Trump open for possibly new defamation lawsuit by Carroll

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,064.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Stupid question, from a legal point of view. If trump appealed the original case and was found not to have raped her by a later court, would that remove the defemation judgement?
I believe that he's appealing the verdict that was handed down in January this year. Which only considered the amount of compensation. And not the case in '23 when it was found that he sexually assaulted her.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Who can trust a President who repeated makes the same stupid mistakes because he can’t keep his temper?

People have said the Mr Trump has the emotional capabilities of a toddler. Can there be any other explanation for his repeated, baffling behaviour?
Narcissism?

-- A2SG, just a thought....

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
And Trump did it again on CNBC.

With the possible hilarity on top that considering where he did it this time, if Carroll decides to sue a third time, because of where it happened it would likely end up before Judge Kaplan again.

Edit: I'll keep my OP as is, but the horse face comment was from a different event after I looked into it, I mixed the last weekends one with another.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Narcissism?

-- A2SG, just a thought....
Yeah, there’s a general stable personality trait of psychopathy where the individual is unable to learn from negative results.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Is that referencing his 'horse face' comment?
Rein in your efforts at humour, else people will bridle at them and you will be saddled with justifying the post.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Stupid question, from a legal point of view. If trump appealed the original case and was found not to have raped her by a later court, would that remove the defemation judgement?
The original case was also a defamation case, not a rape trial. He already lost the appeal.

"A federal appeals court in New York on Friday returned E. Jean Carroll's initial case against former President Donald Trump to a district court judge who had previously decided Trump did not act within the scope of his employment as president when he denied Carroll's rape claim and allegedly defamed her."

Trump counter-sued Carroll, and lost that too.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The original case was also a defamation case, not a rape trial. He already lost the appeal.

"A federal appeals court in New York on Friday returned E. Jean Carroll's initial case against former President Donald Trump to a district court judge who had previously decided Trump did not act within the scope of his employment as president when he denied Carroll's rape claim and allegedly defamed her."
Technically, he didn't lose the appeal - it was straight up denied (i.e. the appeals court saw absolutely nothing wrong with the original trial).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Semantics.

....and the result is the same as losing. He did not win on appeal.
The result is the same, but the implications are stronger. If you appeal, and the judge grants you an appeal hearing, that means that your argument for appeal had some merit, even if you ultimately end up losing the appeal. If the appeal gets sent back, as Trump's did, that means you had no grounds for appeal in the first place (i.e. you're just making stuff up).

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
INAL, but my understanding is that it wouldn't automatically. The second case would need to be appealed separately since defamation was found to have occurred as a matter of law. I have no idea what direction the Appellate Division or Court of Appeals would take though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
At a rally, Trump complained about having to post 91 million bond for the appeal and called Carrolls words "a fake story, a totally made-up story." And while not in the link, on a clip from YouTube of the rally, I believe he called her a horseface and claimed again that he didn't know her. Claims that led him to the current 91 million judgement to begin with.
"My mamma always said that 'stupid is what stupid does'"

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The gift that keeps on giving.
He really can't help himself. He can't live with the knowledge that he's the loser, and so he keeps running his mouth to convince himself that he actually won. I can imagine a jury thinking, "Okay an $83 million judgement didn't get your attention, so..."

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Technically, the jury found that Trump had sexually assaulted her; they neither confirmed nor denied that he raped her.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He really can't help himself. He can't live with the knowledge that he's the loser, and so he keeps running his mouth to convince himself that he actually won. I can imagine a jury thinking, "Okay an $83 million judgement didn't get your attention, so…”

And he is a loser.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0