After all, Mary and Joseph had fled, "like many of those in our country right now, a brutal political situation," and "sojourned" in Egypt. Young Jesus "spent his childhood years in a foreign land away from his relatives among people speaking a different language with strange customs."

Yes, but which Egyptian immigration laws did Mary and Joseph violate when they fled there to protect the Baby Jesus from a murderous King Herod? Neither Scripture nor non-canonical sources reveal any such violations. Joseph, Mary and Jesus remained in Egypt until Herod was dead, when they settled in Nazareth. They were essentially temporary religious refugees who fled persecution. Besides, if both ancient Judaea and ancient Egypt were under the Roman Empire, was moving from one to the other an act of "immigration," much less "illegal"

No, there's no historical reason to believe that Joseph, Mary and Baby Jesus were ever illegal immigrants to Egypt or anywhere else. They temporarily were refugees from murderous religious and political persecution. Unlike the Holy family, most illegal immigrants come to America seeking higher wages, not fleeing persecution.

This is one of those examples of religious liberals twisting God's message to fit a political agenda. Instead of marveling at the miracle of God becoming a child like us, and giving thanks for His salvation, they've convoluted it into some sort of pathetic message of PC garbage. God doesn't contradict Himself.

Romans 13

1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

These false teachers would have us believe that God contradicts His own commands and that our sinless Savior broke the law, and the He was such a hypocrite that he forbids us from doing the same. No, Jesus was not a lawbreaker, not an illegal immigrant, and not an example to justify those who break the law.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm rather surprised that you are not banned for your constant needling of all conservative posters.
I don't twist their views and dismiss them as garbage the way you do a few posts down (or up, depending on the starting point), right?

And I know how to work the quote thingies!

All conservative posters, childofGod1? That's a gross, um, exaggeration.

Upvote 0