Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But I don't see that in the text. Joy is your interpretation and by your own logic since it is not explicitly in the text it must be rejected. These are your rules not mine.

They are the rules I laid out for Bible only folks, I am not a Bible only folk

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They are the rules I laid out for Bible only folks, I am not a Bible only folk
ok so the whole thing is an experiment to embarrass "Bible only folks" but since you yourself don't play by these rules the conclusions are completely invalid and by your own liberties denial of self can include patriotism. Even your own definition includes this as when you look at your little acronym JOY, patriotism fits in the O or the Y category so it is feasible you may have to "hate" your country to love Christ if the two conflict.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi richard,

I don't suppose you've ever considered checking the words of the KJV here against other translations or commentaries, eh? Most of them show that this idea of 'who' they have no fear of speaking against isn't some earthly political leader. Most other translations also translate the word 'government' as 'authority'. There is a difference.

That is a good point. Here is what I found. The Greek has been translated dominion, or government. The root is (kurios); "mastery, i.e. (concrete and collective) rulers :- dominion, government." Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary.

Most seem to lean this word to authority. Still, the government is at least part of that authority. According to Martin Luther's commentary, "Therefore this is Peter's meaning: they should be subject and obedient to the civil government."
If you care to expound more that would be great.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is wrong with the bible only?
Tutorman seems to refer to extreme explicit examples and rejects anything implicit as "bible only" but he self admits he does not follow this so his agenda is not fully clear except to expose what he labels as "bible only" as a false way of studying scripture

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tutorman seems to refer to extreme explicit examples and rejects anything implicit as "bible only" but he self admits he does not follow this so his agenda is not fully clear except to expose what he labels as "bible only" as a false way of studying scripture
Thank you. Im also trying to figure out what the bible only has to do with patriotism and the church.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ok so the whole thing is an experiment to embarrass "Bible only folks" but since you yourself don't play by these rules the conclusions are completely invalid and by your own liberties denial of self can include patriotism.

Absolutely not. I wanted to see how foolish they would get twist things into pretzels such as yourself have done putting things on verses that are not there and never meant that. I never once said the rules I laid done were for me once again you twist something to say what it was never meant to say. Denial of self includes the strongest patriotism, not the rejection of such.

Even your own definition includes this as when you look at your little acronym JOY, patriotism fits in the O or the Y category so it is feasible you may have to "hate" your country to love Christ if the two conflict.
Again no, your reading something that is not nor ever was there. The 'o' in JOY always for time ever more includes the strongest form of patriotism. If someone does ot want to love their country than they should leave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

My agenda is quite clear read the first post and stop like for hidden meanings. I want to see chapter and verse where the Bible says to hate ones Country from the who go by the Bible only, I do not want to see interpretations because one should not have to do such going by the Bible alone. If that is not clear nothing will be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think there is no reason to hate country, other than if it is evil and does unrighteousness.
Not loving something isnt always the same as hating it. I just found something better. America pales in comparison to the Kingdom.

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My agenda is quite clear read the first post and stop like for hidden meanings. I want to see chapter and verse where the Bible says to hate ones Country from the who go by the Bible only, I do not want to see interpretations because one should not have to do such going by the Bible alone. If that is not clear nothing will be.
Implicit in denial of self is everything that is pleasurable to self and that is what we are called to deny to follow Christ. This doesn't mean we are not allowed enjoy things but the focus of the text is a polarization of what we choose, Christ or "the other" and we are called to choose Christ.

the text is comparing Christ with everything that is not Christ so we may compare Christ with cars, Christ with your job, Christ with money or Christ with patriotism and with every example when the two clash we are to choose Christ and reject the other.

Implicit examples are not counter sola-scriptura and there is a measure of implicit interpretation that is reasonable through out scripture while still being consistent with the ideals of sola-scriptura.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Implicit in denial of self is everything that is pleasurable to self and that is what we are called to deny to follow Christ. This doesn't mean we are not allowed enjoy things but the focus of the text is a polarization of what we choose, Christ or "the other" and we are called to choose Christ.

the text is comparing Christ with everything that is not Christ so we may compare Christ with cars, Christ with your job, Christ with money or Christ with patriotism and with every example when the two clash we are to choose Christ and reject the other.

Implicit examples are not counter sola-scriptura and there is a measure of implicit interpretation that is reasonable through out scripture while still being consistent with the ideals of sola-scriptura.

Why did you not just come out and say I am unable to reach the level of my OP than waste electrons. Honestly if you can not show me than tell the right thing instead of bloviating.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why did you not just come out and say I am unable to reach the level of my OP than waste electrons. Honestly if you can not show me than tell the right thing instead of bloviating.
Stawmen are built on false premises and it is this that I'm responding to.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The OP is a strawman where you provoke those to prove you wrong. Stawmen are built on false premises and it is this that I'm responding to.

Absolutely not. Of course I would expect you to say such a lie since you can not produce any evidence. It really is quite simple either you can or can not produce evidence and than mam up and admit the truth.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0