✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by coastie
LOL, you mind if I put that in my sig line? :)

Go ahead! :)

It's not exactly relativist morality; I still have concerns about lying. I just figure that God knows we don't always have perfect options.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Rae
Your question about the lie is too general. Did whoever claimed this about the books give a citation for it? If so, can you find it?

Also, Harry can't disobey his parents. They died when he was 1 year old. :(
Ummm… all I know is I heard about it some time ago on KWVE as a short commentary. I was also talking to an unsaved friend at work who brought it up and said that he did not let his kids see the movie because the character was portrayed in many questionable ways such as what I had mentioned. I’m asking here because some here have read the books. I gota face it though and that he is a role model for many kids now and what he does or says can effect them.

Peace

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by l33tace
Ummm… all I know is I heard about it some time ago on KWVE as a short commentary. I was also talking to an unsaved friend at work who brought it up and said that he did not let his kids see the movie because the character was portrayed in many questionable ways such as what I had mentioned. I’m asking here because some here have read the books. I gota face it though and that he is a role model for many kids now and what he does or says can effect them.

Admittedly, this IS a concern that even a lot of folks who're in favor of the movies overall have voiced. Harry does have a tendancy to break a lot of rules, and he, Ron and Hermione do make a habit of poking around doing their own investigating... understand, they're never totally unjustified; when they break rules it's for the greater good and not just because they're lawless brats who think they can do what they want. Kids who read/see HP do need to understand that: that there's a difference between being a jerk and breaking this or that rule because following it might have worse consequences.

-Elias

Upvote 0
Pffft! I think the preacher is a nut and the people are giving him what they want. He WANTS them to get all worked up and go to him so he can preach at them some more. Don't get me wrong. Im against HP i don't like the whole witchcraft thing, i don't read them, i don't watch it. But like i said, the preacher dude is going overboard. It's not like christians are going to turn into witches as soon as they open the stupid book....for heavens sake...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

zyzychyn

LotR ROCKS!
Sep 2, 2002
Boston, MA
✟8,006.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I heard that lil Harry told a lie/s and made it out as an ethical decision to save a friend or something along those lines. If this is true than is this considered as a good role model example with how the writer depicted this character and action?

I think you're probably talking about the final scene of the first book. This is is. Harry vs. Voldemort (the ultimate bad guy).

Voldemort asks Harry what he sees in the mirror. He sees the location of the Philosopher's Stone. (The Stone is something that would give Voldemort immortal life and allow him to rule the world... bad thing)

Therefore, Harry lies.

I don't think this is teaching kids to be immoral or compulsive liers at all.

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am against HP. I am not against burning or tearing those books!
As for if I will do it myself, no, I won't. But if that book belongs to me, I will not let it remain mine for long.

I am prone to temptation, and my imagination often runs wild. I do not want to associate with witchcraft.

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by rpggal
I am prone to temptation, and my imagination often runs wild. I do not want to associate with witchcraft.

But then there's the question a lot of us have been dealing with, which is: is there any actual witchcraft, or anything like it, in HP?

-Elias

Upvote 0

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When Rock N' Roll 1st came out in the 1959's churches radio stations wanted it banned and it was on some stations.........

And a few years ago priests were claiming Pokemon was satanic.........

Its just entertainment!
Some clergy just take thing too critically/seriously.

Hector

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

No gods

Buttercup Atheist
Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
✟1,173.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally posted by Hector Medina
When Rock N' Roll 1st came out in the 1959's churches radio stations wanted it banned and it was on some stations.........

And a few years ago priests were claiming Pokemon was satanic.........

Its just entertainment!
Some clergy just take thing too critically/seriously.

Hector

Yup, and Tinkie Winkie is homosexual (because he sometimes carries a handbag) so you shouldn't let your christian kids watch Teletubbies, either. Puhleeeze.

Upvote 0

zyzychyn

LotR ROCKS!
Sep 2, 2002
Boston, MA
✟8,006.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think it's just people following the letter of the law instead of the spirit. They see the words 'magic' 'witch' and 'wizard' and they freak out. What they need to look at is if the actions in the book involve any sort of demonic activity - and you will see there is none.

It's a great story with funny parts and serious parts, and in which good triumphs over evil. Calling the 'magic' in Harry Potter like real world witchcraft is like calling the "Force" in Star Wars witchcraft. Or Gandalf's magic in LotR witchcraft. Or the "deep magic from beyond the dawn of time" in the Chronicles of Narnia witchcraft.

As long as you can tell the difference between REAL magic and the play "magic" in the books, I think it's fine to get some enjoyment out of reading them. They're good books (Fred and George rock!)

Also, if you haven't read the series for yourself, I really don't think you should be arguing against them. Don't talk about something if you're not qualified to talk.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, Rae, you have to grant that it might just be a school of witchcraft you've never seen. On the other hand, I still haven't seen a single real substantiation of the claims.

The problem here isn't Harry Potter; it's the tendency for English words to grow and change in meaning over time.

Upvote 0

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Uh, Seebs? If there was a sect of "Harry Potter" Witchcraft out there somewhere, Rowling wouldn't have been permitted to write her book and expose them all to us muggles. You have to grant that. :)

I think most people here wouldn't define Witchcraft as anything resembling HP, anyhow. Most of them define it as my religion, and I know my religion has nothing to do with HP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by Rae
But then there's the question a lot of us have been dealing with, which is: is there any actual witchcraft, or anything like it, in HP?

Rae, an actual Witch:
No, there isn't.

Which is what I've maintained from the beginning....

-Elias

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
Agreed, but I will add that schools do what you describe all the time today by forcing Evolution and Anti-LORD and anti-God teachings and saying that nobody can talk about or read the bible, etc in schools.
This is not the time for me to talk about evolution or anti-God teachings. But if someone has restricted you or your child from talking about or reading the Bible in school, the teacher was at fault and your rights were violated. You could contact the ACLU for help. :)

Upvote 0

aragorn

Y ah we here fallen
Sep 18, 2003
✟563.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Others
The real reason why some so-called christians don't like Harry Potter, is because the books are subversive.

They are subversive against adult lies, muggle attitudes,(a non-magical approach to life) the protestant work ethic, and Tony Blair (Blur, Fudge) They also point out that it's perfectly possible to say all the right things, give donations to good causes, and still be devoted to evil. (lucius malfoy)

Reactions: EliasEmmanuel
Upvote 0