Why Reformed theology is the closest Protestant theology to the Bible.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Theology is considered highly accurate because it interprets the Bible as a whole, from Genesis to Revelation, rather than focusing on individual verses. This comprehensive approach helps address complex questions about God's identity, actions, love, the number of people saved, and our purpose on Earth, aligning as closely as humanly possible to the original biblical scriptures.

Examples of Reformed concepts would be Predestination, Total Depravity, God's sovereignty over all areas of life, God's omnipotent nature and more. All of these theological concepts are taken from the oldest and most accurate mauscripts of the Bible.

However, understanding Reformed Theology involves studying the Bible in its original languages—Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic—as they were used when the texts were written and as they have been copied down over the centuries by the Jews and Christians of history. This is essential because all English translations inevitably contain inaccuracies due to the evolution of these languages over millennia. Thus, while English Bibles are valuable, they should be approached with caution, and greater emphasis should be placed on the interpretations offered by theologians who have studied the original manuscripts.

Over the past 500 years, Reformed Theology has gained widespread acceptance among Protestants for its scripturally rooted doctrines. Its rigorous and sometimes challenging perspectives remind us of the gap between our sinful human desires and the teachings of the scriptures.

Other Protestant theological concepts that have existed over the years like Arminianism usually are not very accurate to the Bible because they're generally "proven" by a single verse or a small group of verses rather than taking scripture as a whole.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-

Free grace is the only one who clearly teaches belief/faith in Jesus to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life and become a born again child of God.

They add no other condition as other Protestant denominations do including Reformed

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Admittedly, I'm the product of Reform Theology, and so biased in that direction. But I will suggest some weaknesses involved. 1st, I would draw a comparison between OT and NT, Israel and the International Church.

Israel began well with the Law as their standard and as their covenant with God. But it clearly was insufficient in terms of preparing Israel for their final destiny with God. Israel failed under the Law and required reform following the Babylonian Captivity. Even then the reforms of Ezra did not prevail since in the time of Jesus Israel completely rejected their Messiah, with the exception of the few disciples of Jesus who held out to start the International Church.

I would compare this to the history of the International Church, who began with Apostolic Doctrine and Christian tradition following the time of Jesus' earthly ministry. But after spreading throughout the world, problems continued with doctrine and with practice, requiring reform, which we see in the Protestant Reformation. I would include the Catholic Reformation but don't because of my personal concern with lack of any corrective to Catholic traditions that have continued to prevail against any correction whatsoever.

The Protestant Reformation properly placed biblical authority over the authority of Church leaders and Catholic tradition. However, this was subject to the same kind of frailties that led to the Reformation itself. The Bible became a kind of new Christian tradition, void of reasonable practice. And in association with liberal elements Scripture began to be interpreted in a way that short-circuited true Christian living. The supernatural was marginalized, and social programs advanced with little concern for divine guidance and revelation.

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟328,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Admittedly, I'm the product of Reform Theology, and so biased in that direction. But I will suggest some weaknesses involved. 1st, I would draw a comparison between OT and NT, Israel and the International Church.

Israel began well with the Law as their standard and as their covenant with God. But it clearly was insufficient in terms of preparing Israel for their final destiny with God.

Not for Caleb, Joshua, Elisha or any of the Examples of Faith God gave us in the Law and Prophets. According to the Scriptures, the Gospel of Christ was only insufficient for those who didn't mix their hearing, with belief/faith.

Israel failed under the Law and required reform following the Babylonian Captivity.

God's instruction before Captivity remained the exact same after the captivity. Those who "Yielded themselves" servants to obey God, were shown Mercy in their weakness. Those who "Yielded themselves" servants to obey religious traditions and philosophies of this world, fell in the wilderness.

Paul said these things were written specifically for us, in this time in history.

1 Cor. 10: 11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. That would be us, Yes?

12 Wherefore (Because of this undeniable biblical Truth) let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Even then the reforms of Ezra did not prevail since in the time of Jesus Israel completely rejected their Messiah, with the exception of the few disciples of Jesus who held out to start the International Church.

This is simply not true. There were the Wise men, and Zacharias in Luke 1who was righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless, and the Holy Spirit was on him. As you can read for yourself, he had faith in the Christ even before HE was born. And Simeon of Luke 2, also a just man who had faith in the Lord's Christ, obedient to God and therefore, as Peter Teaches in the spirit of Christ, " And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. And Anna, also an obedient servant to God had Faith in the Christ before HE was even born, and knew HIM when HE came, while HE was still nursing.

These truths are important to understand so as not to be "Deceived" by the "many" Jesus warned about, "Who come in His Name", who call Him Lord, Lord.

I would compare this to the history of the International Church, who began with Apostolic Doctrine and Christian tradition following the time of Jesus' earthly ministry. But after spreading throughout the world, problems continued with doctrine and with practice, requiring reform, which we see in the Protestant Reformation.

Truly the Catholic religion adopted the religious traditions of the Pharisees regarding the building of religious businesses, manmade shrines of worship, doing alms and praying to be seen of men, etc., and created many of her own religious philosophies and traditions. God's true church never engaged in such behavior. When the Protestant Reformation broke away from the Catholic religion, they kept her sabbaths, her high days, her rejection of God's Judgments and many of His commandments. Her images of God in the likeness of a handsome man etc. But there were always small flocks who didn't partake with them as the Jesus of the Bible instructed in Matt. 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: And Paul, 2 Cor. 6: 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

I would include the Catholic Reformation but don't because of my personal concern with lack of any corrective to Catholic traditions that have continued to prevail against any correction whatsoever.

I would humbly point out that most all religious businesses and sects of this world suffer the same affliction.

The Protestant Reformation properly placed biblical authority over the authority of Church leaders and Catholic tradition.

They certainly promote as much as would be expected, but it seems like they are become no different as a religious sect.

However, this was subject to the same kind of frailties that led to the Reformation itself. The Bible became a kind of new Christian tradition, void of reasonable practice.

I understand your point here, and I would agree that this world's religions do not promote the purpose of the Holy Scriptures (Bible), which is to be turned inward to create in us a New Man "which after God is created in righteousness and true Holiness.

And in association with liberal elements Scripture began to be interpreted in a way that short-circuited true Christian living. The supernatural was marginalized, and social programs advanced with little concern for divine guidance and revelation.

And this is true, but I would add that it has always been this way since Eve, who was convinced by "other voices" in the garden God placed her in, who also professed to know God, to interpret HIS Word in a way that short circuited true Christian Living.

I am truly glad you are looking into these things. I hope you will continue digging, or as Jesus calls it, "Seeking the Kingdom of God and "HIS" Righteousness.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom (widely ignored) covers the Bible from front to back by simply saying put God's will ahead of our own and the we of the world will love others as self. The Bible is an example of failures and attempts to do just that.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not for Caleb, Joshua, Elisha or any of the Examples of Faith God gave us in the Law and Prophets. According to the Scriptures, the Gospel of Christ was only insufficient for those who didn't mix their hearing, with belief/faith.
That's true. God always has a remnant of faithful followers. However, I was speaking of Israel, the nation. God had promised Abraham a "nation." That nation failed, despite the success of a few individuals.
God's instruction before Captivity remained the exact same after the captivity. Those who "Yielded themselves" servants to obey God, were shown Mercy in their weakness. Those who "Yielded themselves" servants to obey religious traditions and philosophies of this world, fell in the wilderness.
Yes, not saying the Law failed--just the practice of the Law. Same thing with the historic Church, including those who inherited the Reformation. Truth didn't fail--practice did. Idolizing Scriptures is not what Scripture represented. Turning Scriptural orthodoxy into a form of Legalism is not what the Scriptures called for. No, they called for proper observance of the truth--true Christian practice.
This is simply not true. There were the Wise men, and Zacharias in Luke 1who was righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless, and the Holy Spirit was on him...
I think you misunderstand. I was talking about how Ezra and Nehemiah presented the need for reform even as Israel began to fail, morally, up until the time the majority in Israel rejected Jesus as Messiah. That was true. Of course, there are always faithful believers who stand against the tide.
Truly the Catholic religion adopted the religious traditions of the Pharisees regarding the building of religious businesses, manmade shrines of worship, doing alms and praying to be seen of men, etc., and created many of her own religious philosophies and traditions. God's true church never engaged in such behavior.
There have been many good Catholics. I'm not a Catholic-basher. I just don't like some of their traditions, which tends to lead Christians into more of a ceremonial religion. But I don't question the intent. Focusing on the sectarian aspect of Catholicism too much does the opposite of what they intend, which is to unify all Christians. It tends towards an "us vs you."
When the Protestant Reformation broke away from the Catholic religion, they kept her sabbaths, her high days, her rejection of God's Judgments and many of His commandments. Her images of God in the likeness of a handsome man etc. But there were always small flocks who didn't partake with them as the Jesus of the Bible instructed in Matt. 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: And Paul, 2 Cor. 6: 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
So you're a separatist? Trouble is, separatism doesn't create unity among Christians either. And Jesus said the hallmark of the Christian witness is Christian unity.
I understand your point here, and I would agree that this world's religions do not promote the purpose of the Holy Scriptures (Bible), which is to be turned inward to create in us a New Man "which after God is created in righteousness and true Holiness.
Exactly! We can get so focused on certain doctrines or various traditions that we forget *Christ in us!* Certainly, doctrines are critically important, but so is how we live out those truths.
And this is true, but I would add that it has always been this way since Eve, who was convinced by "other voices" in the garden God placed her in, who also professed to know God, to interpret HIS Word in a way that short circuited true Christian Living.

I am truly glad you are looking into these things. I hope you will continue digging, or as Jesus calls it, "Seeking the Kingdom of God and "HIS" Righteousness.
Brother, I've been a Christian my entire life, and I began to get serious about my faith more than 50 years ago. But I accept that we are brothers in our "journey." God bless! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reformed Theology is considered highly accurate because it interprets the Bible as a whole, from Genesis to Revelation, rather than focusing on individual verses.
From my observation, 95% of those of "reformed theology" absolutely take verses as stand alone and out of context

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
From my observation, 95% of those of "reformed theology" absolutely take verses as stand alone and out of context

How else should one take the very word of God but to take it as "stand alone" and "as written"? Especially the important verses like the words of the Apostles, Christ, and the Prophets? Can you please give an example of Reformed Theology taking a verse out of context?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
-

Free grace is the only one who clearly teaches belief/faith in Jesus to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life and become a born again child of God.

They add no other condition as other Protestant denominations do including Reformed

But the Bible does not teach Free grace. The Bible teaches that faith is required for salvation yes but it also teaches that Repentance is a requirement for salvation too. Paul also said that true Christians should not live in the sin.

John also gave a multitude of ways that a person could falsely come to Christ. If free grace were true and all that is required for salvation is belief in a series of facts than why did John say that if you claim to be in the light yet live in the darkness you lie? These are just some examples of the Bibles whole entire message. The Bible does teach faith alone but it also describes what true God given biblical faith is and a faith that saves is never alone

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
But the Bible does not teach Free grace. The Bible teaches that faith is required for salvation yes but it also teaches that Repentance is a requirement for salvation too. Paul also said that true Christians should not live in the sin.

John also gave a multitude of ways that a person could falsely come to Christ. If free grace were true and all that is required for salvation is belief in a series of facts than why did John say that if you claim to be in the light yet live in the darkness you lie? These are just some examples of the Bibles whole entire message. The Bible does teach faith alone but it also describes what true God given biblical faith is and a faith that saves is never alone
-

No where does Free Grace teach a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation) by believing in facts. Free Grace plainly states, it is faith in the person Jesus which gives a person Eternal Life. Believing that Jesus is who He says He is, The promised Messiah/Son of God, the resurrection and the life.

Repentance is not a condition, belief in Jesus is the condition.

The Bible does not teach free grace, what do you think the whole Gospel of John is about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Israel began well with the Law as their standard and as their covenant with God. But it clearly was insufficient in terms of preparing Israel for their final destiny with God. Israel failed under the Law and required reform following the Babylonian Captivity. Even then the reforms of Ezra did not prevail since in the time of Jesus Israel completely rejected their Messiah, with the exception of the few disciples of Jesus who held out to start the International Church.

If you follow Romans 9 to 11, Israel will completely accept their Messiah at the end of the Tribulation, see Romans 11:25-27.

So there is hope for them in the future.

Reactions: RandyPNW
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not teach free grace, what do you think the whole Gospel of John is about.​

1 John specified, more than once, that salvation also depends on you loving your brothers, doing righteous, and obeying the commandments: 1 John 2:28, 1 John 3:6-15

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believed the gospel of John was actually written by Lazarus.

That is why John can say 1 thing in 1 John, and yet it is possible to interpret the gospel of John as saying another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
1 John specified, more than once, that salvation also depends on you loving your brothers, doing righteous, and obeying the commandments: 1 John 2:28, 1 John 3:6-15

Lets see you posted 1 John 2:28
And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.

And 1 John 3:6-15
Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.
Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

So in these verse where do you see the statement that you are saying these verses are making. That to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation, depends on you loving your brothers, doing righteous, and obeying the commandments:

Do you want to point that verse out, the verse or verses should say this plainly something like. Dear little children your salvation depends on you loving your brothers, doing righteous and obeying the commandments. If you do not do this, you will end up in the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Calvin was a tyrant. How close to the Bible is that?

So was Bloody Marry but that doesn't mean that she wasn't saved and shouldn't be listened to or that she nor Calvin werent sent by God (all members of the monarchy, theologians, and people of power are put there by God). They both fought against Heresy and did what they did in the name of heresy which was a regular practice back then because heresy was viewed as being worthy of death.

It is only until the current age that we call heretics to repentance rather than execute them for heresy. Which you're right, is closer to scriptures intent for heresy than what was in place before but it doesnt make Calvins work any more or less valid because he only did what everybody did in the 16th century to heretics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So in these verse where do you see the statement that you are saying these verses are making. That to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation, depends on you loving your brothers, doing righteous, and obeying the commandments:

Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous

Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Still not enough?

Upvote 0