United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Intentionally, to avoid complying with Title IX:

Title IX provides: No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
What are you implying?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,063.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What are you implying?
I didn't imply anything. I literally said it. They reject government funds so that they don't have to comply with Title IX.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It starts with a gentle notice to you, their dear newsletter reader, that they are not as portrayed (political and cultural activists) just scholars and students of classical learning in the letters and arts.

Next it proceeds to explain why it is necessary for their small college to engage in political and cultural activism against the oppressive world. Crescendo-ing a couple of times with tales of oppression from the domination of the cultural, political, and governmental forces (what less lettered people might call "the deep state") that would intrude on their idyllic vision of the past. (What less lettered people might call "the deep state".)

Finally it expresses how the college will fight the approach of modernity and influence others by sending out 6.5 million copies of this newsletter that you might join in their crusade.
If you’re not a diplomat, you should look into becoming one.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What are you implying?
The fine educators at Hillsdale don’t have to kowtow to Big Government and can teach whomever they want and not educate anyone they don’t want.
”Freedom”.
It’s curious why they’re forgo all of the Pell Grants and student loan money go just to be able to teach what they want, (which isn’t all that much different than what they already teach), unless it’s to skirt Title IX?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm open to be Ambassador and Minster Plenipotentiary to the Holy See. That would be fun.
I suspect dead naming would suddenly not be acceptable to those currently scoffing at it.

Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Years ago I signed up for a so-called free Constitution 101 online course from Hillsdale College and they pummeled me with emails asking for money even before I began the course. Because of that I decided not to take it and told them so, but the emails kept coming. I would have given them some $$ after I'd taken the course, but I didn't like their aggressive tactics from the start and that's why I unsubscribed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I find it very amusing that you believe Hillsdale College is an institution that is dangerous to American democracy and freedom. Hillsdale College has free courses
So does the Confucius Institute.

What do you call a free curriculum from an organization with a vested interest in Chinese communism?
What do you call a free curriculum from an organization with a vested interest in Christian nationalism?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It is only your opinion that Hillsdale College has a vested in Christian nationalism.
Not just my opinion.

And more neutral critics also have things to say about these free curricula:

It’s rare for a college to provide so many resources for K-12 education, according to Chester Finn Jr., an assistant secretary of education in the Reagan administration, who holds positions at multiple right-leaning think tanks. And Hillsdale’s teaching model provides something that conservatives are seeking for their children, Finn said, “which is both here’s what they should learn, and let’s shield them from what they shouldn’t learn.”

As Hillsdale’s footprint has grown, so have protests over its influence. Educators and liberal-leaning parents object to Hillsdale’s curriculum, saying it inserts a right-wing worldview into K-12 schools. The American Historical Association has accused the 1776 Curriculum of downplaying racism, the Great Migration and the power of the Ku Klux Klan.

“What they also are trying to do is replace an approach to teaching that teaches students how to think with an approach that teaches the students what to think.”

“That’s a pretty political and distorted view of American history,” said Sean Wilentz, a Princeton history professor ... “But they see history as politics by other means. That’s really the core of it.”

Reactions: crixus
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I have zero doubts that Andy Spear's opinions have a progressive left-wing bias. as for the rest of the critics you cited, they are also more than likely very liberal and/or progressive in their political as well as social point of views.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I have zero doubts that
And you put zero effort into considering information from outside your bubble.

But at least you have tacitly admitted that just because something is free doesn't mean it is automatically beneficial.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
And you put zero effort into considering information from outside your bubble.

But at least you have tacitly admitted that just because something is free doesn't mean it is automatically beneficial.
But Christian altruism is commanded, therefore necessary.
One can be sure that it wasn’t commanded, we wouldn’t see any.

Communistic altruism,
is just there to convert people to their way of thinking.
Probably

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
“What they also are trying to do is replace an approach to teaching that teaches students how to think with an approach that teaches the students what to think.”
Are there any schools left (public or private) that haven't succumbed to this? (to at least some degree)

Obviously it's much more obvious and pervasive with organizations like the one in question (where they clearly have an agenda-driven platform), but it seems like some other organizations aim for a similar goal (the goal being "make the voters of tomorrow vote the way I do today"), just using a different pathway to get there.

For instance, if there were two schools, and one puts in their mission statement:
"We'll make sure your kids think Fords are better than Chevys"
and the other simply opts to stack their staff and curriculum with Pro-Ford viewpoints and perspectives that would steer someone in that direction...

It becomes something of a distinction without a difference.

2-year vocational training needs to make a comeback in our country.
A) Simply for financial reasons (the debt people end up with is staggering)
B) The whole purpose of what college was supposed to be for has been somewhat perverted. Most kids go to college because we tell kids "You go to college so you can get a good job", when that's not really what the original point of a liberal arts education was supposed to be. It was supposed to be to pursue interests for "leisure" of sorts. Now it just produces deeply in-debt people who leave with the impression that society owes them a career in whatever thing they're passionate about.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0