The South
✟9,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on finding Christian community near me. I realize that's a difficult ask, considering I'm posing this question online without my location, but let me explain some of the obstacles I've been facing for a while.
  1. I work a sensitive job and can't really discuss the details. Most of my life I was an open book, but the past few years I've had to get creative about how I tell/don't tell people what I do. So it can be hard to form new relationships and be the new person in a group.
  2. I travel a lot for this job, so it's difficult to attend regularly. I think some people understand this when they get to know you. But unfortunately a lot of us Christians can be too attendance focused.
  3. I am in my late 30s, but everyone says I look 25, so the past several times I've attended new places, I've been steered toward much younger groups, classes, etc. before I can explain my age. Or find out there is no one my age. I get along with all ages, but I really need some peers in my life.
  4. Even if I don't have peers, I've always longed for an older mentor. Leadership was thrust on me at a young age and everyone looked to me for guidance when I barely knew what I was doing. No one has it all figured out, but I greatly wish I could find an older lady or couple that has some wisdom and experience to share.
  5. I recently reached out to a church because they had a form online for mentors/groups. Someone called and offered to set me up with an older lady for coffee and invite me to a discipleship group. She called back and said that lady was already mentoring people and a little busy, so I should just come on Sunday and get to know some people. I fully intend to rejoin a church, but because it can be tough to just walk in, especially when people start asking a lot of questions, I wanted to get to know a few people first. I know they meant well, but after getting my hopes up, I felt rejected. (I did tell them my reasons for reaching out the way I did).
  6. A lot of people with my job have supportive spouses, but I have not been blessed with a spouse yet, so I do get lonely. Add to that the fact my best friend recently pulled back from our friendship because of some personal issues she is having, so it made the lack of Christian community in my life more apparent. I started by joining this site.
I feel strong in my personal relationship with the Lord, but bereft of friends. I grew up in church (mostly a combo of non-denom and AG, but live around and have attended a lot of Baptist, as well), and used to have a supportive friend group, but most have moved or drifted away. I love my job, but it doesn't leave a lot of room to rebuild a community from scratch. I realize that's not a church or group's responsibility to cater to, but maybe there's something else I can try. I'm feeling a little defeated.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on finding Christian community near me. I realize that's a difficult ask, considering I'm posing this question online without my location, but let me explain some of the obstacles I've been facing for a while.
My local church has zoom online realtime video and allows interaction during the study time over zoom along with some limited interaction during the church service.

I have adult daughters that also look young and are well acquainted with the challenges that adults in their 30's and early 40's face. In addition our church has a lot of information on the times in which we live and what comes next. We are in a Christian community that ChristianityToday calls the 5th largest Christian community in the world and we have an incredibly active education, healthcare and Gospel mission outreach as well as disaster relief ministries in our denomination.

Our churches are widespread - world wide so when I used to travel outside the U.S. in Asia and Europe I had no problem finding one.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2023
The South
✟9,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My local church has zoom online realtime video and allows interaction during the study time over zoom along with some limited interaction during the church service.
I'm a tech person and obviously a lot of zoom really upticked during Covid, but this is actually the first time I've thought about church service/study being over Zoom. I've watched live feeds but have yet to be involved in an interactive one. That's a great idea for when I'm traveling or otherwise.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  1. I work a sensitive job and can't really discuss the details. Most of my life I was an open book, but the past few years I've had to get creative about how I tell/don't tell people what I do. So it can be hard to form new relationships and be the new person in a group.
  2. I travel a lot for this job, so it's difficult to attend regularly. I think some people understand this when they get to know you. But unfortunately a lot of us Christians can be too attendance focused.
  3. I am in my late 30s, but everyone says I look 25, so the past several times I've attended new places, I've been steered toward much younger groups, classes, etc. before I can explain my age. Or find out there is no one my age. I get along with all ages, but I really need some peers in my life.
  4. Even if I don't have peers, I've always longed for an older mentor. Leadership was thrust on me at a young age and everyone looked to me for guidance when I barely knew what I was doing. No one has it all figured out, but I greatly wish I could find an older lady or couple that has some wisdom and experience to share.
  5. I recently reached out to a church because they had a form online for mentors/groups. Someone called and offered to set me up with an older lady for coffee and invite me to a discipleship group. She called back and said that lady was already mentoring people and a little busy, so I should just come on Sunday and get to know some people. I fully intend to rejoin a church, but because it can be tough to just walk in, especially when people start asking a lot of questions, I wanted to get to know a few people first. I know they meant well, but after getting my hopes up, I felt rejected. (I did tell them my reasons for reaching out the way I did).
  6. A lot of people with my job have supportive spouses, but I have not been blessed with a spouse yet, so I do get lonely. Add to that the fact my best friend recently pulled back from our friendship because of some personal issues she is having, so it made the lack of Christian community in my life more apparent. I started by joining this site.
I feel strong in my personal relationship with the Lord, but bereft of friends. I grew up in church (mostly a combo of non-denom and AG, but live around and have attended a lot of Baptist, as well), and used to have a supportive friend group, but most have moved or drifted away. I love my job, but it doesn't leave a lot of room to rebuild a community from scratch. I realize that's not a church or group's responsibility to cater to, but maybe there's something else I can try. I'm feeling a little defeated.
A church starts with one person. The word "church" in the Bible is a translation of the Greek word "ekklesia," which means "the called-out ones." Additionally, Jesus Christ of Nazareth said this: For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” A few Christian friends is a good start!
Blessings.

• Winner
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0