• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Show me - Patriotism

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Tutorman, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    This thread is for those that think we should hate our own country. I know a lot of you go by the Bible alone so if you would kindly show me the chapter and verse where we are told to hate our country. I do not desire your interpretation but the exact book, chapter, and verse please. Thank you

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,873
    Christian
    Private
    I dont think anyone actually hates america. They just dont love it because it corrupts people. America isnt alone in this either. Other countries politics corrupt them too. In the Church we already have a King and a God who supplies our needs. We dont need politicians to fix our economy because its not broken. Gods promise stands true and is not broken.

3. Kevin Snow

Kevin Snow Well-Known Member

+795
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Single
    When it says:

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. ~Luke 14:26

And then it says:

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ
    ~Philippians 3:20

We know then that in the same way that Yahshua said we must hate our own family and life so also must we hate the earth and this includes our country of origin, since it does not bring glory to God but seeks its own glory. It is in this spirit that it says:

You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. ~James 4:4

If we are not to be friends with the world, then we must be enemies. It is either God or mankind. You cannot serve them both.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Humble me Lord

Humble me Lord Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,151
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes, God is the ultimate authority we are to always love and submit to. You can also be a patriot, and love your country.
    But you can't throw out Romans 13:1-7 , for is it not Him that places governments over us? We are told to be good citizens, obey the laws, and pay taxes. I believe this also means voting and trying to have a positive influence on our government.
    Also 1 Timothy 2, to pray for kings and those in high positions, that we may lead quiet and peaceful lives, Godly and dignified in every way.

The Reverend Charles M. Aked , "It has been said that for evil men to accomplish their purpose it is only necessary that good men should do nothing." (1916)

God bless America!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,873
    Christian
    Private
    God promised to take care of us. Correct?

Why then do we need to make america great again? Is Gods provision not enough for us? Are we not saying that God has forsaken us? After all, its He who supplies our needs, not man, so when we are discontent its God who we are discontent with. So what gives us the right to be discontent with what God has provided?

6. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,873
    Christian
    Private
    See my last post and attach this quote below it.

7. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,873
    Christian
    Private
    Using politics for good i can understand, but using it for evil i cant. When we follow politicians who promise to make our lives great again, we are saying God hasn't provided. Is that good or evil?

8. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,256
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The Bible doesn't teach that you should hate your country. The premiering the OP is an absurdity.

9. Humble me Lord

+3,151
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I believe the OP may have gotten those sentiments from some other threads centering on the 4th of July celebrations.
    Guess I was not really thinking along the lines of following any politician. I pray for our country,and all of our leaders, no matter who is in charge at the moment.
    God has and will always provide what I need, I am just thankful that I do live here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Kiterius

Kiterius CF's Favorite Member

+796
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    No one hates Canada. We have maple syrup, double doubles, and poutine.

11. Humble me Lord

+3,151
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Being in Northern Minnesota, I was thinking of lobbying for a wall on the North side of our country also.
    We don't want none of that putin stuff leaking over our border down here.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  12. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,873
    Christian
    Private
    You mentioned voting, so i assumed you were thinking of a particular politician. What do you think of what i said?

13. Kiterius

+796
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Hateful, hateful words. For shame.

14. Humble me Lord

+3,151
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I know, sarcasm doesn't show very well in the typed word, I was only joshing you, I love Canadians!
    So, what is poutine?

15. Kiterius

+796
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    In its most basic form, fries topped with beef gravy and cheese curds. Variations have been done such as adding various meats and sauces, and making vegetarian and even vegan versions. Goes down great with a Canada Dry.

16. Humble me Lord

+3,151
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It's like a man in a lake drowning and someone throws him a life preserver. He doesn't take it because he's waiting for God to save him. After he dies, he finds out it was God who had the man see him drowning and throw the life preserver.

What about the verses I posted ?
    Does the bible say we are to just sit around and wait for Him to provide everything for us ?

17. Humble me Lord

+3,151
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Sounds great, will have to try it with some of my home made goat cheese.
    God bless you, and really, I was joking about the wall.

18. Kiterius

+796
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    When God saves, he saves. He doesn't go part way and expect the person he's saving to go the other part way. He doesn't throw a life preserver. He jumps in the water and actually saves the person.

19. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,873
    Christian
    Private
    No it doesn't mean that. It also doesn't mean we complain or show discontentment with what God has provided. The apostles teach us to pray for all things and to be thankful in everything. Jesus says to take no thought for your life because God will take care of us. Politicians do not follow that path. Do they? Do they teach us that way? No, so how is following them a good idea?

20. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,256
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Well yea and hockey

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List