why does the bible offer hope for the future but some christians die wretched?

InThePottersChamber

Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
✟35,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi

i want to ask,
1) why are some Christians' lives so hard?
2) why are some christians so hypocritical?

1) I knew this old lady, she was very devout, but her life was wrecked. Her children died of cancer, and her husband divorced her (or died in an automobile accident, i can't recall right now). She went to church but no one wanted to befriend her, she was literally alone. No family left, quite poor, friendless. The church was my previous church, they are very judgemental. She obviously couldnt switch churches if she wanted to, that's why she didn't leave.

this woman didn't do , and didn't not do anything, for those things to happen to her family. No one can predict who will get cancer and when, it's not like she didn't do well on her job because she was slacking, or that she couldn't control her temper, that's why she's poor. Why would God allow something like this to happen to some Christians? When he said in Jeremiah that He wants to give us a hope and a future.

If you're going to answer "she will have a hope and a future in heaven", please don't bother to respond. Sure, heaven is good, but it's not fair if we suffer so much here, just for eternity in paradise, it just isn't. I'm far from saying heaven isn't worth it, what I'm saying is that sometimes in this life things are so bad that it feels like you want to die, i know it could get worse, and i know we should be grateful, and i am, but it still hurts. Why would a good lord allow this? The only reason i can think of is that the son and daughter could have done something that would have really hurt her, or others, or if they didnt die they would meet a worse end. Those are the only reasons i can think of. Do you agree?

2) Some Christians are super hypocritical. They go on a long rant everytime you meet them and claim they don't like money, but when they see a rich man or if they see money you can see their mouths water and their faces shine. I don't get what's so wrong about wanting money. I don't think it's a trait that greed gives birth to. Money is a neccessity in today's world. If I want to buy the most expensive luxurious soap because it genuinely makes me feel good, improves my skin, not because i want to brag, i don't see how that is a sin. I find it really repulsive when people try to claim they are somebody they obviously aren't. Accept your flaws for goodness sake. You're not God. I feel it's narcissistic to hide a desire for wealth or/and fame. and it's manipulative. if you don't want something or don't want people to know you want something, then just don't bring it up altogether. Why do you need to manipulate me with long rants everytime we talk? It's so irritating. Why do you think they do this, and how do i stop being so irritated? I'm not judgemental. i love human nature, but i have several petpeeves and i cant stand it anymore. i think this isn't human nature. the only people who do it are very selfish, manipulative, jealous, arrogant, narc people. i hate these type of people.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
hi

i want to ask,

1) I knew this old lady, she was very devout, but her life was wrecked. Her children died of cancer, and her husband divorced her (or died in an automobile accident, i can't recall right now). She went to church but no one wanted to befriend her, she was literally alone. No family left, quite poor, friendless. The church was my previous church, they are very judgemental. She obviously couldnt switch churches if she wanted to, that's why she didn't leave.

this woman didn't do , and didn't not do anything, for those things to happen to her family. No one can predict who will get cancer and when, it's not like she didn't do well on her job because she was slacking, or that she couldn't control her temper, that's why she's poor. Why would God allow something like this to happen to some Christians? When he said in Jeremiah that He wants to give us a hope and a future.

If you're going to answer "she will have a hope and a future in heaven", please don't bother to respond. Sure, heaven is good, but it's not fair if we suffer so much here, just for eternity in paradise, it just isn't. I'm far from saying heaven isn't worth it, what I'm saying is that sometimes in this life things are so bad that it feels like you want to die, i know it could get worse, and i know we should be grateful, and i am, but it still hurts. Why would a good lord allow this? The only reason i can think of is that the son and daughter could have done something that would have really hurt her, or others, or if they didnt die they would meet a worse end. Those are the only reasons i can think of. Do you agree?

2) Some Christians are super hypocritical. They go on a long rant everytime you meet them and claim they don't like money, but when they see a rich man or if they see money you can see their mouths water and their faces shine. I don't get what's so wrong about wanting money. I don't think it's a trait that greed gives birth to. Money is a neccessity in today's world. If I want to buy the most expensive luxurious soap because it genuinely makes me feel good, improves my skin, not because i want to brag, i don't see how that is a sin. I find it really repulsive when people try to claim they are somebody they obviously aren't. Accept your flaws for goodness sake. You're not God. I feel it's narcissistic to hide a desire for wealth or/and fame. and it's manipulative. if you don't want something or don't want people to know you want something, then just don't bring it up altogether. Why do you need to manipulate me with long rants everytime we talk? It's so irritating. Why do you think they do this, and how do i stop being so irritated? I'm not judgemental. i love human nature, but i have several petpeeves and i cant stand it anymore. i think this isn't human nature. the only people who do it are very selfish, manipulative, jealous, arrogant, narc people. i hate these type of people.

To be truthful, God's adversary is not hiding out just in the bars, but is also in churches. Just because someone goes to church does not mean they are following God and this applies to all churches, no church is immune to this. The best defense is to study God's Word and ensure what a church is teaching matches with what scripture teaches.

If you look at scripture it was God's "people" who crucified Him, the Pharisees thought they were doing the will of God, but Jesus condemned them for keeping their traditions and rules over the commandments of God. Matthew 15:3-9 Not much has changed.

God sends the sun and rain to all people Matthew 5:45 Our reward is not on this earth, but when Jesus comes. God blesses all of us in some form or fashion and sometimes those blessings are overlooked. We need to keep the faith regardless if we have rain or sun and sometimes too much sun is not always good either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hi

i want to ask,

I wish I had an answer to (1). I know some good hearted, faithful folks who seem to encounter one seemingly insurmountable trial after another, and it's not fair when some rapscallions seem to skate through life. I don't think there's an answer that doesn't come across as trite and out of touch. I assume God has reasons for creating and allowing this kind of world where truly good people suffer unjustly and others get away with murder, literally, but I do believe God will sort it. I don't think it's completely unhelpful to believe their suffering will be compensated in the next age because if it's not, then there is not a good God and evil wins. Still, I agree with you, that saying so doesn't alleviate what some suffer now.

I really like your suggestion for (2). What is the cure to hypocrisy? Shut up. Stop talking. I'm taking that to heart as I write this, so....
:)

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says: The love of money is the root of all evil. The rest you are reading into it. The story of the wheat and tares. There are weeds growing up with the faithful, right in their own churches. It becomes a challenge how to treat them. But the woman you mention @OP is enduring mistreatment or persecution and all for Jesus, she will get her reward if she endures to the end. Life is not fair, some people pray for blessings, some people pray for strength. In Jeremiah, the wicked have the blessings and are prayed to get justice. We don’t want justice because all have sinned we could all be better. We want grace, it sounds like you have it so give grace to those who deserve it and be a Christian to those who don’t. It is not natural to be godly.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible says: The love of money is the root of all evil. The rest you are reading into it. The story of the wheat and tares. There are weeds growing up with the faithful, right in their own churches. It becomes a challenge how to treat them. But the woman you mention @OP is enduring mistreatment or persecution and all for Jesus, she will get her reward if she endures to the end. Life is not fair, some people pray for blessings, some people pray for strength. In Jeremiah, the wicked have the blessings and are prayed to get justice. We don’t want justice because all have sinned we could all be better. We want grace, it sounds like you have it so give grace to those who deserve it and be a Christian to those who don’t. It is not natural to be godly.
Interesting thoughts. Thanks

• Friendly
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hi

i want to ask,

You have some valid statements and concerns. I am hearing a lot of frustration and sorrow.
Much of this is addressed in the Gospel and the provision God has already given us. It also sounds like there may be a curse involved. There is an unnatural amount of Job-like misfortune and suffering.
Don't listen to people who suggest that you must endure suffering and not be concerned. In some ways we all will suffer some things, but what you describe in beyond that. If it were persecution, then that is something we are to expect. But this sounds like the devil and his deeds. You certainly deserve to be in reasonably good health, and have sufficient goods to fulfill your needs. The devil wants to steal that from you. He has, after all, come to steal, kill, and destroy. Jesus, on the other hand, came that we might have life and and that more abundantly. In my understanding, Jesus provided for everything in the atonement. He redeemed us from every curse, disease, and poverty. Some people get angry when you mention this and accuse you of teaching the "prosperity gospel." Don't listen to them. Most of them are living in nice homes, have 3 cars, retirement plans, and insurance policies. You believe in God and His goodness. Know it. Trust it. He is faithful and just. Bottom line here... Jesus suffered and died so that we could have eternal life and abundant life. I am not talking about $100,000 cars and private jets. I am talking about paying your bills, driving a safe and trustworthy vehicle, and getting your kids decent clothes and food. I have ben there. I have written checks for bills, hoping my paycheck would reach the bank first. I have lived in a house with no running water and no heat. A wife and three kids. And the car broken down. Walking to work every day and the wife begging for a ride to the grocery store. Been there, been there. Don't let anyone tell you this is what God wants for you. It is not.
Someone said money is not everything, and they are right. But it certainly helps when you have bills, the rent is due, and the grocery store does not give food away. We are not talking about "loving money" here. We live in a world where you cannot get the things you need except by money. In the days of Jesus money was actually worth something. It was gold, copper, silver, and other precious items. Today it is just a piece of paper and a broken promise. I don't love a piece of paper that is essentially worth nothing. But it is what people expect to receive for goods and services, so we have no choice but deal with it. If you are going to have your needs met in this world, it is going to involve money.
Start with the truth that God wants you well and He wants your needs to be met. Never let the devil lie to you and suggest to you that this is your lot in life, to suffer endlessly in sickness, want, and torment. Start with this fact:
Hebrews 11:6 KJV
6. But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
hi

i want to ask,

Have you read the book of Job?

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have some valid statements and concerns. I am hearing a lot of frustration and sorrow.
Much of this is addressed in the Gospel and the provision God has already given us. It also sounds like there may be a curse involved. There is an unnatural amount of Job-like misfortune and suffering.
Don't listen to people who suggest that you must endure suffering and not be concerned. In some ways we all will suffer some things, but what you describe in beyond that. If it were persecution, then that is something we are to expect. But this sounds like the devil and his deeds. You certainly deserve to be in reasonably good health, and have sufficient goods to fulfill your needs. The devil wants to steal that from you. He has, after all, come to steal, kill, and destroy. Jesus, on the other hand, came that we might have life and and that more abundantly. In my understanding, Jesus provided for everything in the atonement. He redeemed us from every curse, disease, and poverty. Some people get angry when you mention this and accuse you of teaching the "prosperity gospel." Don't listen to them. Most of them are living in nice homes, have 3 cars, retirement plans, and insurance policies. You believe in God and His goodness. Know it. Trust it. He is faithful and just. Bottom line here... Jesus suffered and died so that we could have eternal life and abundant life. I am not talking about $100,000 cars and private jets. I am talking about paying your bills, driving a safe and trustworthy vehicle, and getting your kids decent clothes and food. I have ben there. I have written checks for bills, hoping my paycheck would reach the bank first. I have lived in a house with no running water and no heat. A wife and three kids. And the car broken down. Walking to work every day and the wife begging for a ride to the grocery store. Been there, been there. Don't let anyone tell you this is what God wants for you. It is not.
Someone said money is not everything, and they are right. But it certainly helps when you have bills, the rent is due, and the grocery store does not give food away. We are not talking about "loving money" here. We live in a world where you cannot get the things you need except by money. In the days of Jesus money was actually worth something. It was gold, copper, silver, and other precious items. Today it is just a piece of paper and a broken promise. I don't love a piece of paper that is essentially worth nothing. But it is what people expect to receive for goods and services, so we have no choice but deal with it. If you are going to have your needs met in this world, it is going to involve money.
Start with the truth that God wants you well and He wants your needs to be met. Never let the devil lie to you and suggest to you that this is your lot in life, to suffer endlessly in sickness, want, and torment. Start with this fact:
6. But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

There is a lot of suffering going on and substance abuse and homelessness. In the 70s they estimated that 45000 people per day were dying of starvation world wide. A lot of suffering, Christian and not. To me this is the beginning of sorrows before the tribulation and bad things happen to good people. It won’t be it isn’t good for all people with faith. Why?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a lot of suffering going on and substance abuse and homelessness. In the 70s they estimated that 45000 people per day were dying of starvation world wide. A lot of suffering, Christian and not. To me this is the beginning of sorrows before the tribulation and bad things happen to good people. It won’t be it isn’t good for all people with faith. Why?
You may be correct. Some suggest that the "beginning of sorrows" started with WW1. Then the depression. WW2, and right on up through COVID and the imminent economic crash. Of course these sorts of things have been happening all through time. As the scripture indicates there will be tribulation and time and circumstance occurs to all people. There is nothing new under the sun so to say. See the link in my signature and welcome to the Christian Prepper Forum. :pray:
When I discuss Christians Prepping, people insist to me that we are fearful, lack faith, and God will not allow Christians to suffer. Yet when we talk about healing and prosperity they then insist that Christians will suffer and to stop accusing them of being faithless. Kind of odd to me. To the first: "God will not allow Christians to suffer." I look back in history and recent events and I see Christians suffer right along side the unbelievers. When Dresden was firebombed, we did not see thousands of Christians streaming out of that city unharmed. They died right along side the unbelievers. During the plague, every famine, and every natural disaster we see believers passing to the same fate as unbelievers. So on the one hand it is a denial of reality to say God will not allow believers to suffer and even die. So YES, you have a valid reason to PREP for bad times you see are coming. On the other hand, and to the second point, God has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness. Believe God and you will be saved. If you want to please God, you have to believe that He is, AND that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. This is a no-compromise requirement for all who want to please God. So live and prepare like you and yours will be here years to come, and at the same time be ready to go at any time. All this is appropriate and when done in faith, is pleasing to God.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may be correct. Some suggest that the "beginning of sorrows" started with WW1. Then the depression. WW2, and right on up through COVID and the imminent economic crash. Of course these sorts of things have been happening all through time. As the scripture indicates there will be tribulation and time and circumstance occurs to all people. There is nothing new under the sun so to say. See the link in my signature and welcome to the Christian Prepper Forum. :pray:
When I discuss Christians Prepping, people insist to me that we are fearful, lack faith, and God will not allow Christians to suffer. Yet when we talk about healing and prosperity they then insist that Christians will suffer and to stop accusing them of being faithless. Kind of odd to me. To the first: "God will not allow Christians to suffer." I look back in history and recent events and I see Christians suffer right along side the unbelievers. When Dresden was firebombed, we did not see thousands of Christians streaming out of that city unharmed. They died right along side the unbelievers. During the plague, every famine, and every natural disaster we see believers passing to the same fate as unbelievers. So on the one hand it is a denial of reality to say God will not allow believers to suffer and even die. So YES, you have a valid reason to PREP for bad times you see are coming. On the other hand, and to the second point, God has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness. Believe God and you will be saved. If you want to please God, you have to believe that He is, AND that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. This is a no-compromise requirement for all who want to please God. So live and prepare like you and yours will be here years to come, and at the same time be ready to go at any time. All this is appropriate and when done in faith, is pleasing to God.

The things you mention apply to the suffering also. We have been given what we need even if we are suffering. If even if our faith is attacked to the max, and our determination and we become weak. He is still faithful then when we can’t be. As far as prepping, I trust in the rapture or death which ever comes first. The apocalypse- I really don’t know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. This is one reason why we as Catholics still have Jesus on the Cross. He offers us an opportunity to unite our suffering with his and his with ours. Such suffering can draw us into deeper relationship with Him. It is not fun and it is not pretty. But it is reality.

Upvote 0

InThePottersChamber

Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
✟35,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SavedbyGrace, can you tell me more about curses?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The number one impediment in Christendom is complacency. Grace is a get of jail free card that enables inaction and excuse. With continued use you fall behind and diminish in influence and strength.

As for your second question, I'm reminded of a homesteader I enjoy. She's a believer and grew up in a Christian home. Although she was homeschooled most of her life she married early and didn't attend a Christian college. She's a millennial and the same holds true for her siblings. They're all settled.

One of the greatest consistencies in her content is togetherness. They're a village unto themselves and generously lend a hand to one another in times of need and just because. Suffice to say there's a lot of hands on deck which enables them to extend their benevolence because everything isn't on one person.

As a result, when I see her interactions with friends it's often in the form of blessing. A loving meal prepared with care for their enjoyment. Treats for workmen and colleagues without request. She has a lot to give because the well never runs dry. Her support network is united. Not only her loved ones but her spouse's too. They take care of one another. That's a family.

The average believer can't say the same. They've never encountered oneness on that scale. It's absent or fragments. They don't know how to love like that. Their wants and needs are foremost. They don't think as a unit. You can't build community on islands. Self-regard always wins.

Watching them is a blessing. Because love does. It's more than words and platitudes. With all the complaints of isolation and relational woes they're growing. They've unlocked the secret that alludes most. You can accomplish more together than alone and everyone has a part.

When she had her first child the family took turns feeding them. She prepared things in advance but they added more. Every night a different meal appeared from a family member. It allowed them to rest and focus on one another and the child. This went on for weeks.

That's sacrificial. That's putting another's needs above your own. She did the same for her sister and filled her freezer with a month of meals. That takes a lot of time and effort to pull together. But she loves her.

Now imagine the same beside you. She has a servant's heart and lives it everyday. Not in a bible study or small group. It's a way of life. That's why they're thriving.

A slack hand causes poverty, but the hand of the diligent makes rich.

~bella

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SavedbyGrace, can you tell me more about curses?

Good news is that Jesus has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made all of this in His passion, and nailing to the cross and killing it.

Galatians 3:13-14 KJV​
13. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us:
for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:​
14. That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ;
that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.​

Some suggest that these curses only pertain to the Jews, but Paul was pretty clear this falls upon Gentiles also:

Romans 2:8-11 KJV​
8. But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,​
9. Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;​
10. But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:​
11. For there is no respect of persons with God.

Jeremiah 16:18 KJV​
18. And first I will recompense their iniquity and their sin double; because they have defiled my land,
they have filled mine inheritance with the carcases of their detestable and abominable things.​

Hebrews 2:2 KJV​
2. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression
and disobedience received a just recompence of reward
;​

A very comprhensive list of curses:

Deuteronomy 28:15-68 KJV
15. But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:
16. Cursed shalt thou be in the city, and cursed shalt thou be in the field.
17. Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store.
18. Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
19. Cursed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and cursed shalt thou be when thou goest out.
20. The LORD shall send upon thee cursing, vexation, and rebuke, in all that thou settest thine hand unto for to do, until thou be destroyed, and until thou perish quickly; because of the wickedness of thy doings, whereby thou hast forsaken me.
21. The LORD shall make the pestilence cleave unto thee, until he have consumed thee from off the land, whither thou goest to possess it.
22. The LORD shall smite thee with a consumption, and with a fever, and with an inflammation, and with an extreme burning, and with the sword, and with blasting, and with mildew; and they shall pursue thee until thou perish.
23. And thy heaven that is over thy head shall be brass, and the earth that is under thee shall be iron.
24. The LORD shall make the rain of thy land powder and dust: from heaven shall it come down upon thee, until thou be destroyed.
25. The LORD shall cause thee to be smitten before thine enemies: thou shalt go out one way against them, and flee seven ways before them: and shalt be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.
26. And thy carcase shall be meat unto all fowls of the air, and unto the beasts of the earth, and no man shall fray them away.
27. The LORD will smite thee with the botch of Egypt, and with the emerods, and with the scab, and with the itch, whereof thou canst not be healed.
28. The LORD shall smite thee with madness, and blindness, and astonishment of heart:
29. And thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore, and no man shall save thee.
30. Thou shalt betroth a wife, and another man shall lie with her: thou shalt build an house, and thou shalt not dwell therein: thou shalt plant a vineyard, and shalt not gather the grapes thereof.
31. Thine ox shall be slain before thine eyes, and thou shalt not eat thereof: thine ass shall be violently taken away from before thy face, and shall not be restored to thee: thy sheep shall be given unto thine enemies, and thou shalt have none to rescue them.
32. Thy sons and thy daughters shall be given unto another people, and thine eyes shall look, and fail with longing for them all the day long: and there shall be no might in thine hand.
33. The fruit of thy land, and all thy labours, shall a nation which thou knowest not eat up; and thou shalt be only oppressed and crushed alway:
34. So that thou shalt be mad for the sight of thine eyes which thou shalt see.
35. The LORD shall smite thee in the knees, and in the legs, with a sore botch that cannot be healed, from the sole of thy foot unto the top of thy head.
36. The LORD shall bring thee, and thy king which thou shalt set over thee, unto a nation which neither thou nor thy fathers have known; and there shalt thou serve other gods, wood and stone.
37. And thou shalt become an astonishment, a proverb, and a byword, among all nations whither the LORD shall lead thee.
38. Thou shalt carry much seed out into the field, and shalt gather but little in; for the locust shall consume it.
39. Thou shalt plant vineyards, and dress them, but shalt neither drink of the wine, nor gather the grapes; for the worms shall eat them.
40. Thou shalt have olive trees throughout all thy coasts, but thou shalt not anoint thyself with the oil; for thine olive shall cast his fruit.
41. Thou shalt beget sons and daughters, but thou shalt not enjoy them; for they shall go into captivity.
42. All thy trees and fruit of thy land shall the locust consume.
43. The stranger that is within thee shall get up above thee very high; and thou shalt come down very low.
44. He shall lend to thee, and thou shalt not lend to him: he shall be the head, and thou shalt be the tail.
45. Moreover all these curses shall come upon thee, and shall pursue thee, and overtake thee, till thou be destroyed; because thou hearkenedst not unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which he commanded thee:
46. And they shall be upon thee for a sign and for a wonder, and upon thy seed for ever.
47. Because thou servedst not the LORD thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things;
48. Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.
49. The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation whose tongue thou shalt not understand;
50. A nation of fierce countenance, which shall not regard the person of the old, nor shew favour to the young:
51. And he shall eat the fruit of thy cattle, and the fruit of thy land, until thou be destroyed: which also shall not leave thee either corn, wine, or oil, or the increase of thy kine, or flocks of thy sheep, until he have destroyed thee.
52. And he shall besiege thee in all thy gates, until thy high and fenced walls come down, wherein thou trustedst, throughout all thy land: and he shall besiege thee in all thy gates throughout all thy land, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.
53. And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:
54. So that the man that is tender among you, and very delicate, his eye shall be evil toward his brother, and toward the wife of his bosom, and toward the remnant of his children which he shall leave:
55. So that he will not give to any of them of the flesh of his children whom he shall eat: because he hath nothing left him in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee in all thy gates.
56. The tender and delicate woman among you, which would not adventure to set the sole of her foot upon the ground for delicateness and tenderness, her eye shall be evil toward the husband of her bosom, and toward her son, and toward her daughter,
57. And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them for want of all things secretly in the siege and straitness, wherewith thine enemy shall distress thee in thy gates.
58. If thou wilt not observe to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that thou mayest fear this glorious and fearful name, THE LORD THY GOD;
59. Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance.
60. Moreover he will bring upon thee all the diseases of Egypt, which thou wast afraid of; and they shall cleave unto thee.
61. Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed.

65. And among these nations shalt thou find no ease, neither shall the sole of thy foot have rest: but the LORD shall give thee there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and sorrow of mind:
66. And thy life shall hang in doubt before thee; and thou shalt fear day and night, and shalt have none assurance of thy life:
67. In the morning thou shalt say, Would God it were even! and at even thou shalt say, Would God it were morning! for the fear of thine heart wherewith thou shalt fear, and for the sight of thine eyes which thou shalt see.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
hi

i want to ask,

Where in the Bible does God promise a trouble free life? Read about what Paul went through, and he was the greatest example of what a man of God should be. He said that no matter what state he found himself in, whether positive or negative, he was content in Christ. David was a man after God's own heart, yet look at the problems he had in his life. Read Hebrews 11 and see what some of the greatest men of faith had to endure. Read Foxe's Book of Martyrs and count yourself blessed that most of your problems are pale compared to what multitudes of Christian believers had to go through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
hi

i want to ask,

Ask Job. He wasn't such an exception as the church generally makes him out to be.

This life is not for this life. Our hope is not for here. Yet there is joy here too. You can pray for that dear lady, that she gets teaching that induces understanding of that joy. But God can do anything. And he always does what it takes to make us into what he uses us for there: members of the Body of Christ, The Bride of Christ, the Dwelling Place of God. This suffering seems long, but it is only for a time.

From Job 19:
25 I know that my redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why would God allow something like this to happen to some Christians? When he said in Jeremiah that He wants to give us a hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11 is often quoted, but read the verses in the chapter before and after it. It was a message from God to Judah after many had been taken to exile in Babylon. It's a reminder that God would be with their people even then rather than completely abandon them, but was still zealous for his name and they should not turn to false prophets. It's not a name-it, claim-it promise for a prosperous life for those in the Christian church.

I'm reminded of how my grandfather lost his mobility, then his continence, then his eyesight before he finally passed. He was a truly Godly man who had been active in service but then couldn't serve anymore. And when he lost his eyesight, he couldn't read anymore. Perhaps his great faith was being tested. Either way, I believe he is in Heaven now, and he doesn't have those problems anymore.

Some Christians are super hypocritical. They go on a long rant everytime you meet them and claim they don't like money, but when they see a rich man or if they see money you can see their mouths water and their faces shine. I don't get what's so wrong about wanting money. I don't think it's a trait that greed gives birth to. Money is a neccessity in today's world. If I want to buy the most expensive luxurious soap because it genuinely makes me feel good, improves my skin, not because i want to brag, i don't see how that is a sin. I find it really repulsive when people try to claim they are somebody they obviously aren't. Accept your flaws for goodness sake. You're not God. I feel it's narcissistic to hide a desire for wealth or/and fame. and it's manipulative. if you don't want something or don't want people to know you want something, then just don't bring it up altogether. Why do you need to manipulate me with long rants everytime we talk? It's so irritating. Why do you think they do this, and how do i stop being so irritated? I'm not judgemental. i love human nature, but i have several petpeeves and i cant stand it anymore. i think this isn't human nature. the only people who do it are very selfish, manipulative, jealous, arrogant, narc people. i hate these type of people.
Here's the thing, people are easily distracted by shiny objects. I've been inside of mansions, and I was impressed. But I'm not chasing that. I won't say that I don't like money or wouldn't appreciate a mansion or a luxury car, but there's another cost to that which I'd prefer to not pay. Money is a necessity, but that over the top stuff isn't. You mentioned soap. The most expensive soap that I could find is $2800 a bar. Nobody needs that. We can do a bit better than the cheapest of the cheap, but there comes a point where diminishing returns have been hit. Same with houses, cars, computer components, whatever.

And yes, there are the selfish, manipulative, jealous, arrogant people who love to hear themselves talk. That's annoying whatever they like to talk about, whether they are rich or poor. That's part of human nature, unfortunately. Wisdom for how and when to speak is in the Proverbs.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear InThePottersChamber,

You are absolutely right; the Bible offers hope for the future, but the big problem is that, generally speaking, Christians look at the Bible as containing a lot of symbolism, replacing faith with knowledge. The truth is that there is a lot of figurative speech in the Bible, but when it comes to the big issues, every form of writing has to be looked at seriously. For example, Apostle Paul says in Romans that we were slaves to sin. Think of the opposite for a second. If you are not a slave, you can do whatever you want. So the question becomes, “If someone lives in sin, does he live as a salve or a free person?” Read Romans chapters 5-8. All this to say that sometimes figues of speech have to be looked at differently; otherwise, there is not a lot to believe, and Christians live like the rest of the world.

Here is one suggestion which I hope to help. Do a study to see what the Bible says about hope and future, and then try to put everything together, keeping in mind that biblical figurative speech has a lot more meaning than regularly, and the biblical meaning is understood through faith. Allow time to understand what it says, and as much as you can, practice what the Bible says. Also, keep in mind that the Bible very often uses real life examples to explain certain things. If these examples do not seem relevant today, take some time to learn what these real life situations meant back then, think of examples which might be relevant today, and apply what the Bible says to today’s life—especially yours. In time, you will see that GOD offers hope through his Word.

I hope this helped somewhat, and I am praying for you.

Upvote 0

FPhelps

Sep 9, 2022
CHADSTONE
✟22,248.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
hi

i want to ask,

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
hi

i want to ask,

it is sad yes, i can attest to that. I'm going through a divorce and never deserved it. i have no explanation to answer you other than I will cling to Jesus who is faithful.

Upvote 0