+RubiesFire+

Senior Veteran
Nov 1, 2005
✟18,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have to say I actually enjoy being single, and I am sure many will think I am nuts! :D

My Sister and I were both having a discussion today-Ever since she was young and so was I, we always had a different view.

My Sister wants Marriage, Children, she's now 25, and she doesn't understand why I don't. She is still upset that she's still single and not married.

I don't desire Marriage, nor any type of dating, I love kids, but I don't want any. I've been like that since I was 8. Now I am 24 my view really hasn't changed since then.

My family doesn't understand why I don't desire Marriage, the thing is I want to work for Christ, and what I mean is that I want to travel and spread the Gospel. I view if marriage got in my way, everything that I desire to do will halt to an end, because then I will need to focus on my own family than God's entire family. Is that selfish of me?
I guess I sense something great that I must do for Christ, and the word Marriage makes me refuse the thought of ever settling down, it's like when someone ever talks to me about Marriage, something deep inside me, doesn't connect?! It's like I enjoy being single, because I love to focus more on God, I once did have a man in my life, but I realized how quickly I became distracted from God, and then I forgot what my purpose was supposed to be.

Anyone ever experience that?! :groupray:

JourneyRain

Though None Go With Me
Feb 6, 2005
Virginia
✟17,727.00
Faith
Christian
I'm more like your sister desiring marriage and a family but I also want a career. I want both.

I once was happy being single which is why I didn't date much. Now, I'm not happy with it. I want marriage and kids but I don't have it.

I'm glad that you are happy being single AND I'm really glad that you recognize that you couldn't have that man in your life. It appears that you might have the gift of singleness. If so, I'm glad it is someone who seems to be content with it.

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Being single is great, I can spend my weekends lounging around coffee houses.

I see where you're coming from though. It's not for me, but I do feel like while I'm single, I need to be focusing on a lot of different things. I'm glad I have the time to sort through them, too.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Isn't it funny how marriage is thought of as 'settling down'? Chasing the kids all over the place while taking care of the spouse (or is that chasing the spouse all over the place while taking care of the kids?) doesn't sound very 'settling' to me.

Each of us is different. No need to feel pressured into doing something with your life that doesn't fit. While I can't quite relate to your perspective, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

psst...you know you secretly want to be a soccer mom *nudge nudge*. ;)

Upvote 0

Alexander1982

Oct 13, 2005
Brisbane
✟1,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I think it's easier to embrace singledom when we look at the cons of marriage....
- spending alot of money on keeping the family secure,
- stress in taking care of wife and kids,
- you can't do the things you enjoyed doing before marriage...
- responsibility and commitments

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm kinda caught in between hehe.

I do like being single. I like the fact that my singleness allows for me to just grow up and grow in my walk with the Lord. I think this is really a time that God can use to glorify His name :)

At the same time though I do think I'm meant for marriage and so yeah I desire to be married and have kids at some point down the road. But for now I'm content to be where God has called me.

And there's nothing wrong with where you are in life. If you're not interested in marriage or if marriage would be a distraction then you need to live your life as God has called you. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2006
Seoul, South Korea
✟9,229.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OP you may be one of those people who have the gift of celebacy. Count yourself lucky. But be advised we can and do change our perspectives as time marches on and things take on impotance that at one time we never gave a thought to. I know many women who in their 20's shunned marriage and kids. That is until all their wild partying friends eventually got married and thus - no more wild parties. This may never happen to you and I hope that it doesn't.:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bogie

Dec 19, 2004
Aurora, Colorado
Visit site
✟23,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
RubiesFire1382 said:
I have to say I actually enjoy being single, and I am sure many will think I am nuts! :D

My Sister and I were both having a discussion today-Ever since she was young and so was I, we always had a different view.

My Sister wants Marriage, Children, she's now 25, and she doesn't understand why I don't. She is still upset that she's still single and not married.

I don't desire Marriage, nor any type of dating, I love kids, but I don't want any. I've been like that since I was 8. Now I am 24 my view really hasn't changed since then.

My family doesn't understand why I don't desire Marriage, the thing is I want to work for Christ, and what I mean is that I want to travel and spread the Gospel. I view if marriage got in my way, everything that I desire to do will halt to an end, because then I will need to focus on my own family than God's entire family. Is that selfish of me?
I guess I sense something great that I must do for Christ, and the word Marriage makes me refuse the thought of ever settling down, it's like when someone ever talks to me about Marriage, something deep inside me, doesn't connect?! It's like I enjoy being single, because I love to focus more on God, I once did have a man in my life, but I realized how quickly I became distracted from God, and then I forgot what my purpose was supposed to be.

Anyone ever experience that?! :groupray:

I agree with you on a certain level here, but I don't think I would want to remain single all my life. I think once I discover my wife, we will both embrace God and make each other stronger. Errr at least that would be nice.

Upvote 0

Audiomechanic

^ My Name | v Things I say
Dec 16, 2005
Katy, TX
✟10,234.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Alexander1982 said:
I did once enjoyed single life, that is until stupid infatuations came and ruined everthing.

I try to go back to the happiness of singledom but it's just not the same anymore

Very well put.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i've never wanted a career; i always wanted to be a wife and mom. For a long time I was okay with singleness , even happy; I was even happy with the career b/c it's what I had to do. Then I met someone that completely changed my feelings toward singleness. For the first time, marriage was a possibility and I knew that that is what I wanted. Well, the guy is no longer in my life, but I know I want marriage, a family, and children. I feel very passionate about that, so singleness no longer is a happy thing for me. This lady at my church told me maybe that relationship happened so that God could show me how wonderful it could be so that I would be open to marriage. I can honestly say that it's a desire of my heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.