Not living up to my potential

NeedHelp88

Aug 10, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
I've had the ability since I was a young child to learn things extremely fast. This has helped me do very well in school. I also have a very natural athletic ability, and can get into shape and maintain it very quickly as well.

However, ever since joining the Army I have been so depressed that I haven't done anything to help improve my body and mind. Rather than read or study, I sit here on the computer looking for answers on places like "christianforums.com". And rather than workout and get back into phenomenal shape, I just sit here and do nothing.

I feel as though God gave me an incredible gift that, if used, would allow me to do great things for this world. Instead, I'm stuck in a dead-end job for the next 3 years, and want to kill myself every day.

What can I do to make myself more productive in my free time? How do you get over depression?

I've never been so confused in my life.

Jessica Lauren

Out of The Darkness
Aug 15, 2004
Glendale, CA
✟1,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been in that place before. More than once. Except I finally got up and made a difference. My advice is to tackle one thing at a time so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. Maybe today read a chapter from a book. Tomorrow, take a 30 minute walk... you get my point. Good luck and my prayers are with you. :)

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Whatever the reasons for you being where you are at you will need to take some definite, practical steps to make some changes. Exercise helps against depression and is also good for you. You need some biblical principles to find purpose and value where you are now, and to begin to imagine your future.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes with Great Gifts or Revelations God also has to install greater thorns. To help us learn to wait on his timing, and also to help us learn general humility. The apostle Paul was blessed with such a thorn to keep him humble. Perhaps you are where you are for God's good purpose. If you truly seek a life using the gifts given to you by God then, start by learning to find contentment in what ever situation he has lead you into. Use what you have been blessed with, to the limits that your surroundings will allow.

Look at Paul when free to do as he willed, he roamed the country side spreading the good news to all who lived then, but look at the greater body of work found in the New testament, and how it benefits every generation since that time. None of which would have been possible if Paul hadn't been imprisoned, and he took his gifts and exercised them to the limits that his situation allowed. This man was after true service to God no matter his situation.

You seem upset because you don't have the freedom to come and go as you please, or the security of living at home with your parents. You scream of depression and a lack of motivation because you can't do things the way you want them done. It sounds to me you are right were God wants you to be. In order for you to become a servant of God you first must learn how to serve where ever your placed. You chose the military, so for the next three years you will learn how to serve as a soldier, and when that time is up you can have a better understanding of what it is to be a servant. One who knows how to serve his master no matter the circumstances.

Now if you learn this lesson, and couple that with the gift you speak of, then truthfully you can become a powerful instrument of God. But if you use this time to sow bitterness, and resentment in your heart toward patiences, and humility, then you have the potential equally as powerful but for the other side.. Or if you somehow hang on to some shred of faith you will wind up a "Could have been."

You are at a cross roads, it's time to decide what you will do with what has been given you. either learn to live to God as much as your circumstances will allow no matter where you are, or embitter yourself by wishing and resenting anything that stands between you and your Idea of freedom..

Upvote 0

NeedHelp88

Aug 10, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
I guess I would just like for once in my life to feel happiness in whatever I'm doing. I've never been happy, EVER. I would think that if God would bless me with happiness while I was serving under him I would be a tremendous servant. If I could like what I was doing, I would wholeheartedly give every ounce of energy I had into doing my job (so much as I have done so in the past for brief moments of time).

I don't get the whole control his children with a thorn concept. Wouldn't he encourage healthy lives so they could serve him better? Maybe I'm a different type of person, but I can tell you one thing, when someone treats me right I tend to view them in a better perspective. All this keeping me right where he wants me is causing me to go practically insane and cringe at the mere thought of serving God. Why serve him if he continuously beats me down?

Happy servants are good servants.

Upvote 0

NeedHelp88

Aug 10, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
I guess right now I'm at that "hanging onto a shred of faith" concept. And it sickens me because I know that unless I change my ways I won't be worthwhile in the view of God. But WHY did he put me here in the first place, when I was so happy with him before joining!

After all this, the last thing I want is to become a nothing in God's eyes. I just wish he'd give me a hand and tell me what the hell is going on.

I'm not mad at anyone but myself, so please don't take it the wrong way. I'm ready to bite the bullet because I'm so sick of all these headgames and can't stand it anymore.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I would just like for once in my life to feel happiness in whatever I'm doing. I've never been happy, EVER. I would think that if God would bless me with happiness while I was serving under him I would be a tremendous servant. If I could like what I was doing, I would wholeheartedly give every ounce of energy I had into doing my job (so much as I have done so in the past for brief moments of time).

I don't get the whole control his children with a thorn concept. Wouldn't he encourage healthy lives so they could serve him better? Maybe I'm a different type of person, but I can tell you one thing, when someone treats me right I tend to view them in a better perspective. All this keeping me right where he wants me is causing me to go practically insane and cringe at the mere thought of serving God. Why serve him if he continuously beats me down?

Happy servants are good servants.

I think God would say: Humble servants are good servants. "Happiness" is just a matter of perspective. You or anyone else has the potential with in them to find happiness in what ever it is they are doing.. If you take a good look at what Paul actually went through (Can be found in the later chapters of Acts, and in some of his letters to the various churches) Paul's situation was Grave, but if you read, "joy" can be found in nearly all of his greetings or in the progress reports that are contained within the letters. you will find a man/servant of God content, if not joyful in places.. This man had nothing in this world to be joyful about.

Because he switched the currency used to buy and sell happiness from the things this world offers, to the currency that God Recognizes. His perspective, his Heart changed.. The things of this world no longer made him happy in the way it would for most people.

Now given your gifts, and potential would it not benefit God to greater glory if you also switched the currency that your heart uses to find happiness, to that of God? Would it not benefit your relationship with God better if now the only thing in your heart is what God put there, and not your own or the world's Ideas of what happiness is.

Know that, Happiness in any form is only an illusion anyway. the only thing true and stable in the way of happiness is Joy. Joy can be found as a Gift from the Holy spirit (Gal.5) Joy is the currency that God uses to help us find contentment..

If you spend the rest of your life and a billion dollars in search of happiness you'll never find it, but If you simply humble yourself to God and what ever situation he has lead you into, not only will you find Joy in what you do, but you will also find contentment. Being content with what you have should be your goal. Because between Happiness and contentment.. Contentment is the only thing attainable.

Whether you agree with the method God uses or not, they have been Identified to you in scripture, and in what I have written. again you are left with a choice, do it your way or learn to do it his way. Either way, the choice is yours to make.

If you wish to stay your course a little while longer God has time.. About 3 more years in just this trial, if memory serves me correctly.. Who knows maybe you will find the happiness you seek in all of the misery you are in..
Or if you wish to do it God's way, but don't know how to get there from here, Just ask him to show you the way. Tell him your tired of being miserable, you don't want to hold your faith for ransom (Suicide threats) and you want to find the Gift of Joy and contentment that you have been promised. In a relationship with the Holy Spirit. Ask him to help you become that great servant you think he wants you to be, and help you change anyway you need to.. When you do, just know things won't get easier right away, it took a long time to get you where you are now and it may take longer to bring you back.. It all depends on you and where your heart is.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess right now I'm at that "hanging onto a shred of faith" concept. And it sickens me because I know that unless I change my ways I won't be worthwhile in the view of God. But WHY did he put me here in the first place, when I was so happy with him before joining!

After all this, the last thing I want is to become a nothing in God's eyes. I just wish he'd give me a hand and tell me what the hell is going on.

I'm not mad at anyone but myself, so please don't take it the wrong way. I'm ready to bite the bullet because I'm so sick of all these headgames and can't stand it anymore.

Like I said in my previous Post It's not about you being happy with God, it's about God being happy with you. Even if you think you could do so much good, just being left with your idea of happiness, God knows and wants you to know and except, that it is not about what you want.

"It" is about surrendering yourself to God. No matter how many good deeds you do, or can do, they will all be but dirty rags to him. Unless your heart is right.

A good measure of how your heart is doing, is how you handle difficult situations. If you can find contentment in what or where ever God places you then you will have discovered a true relationship with him. Because it is only through the holy Spirit can we ever be satisfied in any condition.

These "hardships" like what the military is providing for you is a place for you to either grow spiritually or to shrivel up and at best not produce fruit.. If you have ever prayed for understanding, or a real relationship with God or even to be a christian.. This is an answer to that prayer.. You have to get through this, and many other other trials like this to truly have an understanding of God.

It's all about our hearts and how hard we have made them.. God needs to be first, and if we have been living our lives up to this point seeking happiness and self rewarding things, then the stark transition between the way we want to live and the process that God uses to strip us from our self serving behavior can be alittle shocking and unnerving..

Looking at the Long run (Eternity) the next three years will either be a turning point and saving grace for you, or it will help seal your fate. the choice is yours! All you have to want is change in your heart, God will help you with the rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByWayofLight

Nov 5, 2008
Nebraska
✟7,814.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You said, "I guess I would just like for once in my life to feel happiness in whatever I'm doing." and you said, "I've never been happy, EVER." So what is happiness to you? What is your definition of it? I think a child is more happy playing in a cardboard box than with a new expensive toy. I think a child is Africa is happy just to have food and water to eat and drink that day. I'm happy when my wife tickles me or when I can tell a joke and she laughs. Am I happy at work? No, it's boring and not challenging. It's like work prison to me. But I know I have to do it as we need the money to live on for my family. I have to provide for them. So I have to find my happiness in other things and so do you. You will be happy when you stop looking for it and just decide to be happy in what ever you do and wherever you are. I think God's place in all of this is that he provides an means to happiness by filling the hole in your heart so that once you accept him, you are free to let go of your fears and guilt and begin to live life as it was meant to be. I do think you are very depressed and being so you do need help. Please seek help and allow yourself to get better. The happiness will come when the depression leaves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. You need to grow up and become a man.
2. Stop feeling sorry for yourself
3. You joined because you wanted to be a man.

NOW and MOST IMPORTANT:

1 Corinthians
Chapter 7

17 Only, everyone should live as the Lord has assigned, just as God called each one.

I remember when I was in the Army and felt as you did. The only thing that changed me was myself!!! There was a guy in my room that had a very strong faith and it was spending time with him in conversation that made a GREAT change in my faith.

One thing i know for sure is:

1. There are a lot of thirsty souls where your at.
2. What's better than to use this time to read GOD'S WORD to the point the next time you read it you will already know what it's going to say. For then it's locked in your heart for you to draw from for the rest of your life. You will never be sorry you did.

Now lets see just how gifted you really are by doing what you know you should.

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

JESUS IS RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE AT!!! EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T SEE HIM!!!

( left click and hold over the above to see your personal message )

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2008
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we all struggle in finding happiness. It sounds like you may not be so happy where you are right now....in the military. Just remember its only 4 years out of a lifetime. Take out of it whatever you can, good and bad and hold on to the good. Don't lose your faith in God or give up on yourself. Like many of the people here have said, get some help for your depression. You may be a person of God but you are human. The mind is fragile. God does not do cure alls here. If you are sick, get medicine, if you have a wound you bandage it. If you are having mental stresses seek help. Look to the future...what you're going to do when you get out of the military and start making plans for it. Read the Bible and find solace in it. What is says about God and about you is true. Put God first, stay in faith, get some help for yourself, and look forward to brighter days. They are coming....

Upvote 0