Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Christ emphasized hate, the language I used was denial of self.

Please, elaborate.

Otherwise one might think that Jesus prompted believers to hate on and reject their own families for instance, like cults do.

You see where i'm going with this?

Clarity is a GOOD thing, is it not?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please, elaborate.

Otherwise one might think that Jesus prompted believers to hate on and reject their own families for instance, like cults do.

You see where i'm going with this?

Clarity is a GOOD thing, is it not?
Sure, can I ask what isn't clear in my post?
If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. ~Luke 14:26

denial of self is at the forefront of the gospel so whatever is a part of our life or whatever defines us in terms of earthly qualities we are called to deny to follow Christ. You may write this off as an interpretation but doing so would be irresponsible as this is the logic of the verse not it's interpretation.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Sure, can I ask what isn't clear in my post?

Well the word "hate" without as much as a "qualification of which "context" Jesus meant, of course.

That was not, nor has it been clear based on your posts in this thread.

Jesus Himself said that the greatest commandment is what?

• Winner
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well the word "hate" without as much as a "qualification of which "context" Jesus meant, of course.

That was not, nor has it been clear based on your posts in this thread.

Jesus Himself said that the greatest commandment is what?

My focus was on denial of self and outside of the scriptural quote I do not use the word hate. So could you rephrase your question to fit the focus I used?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My focus was on denial of self and outside of the scriptural quote I do not use the word hate. So could you rephrase your question to fit the focus I used?

On the contrary, you repeated the word "hate" several times without elaboration, or context.

Therefore one was left wondering if Jesus was admonishing His followers to "hate" their families, etc.

It begs clarity. Otherwise Jesus is seemingly being mis-represented. Your response was that they are "Jesus' words".

And left it at that.

Did you not?

• Winner
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On the contrary, you repeated the word "hate" several times without elaboration, or context.

Therefore one was left wondering if Jesus was admonishing His followers to "hate" their families, etc.

It begs clarity. Otherwise Jesus is seemingly being mis-represented. Your response was that they are "Jesus' words".

And left it at that.

Did you not?
I think you have me confused with another poster. I went through every post I made and I use the word "hate" once and that was while quoting scripture. Outside of this I do not use the word "hate" (with the exception of examples like these). It's concerning to me that we can carry a conversion on this long and when I even reposted what I said for clarity and you see have not taken time to respond to my words and I'm left wondering if you have even read them. It makes me feel this is agenda driven and I'm being targeted.

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is long overdue, it is time America stopped being a foot mat for the world and started demanding better treatment. Counties have taken advantage of America in trade and now that we have a good President who wants to fix America, getting taken advantage of in trade by other countries will end. It is high time other countries pay their own way.

Well said Trembling, well said.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you have me confused with another poster. I went through every post I made and I use the word "hate" once and that was while quoting scripture. Outside of this I do not use the word "hate" (with the exception of examples like these). It's concerning to me that we can carry a conversion on this long and when I even reposted what I said for clarity and you see have not taken time to respond to my words and I'm left wondering if you have even read them. It makes me feel this is agenda driven and I'm being targeted.

I most certainly did read your words, and thus my response.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi tutorman,

This thread is for those that think we should hate our own country. I know a lot of you go by the Bible alone so if you would kindly show me the chapter and verse where we are told to hate our country. I do not desire your interpretation but the exact book, chapter, and verse please. Thank you

I also would question your use of the word 'hate' for describing how some believers feel about patriotism to their country. As other posters have pointed out, for the born again believer, the Scriptures describe us as being without a home here on the earth. We are referred to as 'sojourning'. Another poster pointed out that the Scriptures do tell us that we are to be respectful and abiding of the earthly authorities as they were instituted by God, but...

I think one needs to consider that when those words were written in the Scriptures, the United States of America didn't exist. So those words must refer to all nations and that's my position. What I don't like about the general attitude of Americans is that we seem to project this attitude that we're better than everyone else. That our nation is better, our government is better, our people are better. We're just all around better people because we were blessed to be born in the U.S. I didn't have anything to do with where I was born, and neither do most other babies. Cuban parents have children in Cuba and the are, therefore, Cuban citizens. Mexican parents have Mexican babies and are Mexican citizens. British parents have children in Great Britain and they are then British citizens, etc., etc.

Americans are blessed to have been born for the most party in America because America is a nation that does, in some ways better than other nations, respect the individual rights of its people. But there are other nations that do the same thing for their citizens. Canadians aren't particularly repressed by their government. French citizens aren't particularly repressed by their government. There are a lot of nations that are good places to live and as believers we should appreciate that, as the Scriptures declare, be respectful of whatever governing body our particular nation provides to oversee our general well being.

I enjoy the freedoms and liberties that the governance of the U.S. allows me, but I neither love nor hate America. I am blessed to have been born here rather than in some despot totalitarian government such as North Korea, but that doesn't make America better than everywhere or everyone else in my book.

Sadly, I'm not in agreement with our current leadership that is doing its best to support and promote this 'America is better than everywhere else' attitude. We're just a nation of people living upon the earth just as there are many other nations doing the exact same thing. We need to learn to get along and live side by side and hand in hand with the other nations of the world. Promoting governments that allow for personal freedoms, but not then lording it over everyone that we're the best.

It's really ok if we buy more chinese goods from China than they buy from us. We have more disposable income and so it would seem only logical to me that there would be a trade imbalance. China has a lot of people, but not the kind of disposable income that we have so they produce more than we do. They make pretty good products at less cost than we do and so Americans buy their products. It's really pretty simple economics and, as yet, no one's really shown any harm that such a relationship is doing to us, other than we don't get to say that we're the greatest. Our unemployment has been down to pretty good levels for years. Our people are generally making pretty decent incomes. After all, we don't seem to be having any trouble, as a nation of people, buying 2,3,4,5 hundred thousand dollar homes. So it would seem that a lot of Americans are making pretty decent incomes.

Now, that's not to say that everyone is getting to enjoy the American dream and we can certainly work on that, but the biggest reason that the average American may not get to enjoy the American dream has little to do with products made overseas, but that we don't more equitably distribute income.

In many, many ways we are not the best example of how people should live. We have drug and sin problems that are, in many cases, worse than other nations. We have crime and murder rates that make a whole lot of other nations safer places to live. America is a good place to live in most cases, but it is just that, a good place to live.

President Trump is regularly decrying the fact that we spend lots of money protecting other nations, but that's the government that we have built. It has always been more important to us to have the strongest military and we have put ourselves out there as the 'protector' of the world. We don't have to be.

So, I don't hate America, but neither am I so patriotic that I think we have to put everyone else in their place to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and crow about our greatness.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I most certainly did read your words, and thus my response.
ok... well I didn't use the word "hate" outside of the quote in scripture which I only posted once so there seems to be a disconnect in how you receive what I wrote especially when you say I've "repeated the word 'hate' several times". I'm not sure where else to go here. For my benefit could you responded to the language I used when I commented on the Luke 14:26 text?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
ok... well I didn't use the word "hate" outside of the quote in scripture which I only posted once so there seems to be a disconnect in how you receive what I wrote especially when you say I've "repeated the word 'hate' several times". I'm not sure where else to go here. For my benefit could you responded to the language I used when I commented on the Luke 14:26 text?

I already responded to the language you used.

After i posted a partial definition of "hatred", you simply said that they were Jesus' words, as if THAT is what Jesus meant, and you said to, in so many words, talk to Jesus about it.

Thus, my asking questions for clarity.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your faith will be pretty limited if you can only accept that which is explicitly stated. Regardless the text says to deny self which includes our patriotic identity or any earthy identity.

Actually I wanted to see from the Bible alone folks how they twist things in pretzels and assign meanings which are not there, In this thread and and many others threads I have not been disappointed. We all put our own spin on things according to our angle and interpretation is something that humans must put on things because they want things to say exactly what they want.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I already responded to the language you used.

After i posted a partial definition of "hatred", you simply said that they were Jesus' words, as if THAT is what Jesus meant, and you said to, in so many words, talk to Jesus about it.

Thus, my asking questions for clarity.
the clarity is in my original post which I will post again for the 3ird time. Your initial reaction was this offence to the word "hate" which I was clear that hate was not my words but Christ's (only in the quoted scripture is it even used), my point was about denial of self not about hate and this is why I'm confused why you are dwelling on the word "hate" so much when I never use this language.
If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. ~Luke 14:26

denial of self is at the forefront of the gospel so whatever is a part of our life or whatever defines us in terms of earthly qualities we are called to deny to follow Christ. You may write this off as an interpretation but doing so would be irresponsible as this is the logic of the verse not it's interpretation.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually I wanted to see from the Bible alone folks how they twist things in pretzels and assign meanings which are not there, In this thread and and many others threads I have not been disappointed. We all put our own spin on things according to our angle and interpretation is something that humans must put on things because they want things to say exactly what they want.
So the OP has a hidden agenda of exposing people. Is not our patriotic expression also an expression of self? Does not denial of self include our expressions of these things?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
the clarity is in my original post which I will post again for the 3ird time. Your initial reaction was this offence to the word "hate" which I was clear that hate was not my words but Christ's (only in the quoted scripture is it even used), my point was about denial of self not about hate and this is why I'm confused why you are dwelling on the word "hate" so much when I never use this language.

To the contrary. I am not offended by the word "hate". When used in context with Bible verses, it is necessary to elaborate and to use it in context.

For instance, God hates 7 things.

Now these 7 things that God hates and finds abominable, are not in the context of how Jesus intended the word "hate" in the verses you posted, is it?

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So the OP has a hidden agenda of exposing people. Is not our patriotic expression also an expression of self? Does not denial of self include our expressions of these things?

I had no hidden agenda this thread and those others that want us to hate our country, show the folly of Bible alone or if you will Sola Scriptura. No one lets the Bible speaks for itself but how they want it to be. For instance all those who do not want to let others be patriotic and love their country will site time after time the deny yourself verse and hate your other and brother verses turning them to say something they never said. My unhidden agenda was to show how silly it was to say by some we had to hate our country by twisting verses.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To the contrary. I am not offended by the word "hate". When used in context with Bible verses, it is necessary to elaborate and to use it in context.

For instance, God hates 7 things.

Now these 7 things that God hates and finds abominable, are not in the context of how Jesus intended the word "hate" in the verses you posted, is it?
I can't keep entertaining your digressed thoughts. My point is on denial of self so either you reply to that or we can just call it a night.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I had no hidden agenda this thread and those others that want us to hate our country, show the folly of Bible alone or if you will Sola Scriptura. No one lets the Bible speaks for itself but how they want it to be. For instance all those who do not want to let others be patriotic and love their country will site time after time the deny yourself verse and hate your other and brother verses turning them to say something they never said. My unhidden agenda was to show how silly it was to say by some we had to hate our country by twisting verses.
Is it unreasonable to say denial of self includes our patriotic expressions?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I can't keep entertaining your digressed thoughts. My point is on denial of self so either you reply to that or we can just call it a night.

When you post Bible verses with "hate" in them, it behooves all of us to clarify the context of what is meant.

Clarity is a GOOD thing.

Upvote 0