I need to either find a spouse or learn how to be at peace with being single, how do I do that?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm hoping to help explain what I see going on from the outside. But I t doesn't help anyone to make it "me vs all of you" and start assuming people's motives.

Maybe we can all step back and offer one another forgiveness for misunderstandings and move forward?

Upvote 0

CowboyAndy

Orthodox Catholic, former Baptist
Jul 9, 2019
Texas
✟950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FYI, the existence of Dowry practices prove women needed providing for by men. The Dowry makes no economic sense otherwise.
Nowadays it doesn't make much economic sense, at least in most of the world. Therefore it no longer exists.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe this forum is full of male feminists who think men shouldn't provide for women, and women shouldn't be housewives.
You are making a strawman cowboy.

Just a few men called you out and even one seems to agree on your ideas.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you want to find a traditional wife who is also willing to marry a Western man, Southeast Asia

Actually I advocate this. In fact I advocate it for traditionally minded men over marrying another Christian woman as traditional cultures have more in common with each other compared to secular-minded cultures even if the religions are more alike.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrei D
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
  • Agree
Reactions: Andrei D
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess you didnt understand my comment as it's about how women discriminate against blue collar men.

There’s no discrimination. We’re addressing lifelong connections. A sensible person prefers a partner who desires them and appreciates who they are and what they bring to the relationship. If someone doesn’t value that then move on.

These are NYC women (actually the many 40+ plus year old Greek-Cypriot women I personally know from NY) who refuse to date men with anything less than a masters degree and a 6 figure income salary, but wonder why they are not married while their less attractive friends have been happily married for years.

The only person who has to live with the consequences of their decisions are the ones involved. Whether she wants 6 or 7 figures is immaterial. We have no jurisdiction over anyone’s choices.

Upvote 0

Coolbutclueless

Jul 9, 2019
United States
✟26,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dictionaries usually go all PC in their definitions. Women in history needed providing for. That's a fact.
If someone else is grossed out by poor Asian women marrying up, that's their taste. I certainly don't agree with it.

He committed a strawman by claiming I was talking about marrying a woman who was only interested in moving to America and not for a loving marriage.

Let me get this straight, your defense against what someone said is "the dictionaries are all wrong"

Nothing wrong with marrying a poor Asian woman. If he's having a hard time finding a traditional woman in his country, he could go elsewhere. What's gross about that?
You do seem easily offended. Or did you assume I meant marry a woman who wanted only money and not a loving marriage as well? In that case, you committed a straw-man or false assumption. Whichever.

Wow. I'm disgusted by this forum. You guys actually think providing for a poor woman is gross.
Or did you think it's not possible for a poor woman to want a loving marriage AND to move to a wealthier country? I never said to marry a woman without love.

It's not. These white guys make all sorts of assumptions because they're scared to talk about race relations. I'm not.

I have absolutely no problems talking about race relations, I'm white and my last girlfriend was black. It was never an issue for me.

Maybe this forum is full of male feminists who think men shouldn't provide for women, and women shouldn't be housewives.

I don't think men SHOULD provide for their wife and I don't think women SHOULD be housewives. You keep talking about "a traditional woman" but there is nothing traditional about what your talking about.

Proverbs 31 describes the type of woman a person following God should look for.

"She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night."

Thats not a "traditional" woman, thats not a housewife either. Thats a woman who is working woman, who is taking the initiative, being involved in business and commerce, I mean trading back in the day was not like going to the store today yet it says her trading was profitable so apparently she is able to carry her own weight. THAT is a woman.

There is nothing wrong with a woman being a stay at home mom but at the same time she shouldn't be be doing nothing either.

But even THAT is not what I take the most issue with in your post. I have struggled to find the word, its been on the tip of my tongue, the reason your replies have left such a horrible taste in my mouth and I finally realized what it us.

What you are suggesting is predatory , and THAT is not only an unhealthy way to view a future life partner but its an unhealthy way to view people in general.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You need to cool your jets, Cowboy. When the guys of TAW are being called “male feminists,” it’s just plain obvious that you don’t know people here....

I’m married to a Filipina. I met her in the Philippines, petitioned her to come here, married her, and we’ve been married 20 years. My wife is a true treasure. When I met her, long story, she wasn’t looking for a guy, and I was not hunting for a gal.

Nobody here said men can’t provide for women. I sure didn’t.....but I will say my wife is an RN who make as much money as I do, actually more now, and when she finishes her Nurse Practitioner certification and Masters, she’ll take our income over $200,000. She’s a go-getter....

Nobody said women shouldn’t be housewives. My wife quit her real estate job when we had kids and stayed home with our three children. When they were all in school full day, she became a nurse. We have lived both ways.

No, I’m not easily-offended. You don’t know me very well. But your post and sentiment troubled me.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You wouldn’t have come out guns blazing in a face to face conversation. I hope.

Clearly everyone made their own assumptions and got offended by them, then claim I was the one attacking straw-men.

I doubt this would've happened in a face-to-face conversation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we’re so disgusting, I’d seek the TAW exit doors. But I’d actually prefer you stay and become our friend.

Wow. I'm disgusted by this forum. You guys actually think providing for a poor woman is gross.
Or did you think it's not possible for a poor woman to want a loving marriage AND to move to a wealthier country? I never said to marry a woman without love.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This thread has been greatly turned away from its purpose. Thank you to those who have tried to turn it back.

Does anyone have any further advice for those of us in situations like the OP? We all recognize that it is not good that man or woman should be alone.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This thread has been greatly turned away from its purpose. Thank you to those who have tried to turn it back.

Does anyone have any further advice for those of us in situations like the OP? We all recognize that it is not good that man or woman should be alone.
What I’ve heard is that one should train to be a monastic and stay in that mindset until someone comes into their lives. If that is the mindset, then the manifestation of “non-neediness”/having faith in God’s Providence happens without anxiety or despair. Then again, this is an ideal that I’m struggling with.

Online dating is a good idea, but there aren’t many good Orthodox dating sites except for OrthodoxAndSingle... but this website isn’t established yet.

There are other sites overseas, but they are in other languages.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What I’ve heard is that one should train to be a monastic and stay in that mindset

Hmm. That's already the ideal in my Church.

I guess I just keep on keepin' on, then! Cool. :cool:

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
What I’ve heard is that one should train to be a monastic and stay in that mindset until someone comes into their lives. If that is the mindset, then the manifestation of “non-neediness”/having faith in God’s Providence happens without anxiety or despair. Then again, this is an ideal that I’m struggling with.

Can you expound on this principle please? It sounds similar to what I’m employing in my life. But I’d love to hear another perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can you expound on this principle please? It sounds similar to what I’m employing in my life. But I’d love to hear another perspective.
Essentially, the principle is to seek God and put all of one’s energy, desire, and attentiveness on Him and then let everything else follow. If someone comes alongside you during the time of seeking God and putting one’s energy, desire, and attentiveness into Him; His commandments, prayer, fasting, alms, etc..., then the right person will come alongside you in that vision, if it is His will.

Prayer to St. Xenia of Petersburg also helps I’ve heard.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Coolbutclueless

Jul 9, 2019
United States
✟26,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Prayer to St. Xenia of Petersburg also helps I’ve heard.

Is there a specific prayer? I ask for her petitions most days but I don't actually have any specific prayers for her on the issue.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I found this prayer on St. Gregory of Palamas Outreach page (saintgregoryoutreach.org) under the title of "Prayer to Find a Spouse", so I assume it is acceptable in the EO tradition (I see nothing in it that I couldn't also pray, even though I'm not aware if we have something this specific in my tradition):

All-Good and Merciful Lord, I know that any enduring happiness in my life dependeth upon my wholehearted love for Thee and upon mine actions according to Thy holy will in all things; wherefore, direct my soul, O God, and fill my heart. I seek to please Thee alone, for Thou art my Creator and my God. Preserve me from pride and self-love. Let reason, modesty and chastity adorn me. Idleness is hateful unto Thee and breedeth vice; grant unto me the inclination to be fruitful in labor, and bless Thou my work.

Thy law commandeth that man and wife live in chaste matrimonial union; wherefore lead me, Holy Father, to this blessed calling not for the satisfaction of passions but unto the fulfillment of Thy commandment; for Thou hast said that it is not good that man should live alone and, having created woman as his helper, Thou blessest them to be fruitful and multiply that they may fill the earth.

Hear my humble prayer, which ascendeth unto Thee from the depths of my heart: Grant unto me an honest and pious spouse that, through our love and harmony, together we may praise Thee, our Compassionate God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Coolbutclueless

Jul 9, 2019
United States
✟26,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I found this prayer on St. Gregory of Palamas Outreach page (saintgregoryoutreach.org) under the title of "Prayer to Find a Spouse", so I assume it is acceptable in the EO tradition (I see nothing in it that I couldn't also pray, even though I'm not aware if we have something this specific in my tradition):

All-Good and Merciful Lord, I know that any enduring happiness in my life dependeth upon my wholehearted love for Thee and upon mine actions according to Thy holy will in all things; wherefore, direct my soul, O God, and fill my heart. I seek to please Thee alone, for Thou art my Creator and my God. Preserve me from pride and self-love. Let reason, modesty and chastity adorn me. Idleness is hateful unto Thee and breedeth vice; grant unto me the inclination to be fruitful in labor, and bless Thou my work.

Thy law commandeth that man and wife live in chaste matrimonial union; wherefore lead me, Holy Father, to this blessed calling not for the satisfaction of passions but unto the fulfillment of Thy commandment; for Thou hast said that it is not good that man should live alone and, having created woman as his helper, Thou blessest them to be fruitful and multiply that they may fill the earth.

Hear my humble prayer, which ascendeth unto Thee from the depths of my heart: Grant unto me an honest and pious spouse that, through our love and harmony, together we may praise Thee, our Compassionate God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages.

Amen.

Yeah thats the one I pray pretty often. What I mean is their a specific petition or prayer to St. Xenia of Petersburg

Upvote 0