preacher cuts up Harry Potter books

Daniella

ô¿ô what are ya lookin at
ok this is insane.. i know this preacher thats in my hometown and he is a bit.. er .. strange but this is soo silly... here is the article

http://www.sunjournal.com/story.asp?slg=111502potter

what next? they going to say mickey mouse is evil to cuz he peformed magic in fantasia? :rolleyes: give me a break.. what does everyone else think about this?

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
He is very right in opposing harry potter. It is not just a childs book. It promotes witch craft (condemned by the LORD in Leviticus) and non-Christian lifestyle and attitudes. I'm not sure that he should've done it this way. I would've done it by preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ

Upvote 0

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i don't really care anymore. like i used to be really against the book/movie cuz of all the stuff portrayed in it...but it's not a big deal anymore. i think it's cuz ii forgot why it was so bad.
like one thing i remember is that the lightning on the boy's forehead, and how that was like the Satan lightning bolt. anyone hear of that? that the lightning bolt was used as a sign for Satan? the two-pointed one. or whatever they're called.
anyways...there are some other stuff though, that has a link to satanism. like the author used to be/or is involved in witchcraft...which is why she knows so much. and she applies that all in those books. like those spells were word for word or something. anyways, i'm thinking that i should learn more before i choose a side. i'm just saying what i know. but for now, i'm gonna be neutral on harry potter. i'm not gonna watch the movie...cuz it seems boring to me.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would recommend learning more, yes. I know people who practice a couple of different types of magic, and I've at least read up on everything I've ever heard of. Rowling is using what we call the "purely imaginative" school of witchcraft, in which things are possible when they are suitable to a storyline, and words have power if they are sort of a bit of a pun if you know Latin, or just sound cool.

This school of witchcraft is noted for its total and utter lack of interest in any kind of actual functioning magic, and the light-hearted total irrelevance of its study to any kind of formalized magic system.

In other words, IT IS PURE FICTION. It's not the slightest bit similar to any school of magic practiced in the real world. Rowling shows no signs of any clue about real magic, except in that she has carefully avoided anything that might be taken seriously, such as tarot cards. The one crystal ball in the story is portrayed as a device used by sham artists.

There are a lot of false claims made about these books. It's dimly possible that there's a real connection to some kind of magic, but I've read the books a couple times and found no hint of it.

It is certainly not the case that Rowling is applying any knowledge of "real" magic in these books, unless it's by conspicuously avoiding the trappings of traditional real magic. The only thing I've seen in common is that she uses "wands", but her model of what a wand does is totally unlike anything I've seen outside of children's books.

Curiously, she's writing children's books. Maybe that's why she's using the accepted norms of the fantasy genre as much as possible.

Upvote 0

MyJhongFist

Feb 22, 2002
Visit site
✟1,152.00
Originally posted by Athlon4all
He is very right in opposing harry potter. It is not just a childs book. It promotes witch craft (condemned by the LORD in Leviticus) and non-Christian lifestyle and attitudes. I'm not sure that he should've done it this way. I would've done it by preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ

Both you, and this idiot preacher, need to get lives and do some research on what REAL witchcraft is.

Harry Potter does not sway anyone to real witchcraft.  It is purely imagination.  In fact, everyone who is fascinated by Harry Potter would no doubt find real witchcraft very boring.

Upvote 0

PastorFreud

Lie back on the couch.
Oct 25, 2002
✟6,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Now we have heard the witchcraft in Harry Potter is the SAME as the witchcraft in Leviticus. Do we come by this opinion by way of academic and historical research. No. Just because the word "witchcraft" seems to fit.

Lord, please save me from your people.

I will be taking my kids to see Harry Potter 2 this week. I have read all four books. They have not lakdf aeil I am an evil spirit! adkruoe affected me in the least bit.

The genre of fantasy requires certain literary conventions. The genre of science fiction requires a different set. People who confuse reality with fantasy are in danger no matter what fantasy book they read. They may start to think there really is a land of Oz that you can visit by way of tornado and run out into the next one to take a trip over the rainbow. The Wizard of OZ must be stopped!!

Besides, the biblical thing to do is to BURN the books, not cut them up.

And the Jesus party? Which Jesus is this? Puh..lease. Give us all a break.

Okay. I've babbled on enough about this nonsense.

Upvote 0
It is nonsense, I agree. What is especially disturbing to me is that, with all of the very real suffering and wrongdoing that needs to be redressed, there are actually people for whom such things as children's books (or adult books, for that matter) represent a moral crusade. Pathetic, really. It's hard for me to imagine Jesus wasting even five minutes on such trifles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jpnseawa

Oct 22, 2002
Near Seattle
Visit site
✟678.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by PastorFreud

I will be taking my kids to see Harry Potter 2 this week. I have read all four books. They have not lakdf aeil I am an evil spirit! adkruoe affected me in the least bit.

He he...too funny PastorFreud! ;) :D

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by PastorFreud
People who confuse reality with fantasy are in danger no matter what fantasy book they read.

Excellent point, Freud.  I am always frustrated by people who want to attack anything that doesn't quote scripture as evil and the source of societal problems.  Harry Potter is entertainment, nothing more.  If I see a kid trying to make a Volkswagen fly after watching Harry Potter 2, I will know that child has deeper issues than having seen a movie.  And, if the parents aren't responsible enough to explain the differences between fiction and reality to their children, then the parents are the problem, not the kids.  My daughter is only 2, so she isn't the least bit interested.  If she is in the future, fine.  If I find her in the kitchen turning the dog into a chicken, we'll have a chat.        

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Guys what about what the Bible says? What fellowship hath light with darkness? The Bible condemns witch craft, and Harry Potter promotes it. And from what I've heard, the characters in Harry Potter do act in very non-Christian ways. Let me just ask you this, in Colossians 3, God tells us that "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth." Is there any question on whether Harry Potter is something that is of above in heaven on God's throne? Think about it!!

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're making a big leap in assuming that the stuff in Harry Potter, and the stuff condemned in the Bible, are the same things at all.

As to your second point: Entertainment which brings joy to people, and encourages kids to read, strikes me as being more of God than fear of the unknown does.

Upvote 0

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
My two best friends are really into Harry Potter. I think it's just a bit of fun. If you weren't into Witchcraft before the books, you won't be after. It's just fun. Well, I haven't read the books or seen the movies... but I'd like to. :)

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Athlon4all
And from what I've heard, the characters in Harry Potter do act in very non-Christian ways.

A bunch of characters in the Bible act in non-Christian ways as well. Reading about sin is not the same thing as sinning, despite the people who try to twist Jesus' comments about "looking at woman with lust = adultery" to fit that. If reading about sin were the same thing as sinning, then you wouldn't be able to read the Bible either!

-Chris, who doesn't believe in "real witchcraft" anyway

Upvote 0

rapturefish

Kingdom Citizen, Spiritual Nomad
May 9, 2002
Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There's a problem with this on a few counts:

1) This "Jesus Party" is making a statement to the media and the media finds this easy prey for a fundamentalist wacko take. The guy's a Pentecostal but he's acting like he's from the bible belt. How does this help people's perception of what christians are really about? Kids will think he's bad and the secular world will think he's a wet blanket and a pharisee.

2) Harry Potter is NOT promarily about witchcraft. They have somehow got the erroneous assumption that they have the biblical mandate to burn books of magic as occurred at Ephesus when the book itself is a piece of fiction! And it was the unbelievers who burned those books of magic of their own accord as a commitment to abandon them.

Objects in and of themselves have no power. They are channels through which the Holy Spirit or evil spirits operate. So burning a book does nothing when you yourself are not under the bondage of evil spirits.

3) The book itself uses names that are rooted in Rowling's own research of actual myths and fables in connection with witches and wizards, but that's where it ends. There is no evidence as far as I know that she is into witchcraft in the slightest (only false rumours spread by christians who do the rest of us a disservice by spreading hysteria), she has a nominal christian background in fact. The references to witchcraft are light-hearted and not a serious treatment at all.

If you read the books without a biased judgement you will see that the witchcraft theme is just a stage prop for the story and characters. Just because it has witchcraft as a thematic device doesn't make the book series evil.

4) Why is there such a witchhunt after Harry Potter when so many other books which are not such obvious targets go ignored? There are worse books than Harry Potter like Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

5) The real main problem is the decision of some schools to make Harry Potter required reading when it's clear that some people have reservations and even objections over not having the right to read something else. This is probably legitimate. Cutting up a book however is absolutely counter-productive to anyone's attempt to make a legitimate claim to change the required reading status at some schools. All it does is say that you christians are fear-mongering people who don't have any case to base your fears on.

It's totally stupid. People make knee-jerk prejudicial acts of condemnation when they haven't even taken the book or movie at hand on its own merits. It's like the problem with some who objected to "The Last Temptation of Christ" but hadn't seen the movie yet - ludicrous.

If they just took their log-eyed spectacles off for one minute and read the "What-if?" statement at the beginning of the movie they would have seen it differently. It was a flawed movie, but rarely has a Jesus been so accessible as a relatable human onscreen. Just a bit too human though.

Anyway, that's all. I'm sure if our faith in Christ is real and we have authority in Jesus' name over Satan then surely we would not need to fear things we haven't even looked at properly yet.

cheers,

Upvote 0