Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by seebs
I think you could find some evidence for this, but with one crucial limitation: Children know the difference between make-believe and real stories. You will see kids who want to be a firefighter because they read about it and think it's cool. You will not generally see kids who plan to study real magic because they read about wizards. You occasionally see "wow, if magic were real, it'd be fun", but if you tell them about real magic, the normal instinct kicks in and they say "eww, that doesn't sound fun". Real magic is not like the stuff in fairy tales.

True. And with one other consideration: offering anecdotal evidence is falicious logic; offering a situation where a kid got involved in the occult after reading HP or a DnD player committing suicide doesn't make a good case against either, mostly because other considerations are ignored. Did the kid have a preexisting interest in the occult, was he looking at a lot of other sources, did our DnD player have a lot of other problems..?

My roommate says something that's a humorous illusteration of this.... "Doing stuff is overrated. Hitler did stuff, and don't we all wish he'd just stayed in bed?"

;-)

-Elias

Upvote 0

alphatronics

Oct 30, 2002
Visit site
✟8,011.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by E-beth
When Harry Potter became popular, I joined teh ranks of those saying that it was evil and promoted witchcraft, etc.
Then I was in the bookstore finding a book to take to the hospital with me when I had my baby. The first HP was there by the checkout, in paperback, so I grabbed it.

Thanks for reading it and coming up with your own opinion. How many other people here have actually read the books before making up their mind?

Upvote 0

alphatronics

Oct 30, 2002
Visit site
✟8,011.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Susan
BTW I do not read the Potter books. I think they are stupid, idiotic, and a waste of time

Originally posted by Susan
I have a challenge for everyone here. While I am neutral in this, not supporting or attacking Potter itself, I would be against it if someone gave some evidence.

Which is it? Why can't you come up with your own opinion by actually reading the books?

Upvote 0

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟18,467.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

I would never advocate censorship; what I do not like, I do not read/watch and do not let my kids watch (they're not old enough to read yet). People who cut up or burn books are one step away from cutting up or burning people (and plenty of my people have been "cut up" over the centuries by over-zealous Christians; we've also seen our sacred books publicly condemned and burned). I want to teach my children to be discerning, to think analytically & to be able to sift wheat from chaff. Every time I read about nitwits who want to ban "Huckleberry Finn" or "Lord of the Flies" or "Anne Frank's Diary" from public school reading lists, I want to wince & shake my head in disbelief. Harry Potter is harmless fun; my word to those who are getting their Fruit-of-the-Looms in a twist over it: Lighten up.

Be well!

ssv:wave:

Upvote 0
Originally posted by GraftMeIn
Realy when it comes right down to it. It doesn't matter what others think, it only matters what God thinks.

Originally posted by alphatronics
I read that as "it only matters what I think"

I think it would be better stated:

"It only matters what I think God thinks."    :cry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
I find it rather sad that people put words in someones mouth that they never said, or change the meaning of what they have said completely.

:(

When I said it doesn't matter what others think, This also goes for what I think. Am I not not considered one of those others in someone elses eyes? It truly only matters what God thinks. And no one else, not even myself. I would much rather people seek the guidance they need from God on any issue they aren't sure of. All it takes is to ask him to open your eyes to such things.

No one should listen to what I say, or what anyone else says. Instead they should pay close attention to the things God has to show them, and seek guidance from Him and Him Only.

Upvote 0
I'm interested what you guys read as Kids? Can't then we say that all fiction books are instruments of the devil!?? It's getting a bit up tight I'm thinking!
I read the Magic Faraway tree, loved every minute of it... sure it didnt say the word "witch or magician" but there was lots of magic involve..

Do we now discard of all fairytales? Snow white and the 7 dwarves, contains a witch - yes she is seen as evil, but the princes magical breathe awakes snow white
Hansel and Grettle - again a witch

The list goes on...

I am under the impression that their is way to much energy being wasted on condeming authors for the contents of their books, especially if it is fiction, and it is very clear that is just that- fiction!

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Amen lau.

If I started a thread in Prayer on the issue of child hunger. . .I would believe that it would only get 5 to 10 replies at the most before it died away to the back page. This thread has almost 200 (193 to be exact) replies.

Children throughout the world actually die of hunger every 20 seconds, every single day (many without even knowing Who Jesus is! :cry: ), and we would not even bother to pray about it.

However, we will debate Harry Potter for hundreds and hundreds of replies, when it is at worst bad reading material that may be a bad influence. (And if you are any kind of parent, you should be able to explain that REAL witchcraft as defined in the Bible is evil.)

No child yet has died from Harry Potter, and there are not enough documented instances of it turning people away from Christ to make it a real concern.

Yet we would rather debate Harry Potter than consider the plight of, pray for, and give to the hungry.

Something is wrong in our priorities as Christians.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I think the point is, we all *agree* that hunger is a bad thing, and that it would be really nice if certain dictators stopped starving their people, so there's not much to discuss. You can't have much of a discussion without disagreement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Thankyou Susan,

There seems to be a trend in the world at the moment to complain an whinge about anything we possibly can. We can see it in litigation and court cases everywhere suing people for the most ridiculous things i have ever heard, AND WINNING! eg. suing maccas for making them fat! don't get me wrong I want them to sue maccas for all they are worth so they go out of business but not because they are unhealthy an make you fat, there are plenty of other reasons!

I think we need to see the Christian faith turned around, to stop complaining about things that really don't matter and focus on the people of this earth. not just through out money but through our actions, through standing against companies that steal from the poor etc.

Thats what I would like to see before I die

laume

Upvote 0
I’m not meaning to start this thread burning again but I have a question that has nothing to do with Witch Craft.

I have not read the books or seen the movies and myself I have no plans to do so since my time is of value to me in concern to other things. I did hear another issue concerning this story that sent alarm to me and that had to do with lying and disobedience to parents.

I heard that lil Harry told a lie/s and made it out as an ethical decision to save a friend or something along those lines. If this is true than is this considered as a good role model example with how the writer depicted this character and action?

And I heard something about disobedience to parents but I know even less about this report.

I’m asking this as a legitimate and sincere question out of my lack of first hand knowledge concerning these stories and I didn’t catch any comments about it in previous posts.

Peace

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Harry is arguably disobedient to his abusive foster parents. As to lying, that is a concern I have; Harry does lie sometimes, although I think they do a good job of making it clear that it's not always the right thing to do. Hermione lies to a teacher to get Harry and Ron out of trouble; this is portrayed as self-sacrifice for friends (a good thing). I don't much approve, but then, self-sacrifice *is* a virtue sometimes.

I wouldn't say it's a real problem from a role-model standpoint. I plan to tell my kids (if/when I have any) that, if they ever find the entire world in danger of being destroyed by an evil sorcerer, that they have my permission to lie or be out after curfew to deal with it, if for some reason no one else can.

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by seebs

I wouldn't say it's a real problem from a role-model standpoint. I plan to tell my kids (if/when I have any) that, if they ever find the entire world in danger of being destroyed by an evil sorcerer, that they have my permission to lie or be out after curfew to deal with it, if for some reason no one else can.

LOL, you mind if I put that in my sig line? :)

Upvote 0