The sheep and goat judgment of Matthew 25: The Progressive Dispensationalist view

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was listening to this podcast by the Grace Evangelical society If a Man is Saved by Faith Alone, What is Happening in Matthew 25 With the Sheep and the Goats? – Grace Evangelical Society

Now I understand why and how some Christians believe that Matthew 24:13, "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.", saved there refers to only physical salvation, as in saved from dying physically during the Tribulation, and not eternal salvation.

To support that belief, they cross reference to Matthew 24:22 "And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

So they reason that, since the elect there, by definition, represents those who are eternally saved by God, the saved in vs 22 must therefore represent something else other than eternal salvation, allowing them to believe that it therefore must be physical.

By holding to that doctrine, they are able to reconcile the sheep and goat judgement with their core doctrine that salvation is always by faith alone without works.

If I understand their reasoning correctly, here is their argument:

Premise 1: 100% of those unfaithful believers would have physically died during the Tribulation
Premise 2: Those who face the sheep and goat judgement after the Tribulation are 100% faithful believers
Conclusion: They are therefore deemed as sheep, by definition.

This argument seems tautological, true by definition.

My question is "Who then will be the goats in that judgement? Will those unfaithful believers who physically died, be resurrected to face that judgement as well, and thus they will be those goats?"

Any comments on their reasoning?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was listening to this podcast by the Grace Evangelical society If a Man is Saved by Faith Alone, What is Happening in Matthew 25 With the Sheep and the Goats? – Grace Evangelical Society

Now I understand why and how some Christians believe that Matthew 24:13, "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.", saved there refers to only physical salvation, as in saved from dying physically during the Tribulation, and not eternal salvation.

To support that belief, they cross reference to Matthew 24:22 "And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

So they reason that, since the elect there, by definition, represents those who are eternally saved by God, the saved in vs 22 must therefore represent something else other than eternal salvation, allowing them to believe that it therefore must be physical.

By holding to that doctrine, they are able to reconcile the sheep and goat judgement with their core doctrine that salvation is always by faith alone without works.

Premise 1: 100% of those unfaithful believers would have physically died during the Tribulation
Premise 2: Those who face the sheep and goat judgement after the Tribulation are 100% faithful believers

My question is "Who then will be the goats in that judgement? Will those unfaithful believers who physically died, be resurrected to face that judgement as well, and thus they will be those goats?"

Their reasoning is their own tradition. Matthew 25 plainly states that those who do those things will be rewarded. Those who do not do those things will be punished.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟290,689.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Judgment in Matthew 25:31-34, is of the nations; NOT for individuals.
I view it as the rewards which Jesus brings with Him; Matthew 16:27 The people groups who helped other nations now.

The Judgment for all the people who have ever lived, is after the Millennium. Rev 2-:11-15
That is what Matthew 25:46 refers to.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Judgment in Matthew 25:31-34, is of the nations; NOT for individuals.
I view it as the rewards which Jesus brings with Him; Matthew 16:27 The people groups who helped other nations now.

The Judgment for all the people who have ever lived, is after the Millennium. Rev 2-:11-15
That is what Matthew 25:46 refers to.

So what do you think of the above argument by Progressive dispensationalist? Do you agree or disagree?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfaithful believers will not physically survive the Great Tribulation. For this reason, no unfaithful believers are represented in the judgment of the nations

So my question is, if no unfaithful believers are represented in that judgement, who will be the goats?

It appears he split into so many different groups that will be at the judgement
  1. faithful Jewish believers in Christ
  2. faithful Gentile believers
  3. Gentile unbelievers
What is the difference between no 3 and the category of Unfaithful believers?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So my question is, if no unfaithful believers are represented in that judgement, who will be the goats?

It appears he split into so many different groups that will be at the judgement
  1. faithful Jewish believers in Christ
  2. faithful Gentile believers
  3. Gentile unbelievers
What is the difference between no 3 and the category of Unfaithful believers?
A unbeliever is a person who has never trusted in The Messiah for Eternal life salvation they are not (and were never) a born again child of God.

An unfaithful believer is a believer(who has trusted in The Messiah for Eternal life salvation) who has left the faith because of some circumstance they are like the second and third soils in the parable of the soils. But still they are a born again child of God but they became a prodigal child.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A unbeliever is a person who has never trusted in The Messiah for Eternal life salvation they are not (and were never) a born again child of God.

An unfaithful believer is a believer(who has trusted in The Messiah for Eternal life salvation) who has left the faith because of some circumstance they are like the second and third soils in the parable of the soils. But still they are a born again child of God but they became a prodigal child.

So an unfaithful believer will not physically survive the tribulation but because he is born again, as you said, he will enter and inherit the kingdom, without having to go thru the sheep and goat judgement?

But if he is born again, why won’t he physically survived the tribulation?

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟130,245.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So Jesus comes back and takes over the planet. What is he suppose to do with the people, given that everybody has taken the mark?

In theory, no believers are left but there are always exceptions. Probably a few million hiding out in the wilderness.

In order for a believer to survive to the end, they would have to dodge multiple nuclear wars, dodge multiple false prophets and the mark. There are no unfaithful believers alive to greet Jesus when he comes. There are barely any believers at all left.

Is faith going to get you through nuclear wars and the mark? I don't think so. You have to do something to get through them.

Goats = Everybody who took the mark.

Anybody killed for refusing the mark comes back.

Any unfaithful believer who was killed because he/she couldn't dodge nuclear wars is not coming back at this time. Their death is unfavorable as Matthew 25:30 shows in the parable of the talents.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The same group is also known as the " wheat and the tares". Let's read the parable Jesus Christ of Nazareth shared with us. This scripture may shed some light on who they are. Blessings.

Matthew 13
24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So an unfaithful believer will not physically survive the tribulation but because he is born again, as you said, he will enter and inherit the kingdom, without having to go thru the sheep and goat judgement?

But if he is born again, why won’t he physically survived the tribulation?

It would be like in a similar way to the Hebrews who were not allowed to enter the promise land, who died in the desert. Simply God will not be pleased with these unfaithful believers during the tribulation and will either let them die physically or out right take their physical lives.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Context determines how something should be interpreted. Beginning with Matthew 24:40 up until this judgment in Matthew 25, what is the context involving? It is clearly involving the body of Christ, and that there are profitable servants and unprofitable servants in the body of Christ. Therefore, obviously the sheep represent the profitable servants in the body of Christ, the goats represent the unprofitable servants in the body of Christ.

Not only that, we should also be interpreting the sheep and goats judgment in light of the following.

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Pertaining to verses 15 and 16, who is it that does what is recorded in verse 16? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the goats.

And that we should also be interpreting the sheep and goats judgment in light of the following.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Who is it that does the will of His Father which is in heaven? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the sheep.

Who is it that verse 23 will apply to? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the goats.

Who is it that verse 24 and 25 applies to? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the sheep.

Who is it that verse 26 and 27 applies to? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the goats.

Notice what verse 26 says since this is important---And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not.

Also take notice what the sheep and goats judgment is involving.

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

The same thing Matthew 7:21 is involving since both passages are involving entering into the kingdom of heaven. And that unless one does the will of His Father which is in heaven, that one will not inherit the kingdom.

Therefore, regardless whether one agrees with me or not, I reject any interpretation regarding the sheep and goats judgment that is not taking context into consideration before deciding what that judgment is involving.

Something else I usually like to point out which undeniably proves I am correct, that the goats don't equal the wicked in general, meaning from the beginning of time through the end of time, but is only involving the NT church, is this.

Matthew 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

This is how the goats answer Jesus. And it is obvious that the 'thee' at the end of this verse is meaning Jesus, therefore, until Jesus is born first, no one before He was born, such as Cain for example, is going to be answering Jesus in that manner. In order to answer Jesus in that manner, it requires that one has to first acknowledge Him.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟238,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is how the goats answer Jesus. And it is obvious that the 'thee' at the end of this verse is meaning Jesus, therefore, until Jesus is born first, no one before He was born, such as Cain for example, is going to be answering Jesus in that manner. In order to answer Jesus in that manner, it requires that one has to first acknowledge Him.
I’m looking at the narrow gate in Luke 13:22-30.

In Luke 13:26 they have eaten and drunken in thy presence and thou has taught in our streets; and in Luke 13:28 they will see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets in the kingdom.

If the sheep/goat judgment doesn’t pertain to people prior to Jesus, then would you say the Old Testament people are in the kingdom now, or at least make it into the kingdom prior to the sheep/goat judgement?

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m looking at the narrow gate in Luke 13:22-30.

In Luke 13:26 they have eaten and drunken in thy presence and thou has taught in our streets; and in Luke 13:28 they will see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets in the kingdom.

If the sheep/goat judgment doesn’t pertain to people prior to Jesus, then would you say the Old Testament people are in the kingdom now, or at least make it into the kingdom prior to the sheep/goat judgement?

I'm not certain how to factor that in here. It's interesting what you bring up, no doubt. All I know is, the fact the goats as a group answer Jesus in the same manner, it then does not make sense that there can be any in this group, such as atheists, Cain, etc, since none of those would be answering Jesus in this manner---Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Which then implies that they professed to have had a personal relationship with Him, something atheists obviously don't, nor did Cain, for example. Jesus wasn't even born when Cain walked the earth. Why then would Cain be answering Jesus in that manner to begin with? Cain then also answering---when saw I thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then if we factor in what I already brought up per Matthew 7, the goats are going to be the ones, though they professed to have prophesied in His name, and in His name have cast out devils, and in His name done many wonderful works,--that He then says to them---I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

In this context one can't fit Cain in Matthew 7:22 nor atheists, for example, in this verse and then insist it makes sense of this verse. The same is true of the sheep and goats judgment and how the goats as a group answer Jesus in the same manner. One can't fit Cain nor atheists, for example, in that verse and then insist it makes sense of that verse.

Reactions: Zao is life
Upvote 0

grafted branch

Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟238,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not certain how to factor that in here. It's interesting what you bring up, no doubt. All I know is, the fact the goats as a group answer Jesus in the same manner, it then does not make sense that there can be any in this group, such as atheists, Cain, etc, since none of those would be answering Jesus in this manner---Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Which then implies that they professed to have had a personal relationship with Him, something atheists obviously don't, nor did Cain, for example. Jesus wasn't even born when Cain walked the earth. Why then would Cain be answering Jesus in that manner to begin with? Cain then also answering---when saw I thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then if we factor in what I already brought up per Matthew 7, the goats are going to be the ones, though they professed to have prophesied in His name, and in His name have cast out devils, and in His name done many wonderful works,--that He then says to them---I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

In this context one can't fit Cain in Matthew 7:22 nor atheists, for example, in this verse and then insist it makes sense of this verse. The same is true of the sheep and goats judgment and how the goats as a group answer Jesus in the same manner. One can't fit Cain nor atheists, for example, in that verse and then insist it makes sense of that verse.
I tend to agree that the sheep and goats all appear to be, and/or think they are saints until they are separated at the judgment. I think we will differ on when this judgment takes place but from Luke 13:28 we can know that Old Testament people are going to be in the kingdom when the others are thrust out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be like in a similar way to the Hebrews who were not allowed to enter the promise land, who died in the desert. Simply God will not be pleased with these unfaithful believers during the tribulation and will either let them die physically or out right take their physical lives.

But because you believe they are still born again, they will escape the fire prepared for the devil and the angels, without having to go thru the sheep and goat judgement?

So God outright taking away their physical lives is actually a good thing for them?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Context determines how something should be interpreted. Beginning with Matthew 24:40 up until this judgment in Matthew 25, what is the context involving? It is clearly involving the body of Christ, and that there are profitable servants and unprofitable servants in the body of Christ. Therefore, obviously the sheep represent the profitable servants in the body of Christ, the goats represent the unprofitable servants in the body of Christ.

Not only that, we should also be interpreting the sheep and goats judgment in light of the following.

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Pertaining to verses 15 and 16, who is it that does what is recorded in verse 16? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the goats.

And that we should also be interpreting the sheep and goats judgment in light of the following.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Who is it that does the will of His Father which is in heaven? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the sheep.

Who is it that verse 23 will apply to? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the goats.

Who is it that verse 24 and 25 applies to? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the sheep.

Who is it that verse 26 and 27 applies to? The sheep or the goats? Obviously, the goats.

Notice what verse 26 says since this is important---And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not.

Also take notice what the sheep and goats judgment is involving.

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

The same thing Matthew 7:21 is involving since both passages are involving entering into the kingdom of heaven. And that unless one does the will of His Father which is in heaven, that one will not inherit the kingdom.

Therefore, regardless whether one agrees with me or not, I reject any interpretation regarding the sheep and goats judgment that is not taking context into consideration before deciding what that judgment is involving.

Something else I usually like to point out which undeniably proves I am correct, that the goats don't equal the wicked in general, meaning from the beginning of time through the end of time, but is only involving the NT church, is this.

Matthew 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

The Body of Christ, where Jews and gentiles are equal before God, did not exist until Paul, so I would disagree that we will face the sheep and goat judgement.

Instead, the context of the sheep and goat judgement is found in the first verse, where "nations" are judged. It clearly refers to only gentiles who lived thru the tribulation.

So if I am one of those gentiles, I will need works, together with my faith, as you correctly quoted from James, to be considered saved in the millennial kingdom.

One of the works I will need to do, as the progressive dispy stated correctly, is to feed the Jewish brethren of Jesus who are being persecuted.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The same group is also known as the " wheat and the tares". Let's read the parable Jesus Christ of Nazareth shared with us. This scripture may shed some light on who they are. Blessings.

Matthew 13
24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”

So do you believe it is still faith alone in Christ's finished work on the cross that will save them, during the sheep and goat judgment?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
But because you believe they are still born again, they will escape the fire prepared for the devil and the angels, without having to go thru the sheep and goat judgement?

So God outright taking away their physical lives is actually a good thing for them?

Why would they not escape that fire.

No they lose no telling how much in personal reward in eternity. They may be like the example of the outer darkness in heaven.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would they not escape that fire.

No they lose no telling how much in personal reward in eternity. They may be like the example of the outer darkness in heaven.

But they are still born again, correct?

So if you believe once you are born again, you cannot lose that status thru lack of works, why will they enter that fire?

Do you agree with Wilkin in that link you provided, where he clearly states "Unfaithful believers will not physically survive the Great Tribulation. For this reason, no unfaithful believers are represented in the judgment of the nations"

If they are not represented there at all, where do they go at the end of that judgement?

Upvote 0