Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Trump and his followers respect the Constitution.
M

That's an interesting claim.

Trump recently decided to use the power of the Presidency to attack free speech by punishing a privately owned corporation who merely questioned the veracity of one of Trump's claims. That doesn't sound like Trump cares one whit about "The Constitution".

Trump also claimed not too long ago that Article II gave him unlimited powers. That's not true. But reading the Constitution would be the first step toward "respecting" it.

Trump has about zero percent understanding of the US Constitution. It is clear. He's repeatedly shown us how little he understands or cares about the US Constitution.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Of course! The people who voted for Trump were tired of the same-old, same-old politicians who mealy-mouthed change. So much of American drama is predicated on that! How many movies have we had in the past 3 decades about some renegade President coming into office and being a super "straight-shooter" cutting through the bs.

Only problem was the Trump voters didn't seem to have the ability to determine what that looked like and wound up getting a corrupt liar whose zeal to reimage America meant taking us straight into the arms of facism and early-onset dictatorship.
Whatever grievances conservative "white" Americans may have about the current system, they "pale" in comparison to the problems faced by "blacks" over the last 400 years!

While both parties are adamant that the current political system doesn't meet their needs, Trump has never addressed the current racial disparities in a meaningful manner and continues to demonstrate just how far out of touch he is with reality with his claims that no other President has done as much for "blacks!"

• Agree
Reactions: istodolez
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
M

So do those who do not like Trump. The constitution is for all in America including black lives.

Reactions: istodolez
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist

M
Unfortunately Trump's respect for the 1st Amendment doesn't extend to recognizing the constitutional rights of peaceful protests in Lafayette Circle that might interfere with his impulse for a "photo op" in front of St. John's Church - so this President can be seen holding a Bible that he doesn't read, staged in front of a Church that he doesn't attend!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's an interesting claim.

Trump recently decided to use the power of the Presidency to attack free speech by punishing a privately owned corporation who merely questioned the veracity of one of Trump's claims. That doesn't sound like Trump cares one whit about "The Constitution".

Trump also claimed not too long ago that Article II gave him unlimited powers. That's not true. But reading the Constitution would be the first step toward "respecting" it.

Trump has about zero percent understanding of the US Constitution. It is clear. He's repeatedly shown us how little he understands or cares about the US Constitution.

Trump has appointed many judges that support the Constitution.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Well that's better. Because it's abundantly clear that Trump himself does NOT respect the Constitution. Which is why his attempt to throttle Twitter will fail in the courts.

But you have to ask yourself: if Trump neither understands nor respects the Constitution, why would he appoint judges who will take his various over-reaches and slap them back as unconstitutional?

How long does Caligula let the State stay intact before he gets tired of people not just automatically making him into a god?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It was never their communities in the first place. They don’t own those homes, they don’t own those businesses. They pay to live there and they work there for low wages. They’re not burning down their own communities, they’re burning down the plantations.

It's still where they live. Only a fool trashes the place they live.

It's imperative to draw a fine line between legitimate protest, and looting and rioting. Burning down businesses is not legitimate protest, it's arson.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately Trump's respect for the 1st Amendment doesn't extend to recognizing the constitutional rights of peaceful protests in Lafayette Circle that might interfere with his impulse for a "photo op" in front of St. John's Church - so this President can be seen holding a Bible that he doesn't read, staged in front of a Church that he doesn't attend!

^^^THIS^^^^

Trump, at his most fundamental, is only interested in Trump. The Constitution, if it is unlucky enough to get between Trump and his need for people to love Trump, will learn a hard lesson.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

One woman interviewed noted that, indeed, it is NOT "their" home. They may live there but the benefits of the "social contract" have been denied them. So why should they care? Yes, they have a Target in their neighborhood. It doesn't "belong" to them, so why should they care?

I know why White America WANTS them to care...because if they care it shows they are still feeling like they are part of the "Social Contract" and can be counted on to ultimately not burn EVERYTHING to the ground. It is our sincerest hope in White America that the Black People don't decide that enough is enough.

I hate to see the riots and the destruction. Just hate it. But apparently America has not been able to understand the peaceful decades of ASKING to have the boot taken off the necks of the black community. This is ALWAYS what happens when people are pushed to the breaking point. And history tells us that it NEVER works out for the oppressors in the long run. Never.

We need to make fundamental and foundational changes NOW. No half-measures just to "calm the waters". Fundamental radical foundational changes. If we don't we know exactly where this leads. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but it WILL lead there. And along the way those of us who have enjoyed privileges unearned will learn a very, very harsh lesson.

I hope we can stop the train before it goes off the rails.

• Agree
Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's imperative to draw a fine line between legitimate protest, and looting and rioting. Burning down businesses is not legitimate protest, it's arson.
Sure, but it’s all happening at once, for the same reason. Institutional racism isn’t being meaningfully addressed. And until it is, this is going to keep happening, whether we from afar view it as proper behavior or not.

Reactions: Dryskale
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
One woman interviewed noted that, indeed, it is NOT "their" home. They may live there but the benefits of the "social contract" have been denied them.

They benefit, just perhaps not to the degree they desire. But having a home is still better than being homeless.

Burning and looting are ultimately nihilistic, ignoble acts. They delegitimize the moral underpinning of any protest.

Just hate it. But apparently America has not been able to understand the peaceful decades of ASKING to have the boot taken off the necks of the black community.

Nearly everybody has a boot on their neck at one time or another. Racial grievances don't entitle anybody to act selfishly, whether one is a white person is the rust belt in Ohio or a black person in Atlanta.

This is ALWAYS what happens when people are pushed to the breaking point. And history tells us that it NEVER works out for the oppressors in the long run. Never.

I am beginning to think that investigating Facebook and Twitter for their role in spreading disinformation and hysteria isn't such a bad thing. Social media only gives people half of the story.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Church works good for that
for those who attend
just got back.
M
You probably shouldn’t be going to gatherings right now... and you should never be looking for excuses not to take a personal inventory.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Many congressional Republicans who deplore Trump in private are content to condone his outrageous behavior because he provides them cover to appoint conservative federal judges - even during an election year!

Perhaps "Mountainmanbob" would be so kind as to provide the constitutional justification for not even allowing President Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court, Merrick Garland, to receive a Senate hearing?

As the Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Garland was more than qualified, but that Supreme Court appointment was deliberately deferred for a year until a Republican President was in the position to made the appointment!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They benefit, just perhaps not to the degree they desire. But having a home is still better than being homeless.

One could say that being alive is better than having the life choked out of you on the street. But George Floyd DID have a counterfeit $20...so....

Burning and looting are ultimately nihilistic, ignoble acts.

And what do you think I meant about the whole "social contract" stuff there?

They delegitimize the moral underpinning of any protest.

When Colin Kaepernik took a knee white America lost its mind, got him fired from his job and you'd think he sat there defecating on the BIble the way white America responded. So please DO TELL how the rioters are "delegitimizing" anything.

Nearly everybody has a boot on their neck at one time or another. Racial grievances don't entitle anybody to act selfishly, whether one is a white person is the rust belt in Ohio or a black person in Atlanta.

This is where an appreciation of the SYSTEMIC nature of racism in America comes in handy. It is good to read. I recommend starting with "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander.

I am beginning to think that investigating Facebook and Twitter for their role in spreading disinformation and hysteria isn't such a bad thing. Social media only gives people half of the story.

I hate both Twitter and Facebook. But, sadly, they are still private companies and Trump ONLY attacked Twitter when they merely questioned the veracity of one of his points. I may not like Twitter, but at least I like the Constitution. Something Trump doesn't appear to like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
^^^THIS^^^^

Trump, at his most fundamental, is only interested in Trump.

The Constitution, if it is unlucky enough to get between Trump and his need for people to love Trump, will learn a hard lesson.

From what I've seen you would be wrong.
How well do you actually know Trump.
Ever thought that he might be on the spectrum?
Some of our brightest in history.
M

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You probably shouldn’t be going to gatherings right now... and you should never be looking for excuses not to take a personal inventory.

Regarding your first part.
Church services are legal here now.

Second part.
Sounds like a 12 step program.
M

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

As well as you do, I suspect. I'm not a personal friend of his. But I can read and I've been watching the Trump show since the 1980's.

You mean the Narcissist Spectrum? Because I don't think he's on the Asperger's spectrum. He does, however, seem to fail being able to care about other humans.

M

If Trump is one of history's "brightest" then we have entered the "upside down". LOL. (But I understand that people who had difficulty in school might think he's smart because he TELLS EVERYONE he's so smart. It's easier than actually being smart I guess.)

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Regarding your first part.
Church services are legal here now.

Second part.
Sounds like a 12 step program.
M
Plenty is legal that you shouldn’t be doing. For example, drinking yourself to death.
The personal inventory is my favorite takeaway from knowing people who’ve been through AA. It’s a valuable exercise, even if you don’t suffer from addiction. You’ll only come out with a better understanding of yourself. In your case, I’m hoping you’ll notice your blind spots when it comes to acknowledging the struggles others face.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
M
Where would one place a President who suggests that the pandemic was a Democratic ho disinfectants could be injected as a cure for COVID-19 on the spectrum?

Upvote 0