Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
That's far from obvious, but we do know that it originally came from bats.
Pango-bat flu? We run the risk of offending two species, not to mention the fact that it is not all species of bat carry it.

What is wrong with COVID-19?

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pango-bat flu? We run the risk of offending two species, not to mention the fact that it is not all species of bat carry it.

What is wrong with COVID-19?

I'm thinking COVID-19 with a 3/4 Bat twist. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Good to know where your morals stand!

As I said, I pity you!
Turning masks into a moral issue is outrageous. Especially so when you don't seem to have a care in the world for people who cannot wear masks, either for medical or mental health reasons. You certainly don't care about children with speech delays or who have hearing problems and rely on watching moving mouths in order to understand what's being said or how to speak. You don't care about anyone when you make moral pronouncements from on high.

• Winner
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As for passing the virus to others, it is not my responsibility to protect you from unseen and unknown dangers.
"Am I my brother's keeper?"
That sounds vaguely familiar.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Turning masks into a moral issue is outrageous. Especially so when you don't seem to have a care in the world for people who cannot wear masks, either for medical or mental health reasons. You certainly don't care about children with speech delays or who have hearing problems and rely on watching moving mouths in order to understand what's being said or how to speak. You don't care about anyone when you make moral pronouncements from on high.

You know what they say about assumptions, right?

I am one that suffers from wearing a mask as I have moderate to severe asthma, but I do it anyway. One because of my job as an EMT, but two because I want to protect the people around me when I am in public.

As for not caring about those with speech delays, etc... I have three children that suffered from speech delays. To say I don't care about that is flat out wrong. I also know there are things that can be done at home to help with said speech delays. I know, because I did them with my children. As for those who rely on mouth movements, they have designed masks to help with that and if said person doesn't have said mask, I know for myself, my girlfriend and my kids, we do our best to speak to people who do rely on mouth movements. If needed, we just stand back and mouth without voice what we are saying.

So please, you really shouldn't make assumptions about me, it proves my first sentence correct!

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"Am I my brother's keeper?"
That sounds vaguely familiar.
I can protect you from known dangers but I cannot protect you from unknown dangers. If I have a hole in the middle of my yard, I can fill it or mark it off so people don't get hurt. One of the Levitical laws requires a railing on decks and roofs. I can protect you from these things.

What I can't do is protect you from the unknown. I could have any number of diseases and not know about them. I can't protect you from them. In fact, our immune systems need us to come into contact with many viruses and bacterias so that it stays vigilant in fighting them off. Arguably we're doing each other a solid by passing things around. I can't protect you from what I don't know. If I'm actually sick, that's another matter. Then I think I do have the duty to protect others so they don't get sick. But I can't protect you from a virus I don't know I have.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I should also add, that I haven't seen my two little ones but two times since the end of February because of my job. I will not put them, both of my kids have asthma, and their mother, who is at high risk of catching Covid-19 in danger. So I put what I am saying here into practice!

I want to see my kids more than anything, but to do so risks them and their mother and I will not do that. The only reason why I was able to see them is that I had to quarantine twice due to exposure to Covid-19 patients.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I can protect you from known dangers but I cannot protect you from unknown dangers. If I have a hole in the middle of my yard, I can fill it or mark it off so people don't get hurt. One of the Levitical laws requires a railing on decks and roofs. I can protect you from these things.

What I can't do is protect you from the unknown. I could have any number of diseases and not know about them. I can't protect you from them. In fact, our immune systems need us to come into contact with many viruses and bacterias so that it stays vigilant in fighting them off. Arguably we're doing each other a solid by passing things around. I can't protect you from what I don't know. If I'm actually sick, that's another matter. Then I think I do have the duty to protect others so they don't get sick. But I can't protect you from a virus I don't know I have.
COVID-19 is a known disease and the methods for reducing its spread are also known. To intentionally, purposely defy those known protocols certainly fits. Even more so in areas where it is mandatory or required by the proprietor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well thanks for the diagnosis Mr. High and Mighty! :oldthumbsup:

18For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19For it is written,
“I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE,
AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE.”

20Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; 23but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, 24but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, 29so that no man may boast before God. 30But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31so that, just as it is written, “LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD.”

Now that ain't "about" it...that's IT!

It is written: “As surely as I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow before Me; every tongue will confess to God.”--Rom. 14-11

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
But I can't protect you from a virus I don't know I have.
How do you know that you don't have it?

You could get tested.. Test negative.. go to the corner store, touch a door handle.. get the virus.. and have it with no symptoms and pass it on.

That is one of the problems with this virus. Nobody can state... "I don't have it".

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Simply declaring disagreement does not debunk a dozen articles. I'm uninterested in consensus, my entire point is that masks aren't a settled scientific issue and that free people should be free to decide whether they want to wear a mask or not.

In a pandemic the government has the right to take certain actions.

I'm curious, should women be allowed to go topless in public? As free people shouldn't that be their decision?

As for passing the virus to others, it is not my responsibility to protect you from unseen and unknown dangers. That's a long standing property law concept dating back to early English common law. I don't happen to believe the mask does anything to protect anyone and I am unwilling to play the placebo game. If you want to that is your business but don't use the heavy hand of a tyrannical state to force me to submit to your outmoded fears.

It isn't your responsibility? Jesus said "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." You can believe what you want, but masks have been shown to reduce the passage of the virus from an infected person to a non-infected person. If you truly love your neighbor, why would you not want to reduce the chance of your passing the virus on to him/her.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

I'm curious, should women be allowed to go topless in public? As free people shouldn't that be their decision?

It is legal in Ontario Canada...A "right" that the women fought for and never make use of it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How do you know that you don't have it?

You could get tested.. Test negative.. go to the corner store, touch a door handle.. get the virus.. and have it with no symptoms and pass it on.

That is one of the problems with this virus. Nobody can state... "I don't have it".
You could say the same thing with any other virus. People get noroviruses all the time and they don't know they have it until they're vomiting. They likely passed it around for 2-3 days, having no idea they were sick. Unless we're all going to live in isolation forever, we're going to unknowingly pass all sorts of stuff to other people. That's life.

• Friendly
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

It isn't your responsibility? Jesus said "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." You can believe what you want, but masks have been shown to reduce the passage of the virus from an infected person to a non-infected person. If you truly love your neighbor, why would you not want to reduce the chance of your passing the virus on to him/her.
You and I have a profound disagreement on the effectiveness of masks. I believe it is unloving to expect people to wear a placebo mask. It isn't good or healthy for children, it's not good or healthy for people with certain medical conditions and it certainly isn't good or healthy for people with mental illnesses. It's good and loving that others should see my face, whether I'm smiling at them or whatever emotion I'm conveying. For children this is incredibly important. Why don't you love the children?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When was the last time you drove your car into a bridge abutment at 90 mph? Never? So I guess it's stupid for you to think that seat belts aren't worthless?

Thanks for proving my point so quickly.

And again, what kind of person thinks it is ok because they have on a seatbelt? Is the apparatus rated for that collusion? So, same could be said about people incorrectly utilizing something they do not fully understand, or use incorrectly; thinking they are protected far beyond what it's limitations actually are.

This is common sense. Flying into anything at 90 mph... no matter what safety systems are present, is not safe. Thinking you are safe solely because you have said systems, but still have no regard for simple concepts like physics, is not safe.

All safety products are a mitigation. Nothing is fail proof, and everything has both acceptable parameters and limitations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.