neal punt/whats good about the good news

zaida

Dec 14, 2011
✟8,219.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A poster named Bryan and I began discussing this on another thread. Id like to post this on a few forums, because I think its a wider question for all Christians.

Neal says that both calvinists and arminians have part of it all right, but that they both start from the wrong place. let me see if I can simplify his whole book in a few statements.

Traditionally, all arminians and calvinists have srated from the premise that all are lost in adam - and then EXCEPT those who the Bible say will be saved. (for the calvinists, those who God elect - for the arminians, those who choose God through faith) Thats premise A as he calls it.

So, Neal then says - lets turn this around - premise B - All men are saved through Jesus - all children are elect in Christ through his grace and saving power - EXCEPT those who the Bible declares will be finally lost.

He does this by examining Bible passages - there are universalist texts (God came to save the world, so that all men should be saved, all the nations, God wishes no man should perish) and all of those.

Then he acknowledges that the Bible also says some men will live in damnation, apart from God.

So - He concludes (after looking at the Bible) - Those who will be lost are only those who through their life willfully and finally reject what revelation God has given them.

He quotes Charles Hodge a lot, a Calvinist professor, I think.

stenerson

Apr 6, 2013
✟14,161.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So he claims both Calvinists and Armenians have a wrong starting point, but that Armenians have the right conclusion.
Sripture is quite clear that all that are in Christ will come to glory..
He claims all men are saved through Jesus? And that we become unsaved through our decisions? Nope, not biblical at all.

Upvote 0