The Ten Horns of Revelation 17’s Beast

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,408.00
Faith
Christian
I believe the global jihad is the image of the beast of Revelation 13, the ten horns of Revelation 17’s beast.

The beast’s ten horns, as shown in Daniel 2’a images as toes of clay and iron mixed together, are the residue of the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire moved to Constantinople in the 4th Century CE. In 1453, the Ottoman Empire took control most of the Roman Territory and labeled their leader Kaiser-I-Rum (Caesar of Rome). That empire collapsed in 1917, whereby territories were partitioned and eventually became independent. Those kingdoms operate on the united front as Islamist states, although they don’t all agree on religious authority, as if they were a spiritual image of the Roman Empire. I believe this is the image John saw in Revelation 13, the image that spoke and condemned people to death if they refused to recant of their religion and take on the religion of the false prophet.

Thoughts

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe the global jihad is the image of the beast of Revelation 13, the ten horns of Revelation 17’s beast.
The ten horns are ten kings (leaders), of one kingdom, which they will give to the beast (king) in Revelation 17:17. They will be ten EU leaders.

jihad which is muslim religious war is in the news this past week with the events going on Israel. In the news everyday as Israel is at war with Hamas and Hezbollah. A lot of innocent people are dying on the Israeli side and the Palestinian side. Where its all heading is hard to say.

The image of the beast will be a statue image made of the beast king, to be placed on the Temple mount, as the abomination of desolation.

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,408.00
Faith
Christian
But those are different beasts. Which one are you referring to? The scarlet beast or the one from the sea?
They are all connected. The dragon of Revelation 12 are the seven Gentile Empires that would rule over the Jews from Babylon to Rome. The beast from the sea in Revelation 13 is the Roman Empire from the time Jerusalem was destroyed until the Ottoman Empire conquered Constantinople. The beast from the earth, also called the False Prophet, is Ottoman Empire. The scarlet beast in Revelation 17 is the imperial cult, as driven by money-hungry priests. The seven heads are the seven Roman emperors that had established imperial cults while they ruled.

1. Octavian Augustus
2. Tiberius
3. Gaius Caligula
4. Claudius
5. Nero
6. Vespasian
7. Titus (only ruled two years)

The beast itself is an eighth head, but differs in that it speaks of itself as a god. That was Domitian.

Therefore, at the time the ten horns give their authority to the beast, it will be a ruler that demands people worship him. I don’t see how this can be yet, since that entire part of the world is Muslim, but I have a feeling we will soon see. But the false prophet is able to perform miracles, so that might be how.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
They are all connected. The dragon of Revelation 12 are the seven Gentile Empires that would rule over the Jews from Babylon to Rome. The beast from the sea in Revelation 13 is the Roman Empire from the time Jerusalem was destroyed until the Ottoman Empire conquered Constantinople. The beast from the earth, also called the False Prophet, is Ottoman Empire. The scarlet beast in Revelation 17 is the imperial cult, as driven by money-hungry priests. The seven heads are the seven Roman emperors that had established imperial cults while they ruled.

1. Octavian Augustus
2. Tiberius
3. Gaius Caligula
4. Claudius
5. Nero
6. Vespasian
7. Titus (only ruled two years)

The beast itself is an eighth head, but differs in that it speaks of itself as a god. That was Domitian.

Therefore, at the time the ten horns give their authority to the beast, it will be a ruler that demands people worship him. I don’t see how this can be yet, since that entire part of the world is Muslim, but I have a feeling we will soon see. But the false prophet is able to perform miracles, so that might be how.
The beasts are different beasts. I disagree with your placing the beasts into the past.
Again you are talking as if the beasts are the same but if you chose to study you would see many differences that indicate that, although similar, they are not the same beast.

Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,408.00
Faith
Christian
Wow, that’s a bunch of sweeping judgment and condescending tone. I have studied eschatology for over 20 years and have a BS in Biblical and Theological Studies, summa cum laude. I’m not speaking out of ignorance. Quite the opposite.

The current frameworks of thought do not let Scripture speak for itself. It speaks from a school of thought. If only the eschatologists could open their mind…the same problem theologians had when they rejected Jesus’ teaching on the messiah when he said the messiah must be rejected, die and be resurrected three days later.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The beast’s ten horns, as shown in Daniel 2’a images as toes of clay and iron mixed together, are the residue of the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire moved to Constantinople in the 4th Century CE. In 1453, the Ottoman Empire took control most of the Roman Territory and labeled their leader Kaiser-I-Rum (Caesar of Rome). That empire collapsed in 1917, whereby territories were partitioned and eventually became independent. Those kingdoms operate on the united front as Islamist states, although they don’t all agree on religious authority, as if they were a spiritual image of the Roman Empire. I believe this is the image John saw in Revelation 13, the image that spoke and condemned people to death if they refused to recant of their religion and take on the religion of the false prophet.

Thoughts
I don't agree on your identification of the 10 Horns of Antichrist with Turkey, etc., but I do think the historic facts you point out are very significant. The fact that Islamic Turkey has assumed the territory of the original Eastern part of the Roman Empire indicates the central role Islam was to play in turning the West against the Jews.

I personally believe the 10 Horns are European powers who will be consolidated under the Antichristian Empire, perhaps 5 from the Western Germanic countries and 5 from the Eastern Slavic countries. They may include Russia, and they may include the US as well--I don't know, and I hope not. But I do think it very likely that Russia will play a big role in the attack upon Israel, sometime in the future.

There is no question that Turkey hopes to sway NATO against Israel and against Christian interests. I wish Turkey was *not* part of NATO! At any rate, we can watch in real time how prophecy will evolve. Thanks.

Reactions: Barraco
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The ten horns are ten kings (leaders), of one kingdom, which they will give to the beast (king) in Revelation 17:17. They will be ten EU leaders.

jihad which is muslim religious war is in the news this past week with the events going on Israel. In the news everyday as Israel is at war with Hamas and Hezbollah. A lot of innocent people are dying on the Israeli side and the Palestinian side. Where its all heading is hard to say.

The image of the beast will be a statue image made of the beast king, to be placed on the Temple mount, as the abomination of desolation.
The idea of the EU being the ten horns was promoted in the late twentieth century when the EU was first developed. At that time there were ten countries involved and some folks made the connection with the number ten. Since then, of course, far more than ten countries have joined the EU and one, Great Britain, has dropped out. To say the least, this makes this interpretation of the ten horns problematic.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't agree on your identification of the 10 Horns of Antichrist with Turkey, etc., but I do think the historic facts you point out are very significant. The fact that Islamic Turkey has assumed the territory of the original Eastern part of the Roman Empire indicates the central role Islam was to play in turning the West against the Jews.

I personally believe the 10 Horns are European powers who will be consolidated under the Antichristian Empire, perhaps 5 from the Western Germanic countries and 5 from the Eastern Slavic countries. They may include Russia, and they may include the US as well--I don't know, and I hope not. But I do think it very likely that Russia will play a big role in the attack upon Israel, sometime in the future.

There is no question that Turkey hopes to sway NATO against Israel and against Christian interests. I wish Turkey was *not* part of NATO! At any rate, we can watch in real time how prophecy will evolve. Thanks.
Turkey encompasses Asia Minor, which was not the same area occupied by the Eastern Roman Empire. Asia Minor is only a very small part of the Eastern Roman Empire. The boundaries of the ERE were rather fluid as the Empire, as a whole, went into decline. It was not a simple geographical entity. There were Roman forts and frontier towns in modern-day Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, northern Africa, etc.

Thus, it is incorrect to conflate modern Turkey with the Eastern Roman Empire. If one were to make a comparison, perhaps the Ottoman Empire would be a better analogy, although still quite incorrect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's cyclic. The same type of events occur over and over throughout history as mankind is so predictable in their pursuit of self interest. Rev applies to all time.
Actually, there are things in the Revelation which do apply to all time. One of the primary takeaways I have from Revelation is the revealing of the person and work of Jesus Christ. No other book in the Bible reveals nearly as much about Him. Thus, He is worthy of perpetual worship and adoration. Hallelujah!

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The idea of the EU being the ten horns was promoted in the late twentieth century when the EU was first developed. At that time there were ten countries involved and some folks made the connection with the number ten. Since then, of course, far more than ten countries have joined the EU and one, Great Britain, has dropped out. To say the least, this makes this interpretation of the ten horns problematic.
bob, ten kings, leaders, not ten countries. It remains to be seen what that group will be. Maybe a ten king defense council, in similitude to the United Nations security council permanent members of China, France, Russia, the U.K., the United States..

I understand what you are saying about the more that ten countries. I remember Jack Van Impe theorizing that when Spain became number 11, that Juan Carlos was the Antichrist.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Turkey encompasses Asia Minor, which was not the same area occupied by the Eastern Roman Empire. Asia Minor is only a very small part of the Eastern Roman Empire. The boundaries of the ERE were rather fluid as the Empire, as a whole, went into decline. It was not a simple geographical entity. There were Roman forts and frontier towns in modern-day Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, northern Africa, etc.

Thus, it is incorrect to conflate modern Turkey with the Eastern Roman Empire. If one were to make a comparison, perhaps the Ottoman Empire would be a better analogy, although still quite incorrect.
The point I made was not that modern Turkey is the equivalent of the Eastern Roman Empire, but that the Byzantine Empire included the area of modern Turkey. The Ottoman Turks conquered Constantinople, it ultimately being renamed Istanbul. Your concern is irrelevant to my point--sorry.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
bob, ten kings, leaders, not ten countries. It remains to be seen what that group will be. Maybe a ten king defense council, in similitude to the United Nations security council permanent members of China, France, Russia, the U.K., the United States..

I understand what you are saying about the more that ten countries. I remember Jack Van Impe theorizing that when Spain became number 11, that Juan Carlos was the Antichrist.
The EU theory is somewhat like a hurricane. Forecasters saw it clearly coming and faithfully warned people of its reality and its consequences. Unfortunately, it never made landfall and is petering out over the ocean. The best that can be said of it now is that it is not a good model for prediction. In Islam (at least in Shi'a Islam) there have been similar scenarios in recent years, not to mention past centuries, concerning the return of Mohammed and the establishment of a worldwide caliphate. The ayatollahs in Iran were extremely effective in promoting their understanding to the point where they were able to overthrow the shah and establish what they believed to be the beginnings of the caliphate. Unfortunately for them, all of their predictions, not least of which was the annihilation of all the Jews, have failed and they are now fighting a defensive battle to maintain their grip on Iran.

The bright side of the Islamic dilemma is that many Muslims have become quite disenchanted with Islam and are open to other religions, especially Christianity. The dark side for those who ascribe to a particular scenario regarding the end times of Christianity is the same thing - disillusionment with Christianity and an openness to other beliefs, especially agnosticism and atheism. We see this happening in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints which is busily hemorrhaging members, especially young members.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The EU theory is somewhat like a hurricane. Forecasters saw it clearly coming and faithfully warned people of its reality and its consequences. Unfortunately, it never made landfall and is petering out over the ocean. The best that can be said of it now is that it is not a good model for prediction.
I couldn't disagree more. It is often accepted that the 4th Kingdom of Dan 2 and 7 represented the Roman Empire, which we know became 2 halves, East and West--just like the image in Nebuchadnezzar's dream. And *all through history* these two halves have appeared as significant realities, in whatever form they took.

Even the language used to describe them maintain this reality. In the East, the Greek tradition became the religion of the Slavic peoples. And in the West, the Latin tradition became the religion of the Germanic peoples.

We still call this "Western Europe" and "Eastern Europe." And the fact both Nebuchadnezzar and Daniel saw this entity reduced into 10 states indicates they accurately portrayed the realities of the history of Europe, as empires dissolves into political states.

Why you see this is "petering out" I don't know, unless what you call the "EU theory" does not accurately reflect what that belief is in all cases? Certainly Hal Lindsay's idea of the Common Market becoming the 10 nations of the Beast did not come true. But the "theory" is much bigger than that and encompasses the history of Western Civilization. I know--I've studied it with this in mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I couldn't disagree more. It is often accepted that the 4th Kingdom of Dan 2 and 7 represented the Roman Empire, which we know became 2 halves, East and West--just like the image in Nebuchadnezzar's dream. And *all through history* these two halves have appeared as significant realities, in whatever form they took.

Even the language used to describe them maintain this reality. In the East, the Greek tradition became the religion of the Slavic peoples. And in the West, the Latin tradition became the religion of the Germanic peoples.

We still call this "Western Europe" and "Eastern Europe." And the fact both Nebuchadnezzar and Daniel saw this entity reduced into 10 states indicates they accurately portrayed the realities of the history of Europe, as empires dissolves into political states.

Why you see this is "petering out" I don't know, unless what you call the "EU theory" does not accurately reflect what that belief is in all cases? Certainly Hal Lindsay's idea of the Common Market becoming the 10 nations of the Beast did not come true. But the "theory" is much bigger than that and encompasses the history of Western Civilization. I know--I've studied it with this in mind.
The EU theory was, originally, quite crisp and well-defined. Simply, it was that the ten nations which comprised the European Union were the ten horns of Daniel and would fulfill Daniel's prophecy. This was because all of them together precisely aligned with the boundaries of the Roman Empire.

Early critics of this theory were quick to point out that the political boundaries of the modern EU did not, in fact, align with those of the Roman Empire. For example, Great Britain included Scotland which was never part of the Roman Empire. Moreover, the boundaries of the Roman Empire were never entirely static and fixed, but kept expanding and contracting relative to military conquests and defeats.

The most significant blow to the theory came when other countries joined the EU, especially countries which had never had the slightest connection to the Roman Empire. Apologists for the EU theory then began reinterpreting the theory. One interesting permutation was the idea that the ten horns were not actual modern nations, but ten distinct cultures of people found within the boundaries of the former Roman Empire. The argument against that theory was that there were dozens of distinct cultures within the original Roman Empire and that many of those have disappeared entirely and others have blended into other cultures to one extent or another. For example, the Angles and the Saxons merged fairly early to form the Anglo-Saxon culture which is found from England to Romania.

The simple reality is that the ten horns cannot be easily determined from the political and geographical landscape of Europe and Asia in the twenty-first century.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In Islam (at least in Shi'a Islam) there have been similar scenarios in recent years, not to mention past centuries, concerning the return of Mohammed and the establishment of a worldwide caliphate. The ayatollahs in Iran were extremely effective in promoting their understanding to the point where they were able to overthrow the shah and establish what they believed to be the beginnings of the caliphate. Unfortunately for them, all of their predictions, not least of which was the annihilation of all the Jews, have failed and they are now fighting a defensive battle to maintain their grip on Iran.
bob, the Muslims have their own version of the end times and a arch villian who they call the dajjal - their version of the Antichrist. Instead of the return of Mohammed, the Muslims are looking for a super Muslim figure called the Mahdi. The shia called him the twelfth Iman. Muslims who maintain the twelfth Iman view, call themselves "twelvers".

In their view, the dajjal's and the Mahdi's armies face off in a final battle, and when it looks like the dajjal might win, their version of Jesus - Isa - returns and destroys the dajjal and his armies. Which according to Muslims, will include 30,000 Jews. And btw, their version of Jesus, Isa, will at that time destroy all Christians for us saying Jesus is the Son of God, God Himself.

The whole thing is preposterous. But that is what Muslims believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,040.00
Faith
Non-Denom
bob, the Muslim have their own version of the end times and a arch villian who they call the dajjal - their version of the Antichrist. Instead of the return of Mohammed, the Muslims are looking for a super Muslim figure called the Mahdi. The shia called him the twelfth Iman. Muslims who maintain the twelfth Iman view, call themselves "twelvers".

In their view, the dajjal's and the Mahdi's face off in a final battle, and when it looks like the dajjal might win, their version of Jesus - Isa - returns and destroys the dajjal and his armies. Which according to Muslims, will include 30,000 Jews. And btw, their version of Jesus, Isa, will at that time destroy all Christians for us saying Jesus is the Son of God, God Himself.

The whole thing is preposterous. But that is what Muslims believe.
Thank you for the clarification. It is much appreciated!

Upvote 0

AYM

Amillenial (I think)
Oct 17, 2023
Southern US
✟1,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't necessarily believe the 10 toes are the EU, but to be fair, Daniel 2:43 does say "but they shall not cleave one to another".

Upvote 0