✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ignatius:

God choses what ever, whenever, and whatever, He choses to. BUT, what He does is always perfect for the end results. Even Jesus, as perfect as He was to His Father, never took credit.
ONE of the problems as I see it, is that men always desire to put themselves in a position of what God thinks and does.
Can the created say to the creator, I know better?
There are many today however that seem to think that they do. Blessings.

Andy Centek

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that we do not know and don't need to know how God makes his choices of his Elect. I'll be interested to see if others disagree, but I do know that it's a mistake to try to argue that God's foreknowledge determines his picks, i.e. that he predestines people on the basis of what he sees them doing in the future.

Why not? It's not as if God could do away with His foreknowledge while making His choices.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why not? It's not as if God could do away with His foreknowledge while making His choices.
I suppose we could agree to that part about him not doing away with his foreknowledge, but the issue remains the same from what I can tell. That is to say that it is not on account of the supposed worthiness of the person that causes God to reward him with election.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isa 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I say that this should be the answer to your question. How can one of the created know that which created it?

Andy Centek

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,316.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ignatius:

God choses what ever, whenever, and whatever, He choses to. BUT, what He does is always perfect for the end results. Even Jesus, as perfect as He was to His Father, never took credit.
ONE of the problems as I see it, is that men always desire to put themselves in a position of what God thinks and does.
Can the created say to the creator, I know better?
There are many today however that seem to think that they do. Blessings.

Andy Centek

Be that as it may, it seems the primary motivating factor behind God's decisions is not our wealth-fare but his glory.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Be that as it may, it seems the primary motivating factor behind God's decisions is not our wealth-fare but his glory.
I know some see God this way, but if it means to say that God created man and set in motion all of human history, just for the sake of bolstering Himself in some sense (what exactly is meant by "for His glory"? by those who say so?) ... rather than God having created man out of love, and redeeming him for the same reason.

Not arguing here, but I disagree even with what that seems to make God out to be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I suppose we could agree to that part about him not doing away with his foreknowledge, but the issue remains the same from what I can tell. That is to say that it is not on account of the supposed worthiness of the person that causes God to reward him with election.

Would you also agree that every "elected" person, in heaven, becomes good and perfect?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,316.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
in whose eyes?
In the eyes of the Reformed it would seem. I don't think I've misrepresented the position of Reformed Churches here in saying that God acts primarily on the basis of what glorifies him. This is why it seems like a belief in double predestination is held, because God's condemning certain people (not for anything they did) contributes his eternal glory. The primary motivating factor is never our agency for what God does in reformed theology but what God desires of us for his uses.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily. After all, we cannot say that for God to be loving he has to let his sin-dimmed creatures do whatever they want to do.

I've heard people who argued that way, saying that if he doesn't simply give everything to everyone at all times, with no exceptions, he cannot be a God of Love, but most people realize that this isn't actually the definition of Love.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ezra932

Jan 27, 2018
DONIPHAN
✟15,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:wave: Thank you for asking. I am Reformed, to help in your quest for an answer, I searched and found an article from Pastor Sam Storms on crossway.org that I recommend HERE. If I get more time, I may attempt a personalized, but partial answer.
not to bad but the die hard calvinist in carm would have a massive stroke over those answers

Upvote 0

ezra932

Jan 27, 2018
DONIPHAN
✟15,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:wave: Thank you for asking. I am Reformed, to help in your quest for an answer, I searched and found an article from Pastor Sam Storms on crossway.org that I recommend HERE. If I get more time, I may attempt a personalized, but partial answer.
the argument i get is on 2peter 3 not willing any should perish ,but all come to repentance..the word all does not mean all. hmmmm if i say ya all come that is a open invite to who ever hears or reads... it does not mean all will come .but my hat is off to pastor sam for his explanation

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
not to bad but the die hard calvinist in carm would have a massive stroke over those answers

Matt Slick? I've always respected and appreciated him, not that I've always been in one hundred percent agreement with him about everything, or we may even agree in conclusion but I might not agree with how he arrives at a conclusion, or how something is explained, but that's alright, there is room for disagreements, and we all struggle with error and inconsistency and more.

• Agree
Reactions: ezra932
Upvote 0

ezra932

Jan 27, 2018
DONIPHAN
✟15,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matt Slick? I've always respected and appreciated him, not that I've always been in one hundred percent agreement with him about everything, or we may even agree in conclusion but I might not agree with how he arrives at a conclusion, or how something is explained, but that's alright, there is room for disagreements, and we all struggle with error and inconsistency and more.
not so much slick but the posters there is some real die hard calvinist ..they will come right out and call you a false teacher believing in free will.. in fact while the pastor did not use freewill terms he came really close another subject that gives them heart burn is children going to heaven /infants .i dont post in there a whole lot . usually ends end very heated

Upvote 0