• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Police use pepper-spray on protesters — including children — marching to Alamance polls

Discussion in 'Current News & Events (Articles Required)' started by tulc, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,962
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Ah yes, blocking a road. Perfectly good reason to pepper spray people. And of course, that puts these protestors right up there with radical Islam.

Perhaps if North Carolina didn’t have a history of suppressing the black vote this wouldn’t have happened.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Redwingfan9

Redwingfan9 Well-Known Member

+1,500
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    That's not what was taking place. They were told to move off the street and they refused.

3. Sistrin

Sistrin We are such stuff as dreams are made on... Supporter

+3,335
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Given the tactics the American left is employing, that is exactly where it puts them.

If you had actually read any of those articles you linked you would know the segregationist history you are citing in an attempt to justify violence is all properly laid at the feet of the Democrat Party. Segregation, Jim Crow Laws, Poll Taxes, Voter Suppression, the KKK, all of these are proud Democrat policies and institutions.

4. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+18,120
    Christian
    Married
    ...the irony in this part of your post? It's pretty amazing.

I take the above back, THIS part (with a slight tweak) would be one of the greatest ironic posts I've seen in a while, here it is with the tweak
    tulc(just a thought)

5. Archivist

+5,962
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    No jaywalking is breaking the law and blocking a street.

6. Sistrin

Sistrin We are such stuff as dreams are made on... Supporter

+3,335
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    When you can't form an original thought...

Just change what someone else actually said and attack that.

7. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+2,519
    Christian
    Private
    I'm not judging the motivation or justification of the protest just your comparison of a lone jay walker.

8. Archivist

+5,962
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Boloney.

I did read them. But we aren’t talking about what was going on a century ago, we’re talking about what is happening now. These were actions taken by Republicans.

9. Archivist

+5,962
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Again, it is breaking the law and blocking the street. Why shouldn’t police use pepper spray to deal with it? And obviously I’m using an extreme example, but why not?

10. DamianWarS

+2,519
    Christian
    Private
    Police respond differently to crowds then they do the individual. An uncooperative crowd can escalate very quickly where an uncooperative individual can be handled without the need of any sort of force. Also the motivations and messages are very different. With a crowd a message needs to be clear and direct and often one way and one solution where with an individual there is room for a conversation and more latitude applied. But sure if a jay walker was confronted by a police officer and the individual escalated very quickly pepper spray may be warrented but the pepper spray is used based on the escalation not the jay walking.

11. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+18,120
    Christian
    Married
    Not real clear on how a discussion goes huh? Let me try and explain: Someone makes a statement, you look at it to see if you understand what they're saying, think about how best to respond to get your point across. Since, as I understood it, the post I was responding to's point was apparently "We should give the police the benefit of the doubt because their job is difficult because people aren't always nice to them." I simply took their point, tuned it around and pointed out "Maybe that's a two way street in this situation? Maybe there's a group of people who have had multiple negative interactions with the police over the years and have a long history of being victimised by the police."

I used someone else's own words to point out an aspect of their argument they may not have considered. That's how discussions work.
    tulc(hopes that clears up any misunderstanding)

12. DamianWarS

+2,519
    Christian
    Private
    They were walking on the street to protest. The goal of jay walking is not blocking the street even if it results in this the goal is still to cross the street. With a protest being demonstrated on the street the goal is never to get off of it but continue to protest on the street and are explicitly blocking the street.

13. Archivist

+5,962
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    And as I have said, I’m using an extreme example. I’m not seriously suggesting that the police do this. But it is the same thing, the law is being broken and the street is being blocked.

You earlier mentioned an uncooperative crowd. But I don’t think this was an uncooperative crowd. In fact, most of the protestors were already on the sidewalk when the police started using pepper spray. These cops were scum. I would love to meet one and tell him that to his face but I would probably get pepper sprayed, never mind that I have freedom of speech.

14. DamianWarS

+2,519
    Christian
    Private
    You must have read a different article than what's on the OP. I don't recall looting or killing happening... your post is just hyperbole. In the real world there are more than the 2 options you present plus your scenerio you describe doesn't fit with what actually happened. Do you want me to say that if looting and killing where happening and children were in the protest than pepper spray is warrented.... Sure and while we're at it lets say Hitler and a child version of Hitler were both in the protest at the same time so of course you would be obligated spray them.

15. DamianWarS

+2,519
    Christian
    Private
    I'm not defending the actions of the police or the protest but you must see the gapping flaw in comparing it with a lone jay walker. Jay walkers do not block the street and if they do it has little impact. Crowds protesting on the street do block the streets and have a much larger impact. Those two should be treated differently.

16. Archivist

+5,962
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Except according to the reports most of the crowd had already cleared the street. This could have been closer to few jaywalkers. In any event, as I have said, I am using an extreme example. I’m not making a direct comparison.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  17. Redwingfan9

+1,500
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I suppose the next time a jaywalker refuses to get out of the street when the cops ask him to he'll be asking for a pepper spray to the face.

18. Valletta

Valletta Well-Known Member

+198
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    File the
    It is unlawful to block a road without filing the proper petition and having it accepted. And the crowd became unruly. Why does anyone think it is OK to block public roads as long as you have a Democrat message?

19. Archivist

+5,962
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    It wouldn’t surprise me when you have cops behaving in an extreme manner as these ones were.

20. Redwingfan9

+1,500
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    There's nothing extreme about trying to clear people off the street. I'm not a huge defender of cops but this was basic stuff, you have a crowd of 200 blocking traffic. Pepper spray is the easiest way to disburse a crowd that refuses to leave. The article uses children as props, as though their illegal activity shouldn't be dealt with because children might be present. Ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List