Potential girlfriend affirms homosexuality, what to do, am I wrong?

alwayscurious

Mar 7, 2023
California
✟10,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I’m a third year college student and about six months ago I met this wonderful Christian girl who loves the Lord and loves people. She’s gone through some of the toughest health problems and some of the toughest family problems I’ve ever seen someone go through and she’s come out on top through all this. I’d like to take the next step in our relationship to care for her and ask her to be my girlfriend but there’s just one thing holding me back.

She believes that the Bible is silent when it comes to homosexuality. Now, I believe that being gay is not a sin, but engaging in sexual conduct is. However, I’m respectful and understanding of those who are part of the gay community. Growing up, she’s got some extended family members who are gay and are Christians that are married and are raising a kid. She sees no wrong in what they’re doing, which has shaped her views on this, to the point where the many ideas about the mistranslations of the “Clobber” passages are her central point of contention. I’ve tried to show her that even without considering verses, since the dawn of human beings, God specifically created each gender for the other, to be complimentary and to enjoy each other’s company/affection.

Although we differ on this matter, and what it could possibly mean down the road with potential marriage and children and how we raise them, she still wants to enter into a relationship with me, and I do as well, but this is making me think and pray about things a bit harder. She is quite literally the greatest woman I have ever met in my life. What would you do if you were in my case? Would you continue into dating or end things? Or am I completely wrong in my understanding?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No two people agree on everything. Some disagreements are minor -- you can respectfully agree to disagree -- and some disagreements are major, deal-breakers. You and she have to decide for yourselves which category this disagreement falls into. Do you feel that you could be in a relationship with a person who disagrees with you on this issue, or is agreement on this issue vitally important to you?

What I would do is different from what you should do, because my deal-breaker issues are different from yours. My husband and I belong to two different Christian denominations; we agree on some issues of theology and disagree on others, but our disagreements aren't deal-breakers. Look deeply within yourself and discern what the deal-breakers really are for you.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m a third year college student and about six months ago I met this wonderful Christian girl who loves the Lord and loves people. She’s gone through some of the toughest health problems and some of the toughest family problems I’ve ever seen someone go through and she’s come out on top through all this. I’d like to take the next step in our relationship to care for her and ask her to be my girlfriend but there’s just one thing holding me back.

She believes that the Bible is silent when it comes to homosexuality. Now, I believe that being gay is not a sin, but engaging in sexual conduct is. However, I’m respectful and understanding of those who are part of the gay community. Growing up, she’s got some extended family members who are gay and are Christians that are married and are raising a kid. She sees no wrong in what they’re doing, which has shaped her views on this, to the point where the many ideas about the mistranslations of the “Clobber” passages are her central point of contention. I’ve tried to show her that even without considering verses, since the dawn of human beings, God specifically created each gender for the other, to be complimentary and to enjoy each other’s company/affection.

Although we differ on this matter, and what it could possibly mean down the road with potential marriage and children and how we raise them, she still wants to enter into a relationship with me, and I do as well, but this is making me think and pray about things a bit harder. She is quite literally the greatest woman I have ever met in my life. What would you do if you were in my case? Would you continue into dating or end things? Or am I completely wrong in my understanding?

The question comes down to "Is she the ONLY great woman out there?" I'm pretty sure as to what the answer is.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It would be a deal-breaker for me. You’re absolutely right – it will affect how you raise kids. Consider how much society has changed on this issue even if you go only as far back as 8 years, especially in this issue in how it relates to kids. Do you put your foot down when the time comes, or should you just get it over with now? You’ll have to choose how to raise kids one way or the other & there won’t be a middle ground. It won’t be a topic you can be wishy-washy on.

I’m glad you found a good friend, but I would leave it at that. 2Philo nailed it. You’re still young.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟95,699.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would you do if you were in my case? Would you continue into dating or end things? Or am I completely wrong in my understanding
Yes, she is in the wrong but look how much you love her!

Can you really turn your back on her because of this? Are you confident you'll find someone else a little more perfect just around the corner?

Look at it this way, you probably think and believe things right now which Yahweh is against. What then, shall he cast you aside too as you may cast her aside? Wouldn't you want Yahweh to be patient with you in your understanding and growth? Extend that same grace to her and I'm sure He will.

Who knows, perhaps she will be convicted and believe the truth about homosexuality because of your presence in her life. So stay strong to the Word and don't compromise, but treat her peaceably and patiently (if she is as great as you say!) Hearts can change.

Peace.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand how the differing opinions of two straight people about homosexuality is going to adversely affect their marriage. What has that to do to the two of you, really? It seems like the only way it is a hazard is if one of you wants to practice it, and then that's a whole different problem about infidelity not who you are being unfaithful with. And, I disagree with the concern about its affecting how kids are raised. Parents aren't going to talk children into or out of "gay." Parents don't have all the power they think they have and sexual orientation just doesn't work that way.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

alwayscurious

Mar 7, 2023
California
✟10,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand how the differing opinions of two straight people about homosexuality is going to adversely affect their marriage. What has that to do to the two of you, really? It seems like the only way it is a hazard is if one of you wants to practice it, and then that's a whole different problem about infidelity not who you are being unfaithful with. And, I disagree with the concern about its affecting how kids are raised. Parents aren't going to talk children into or out of "gay." Parents don't have all the power they think they have and sexual orientation just doesn't work that way.
Well, my concern aside from potential children, is the fact that the Bible says those who don’t repent and turn away from such a lifestyle (similar to fornication, adultery, etc), won’t inherit the Kingdom of God. It’s quite a statement piece. If me and my future wife are talking to new believers who are in a gay relationship, either we stress the fact that what they’re doing is blessed by God, or is not blessed by God. And this can impact their Christian life as well as their physical health, and we’ll all have to answer to God at the judgement seat for how we have influenced others (both believers and non) but especially other believers….

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Techo

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Satan uses the 'cracks' between a couple within a marriage to get in and corrupt either the marriage and/or the children. If a couple are not united with each other about what they believe and how to deal with certain matters then, where they are not, there will be issues that arise to test that relationship.

The LBG...xyz issue is a major one. If we, as Christians, buy into it we let the world's philosophy in and, before we realize it, our whole concept of Godliness is compromised.

There was a bloke down here who was senior minister of a large fellowship. His wife ate from the tree... oh... sorry... wrong story... spoke out in support of a certain group within our society. This created major concerns amongst the congregation. Her husband expressed support for her in his address to the Church. It was not that long afterwards that he resigned (was asked to leave?... I don't know) from that leadership.

Actually... maybe eating of the tree reference was not a mistake. When we rely on our concepts of good and evil we are eating of the tree of knowledge again and again. I suspect it comes down to getting to know God and what are His attitudes towards these matters. Just can't help thinking about what happened to a couple of towns in the Jordan Valley in Abraham's time... oh... and wonder what was in the heart of that wife to make her look back at those towns.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The issue w/ raising kids isn't 'one might want to turn them gay, the other wouldn't', although it appears that sometimes is an issue. The issue is how do you teach the concept? His girlfriend would teach it gay people are doing nothing wrong, that's how God made them. OP would teach it it's a sin & no one should be doing it just like any other sin. I suppose at best they could teach it 'you can decide on your own' but I would offer this: that's all the more reason you should teach them one way or the other, because they will be influenced by everyone so you might as well put your foot down & teach them what you believe. If you don't teach them, someone else will.

i Ihink this is a very serious issue. It's not about what kind of movies you like or what do you like to do, an opinion of a small consequence. This is a topic like finances. It's not just an opinion you 2 have different thoughts on, it's an issue you have to take a stand on one way or the other.

Look how much this topic comes up these days. It's not something that can just be brushed aside. It's a main issue these days, even among children (maybe especially among children)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
toughest health problems and some of the toughest family problems I’ve ever seen someone go through and she’s come out on top through all this. I’d like to take the next step in our relationship to care for her and ask her to be my girlfriend but there’s just one thing holding me back.
That is red flag to me that she has had health issues. Do you mean she wants an open relationship so she can play around. Which means diseases that you could catch from her. Also are you prepared to be a caregiver to help her through her health issues? Or are you just there for the good times but gone when she gets sick and really needs someone to be there for her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alwayscurious

Mar 7, 2023
California
✟10,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That is red flag to me that she has had health issues. Do you mean she wants an open relationship so she can play around. Which means diseases that you could catch from her. Also are you prepared to be a caregiver to help her through her health issues? Or are you just there for the good times but gone when she gets sick and really needs someone to be there for her.
I don't even know how you can come up with those far-fetched ideas... no she has had genuine health problems but that aren't mine to share, and no she doesn't sleep around. What kind of hoops do you jump through to assume all that?

• Agree
Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, my concern aside from potential children, is the fact that the Bible says those who don’t repent and turn away from such a lifestyle (similar to fornication, adultery, etc), won’t inherit the Kingdom of God. It’s quite a statement piece. If me and my future wife are talking to new believers who are in a gay relationship, either we stress the fact that what they’re doing is blessed by God, or is not blessed by God. And this can impact their Christian life as well as their physical health, and we’ll all have to answer to God at the judgement seat for how we have influenced others (both believers and non) but especially other believers….

When the Bible says that certain people won't inherit the Kingdom of God, it is talking about non-believers. Believers inherit the Kingdom of God because they are saved by Jesus and He never revokes His promises.

The Bible is clear about homosexuality. Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable."

Any sin, when nurtured, is disastrous to ourselves and others around us. God does not like this.

You both need to change your minds about homosexuality. Repent and ask Jesus for forgiveness.

• Agree
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't even know how you can come up with those far-fetched ideas

What kind of hoops do you jump through to assume all that?
It is a fact of life that anyone sexually active has to deal with STDs and diseases.
I asked questions that you do not seem happy with, so I will not ask anymore.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
When the Bible says that certain people won't inherit the Kingdom of God,
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 states, "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers, nor men who have sex with men nor thieves, nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

While these passages describe behaviors or attitudes that are sinful, they do not necessarily mean that people who struggle with these issues will be completely excluded from the Kingdom of God. The Bible teaches that salvation is based on faith in Jesus Christ and his sacrifice on the cross, and that forgiveness and transformation are available to all who turn to him in repentance and faith.

I have friends and pastors die from aids and I had no idea that there was sin in their life. It was a surprise. They struggle just like we all struggle in life. If we condemn people they may not feel worthy of the Grace of God. The Bible clearly says, whosoever is willing let them come. Jesus died at Calvery for sinners. So we can be rescued, saved, healed, redeemed and delivered when we put our faith in God.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What is love when it comes to finding a mate. Is it agreement on all issues or even just major issue. NO.
The great thing about marriage is that it challenges us to look beyond or own self, to be generous , patient and kind.
Do you think that will be easy? you will challenge each other and help each other to grow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Homosexuality is not natural. It is the result of humanity rejecting God (Romans chapter 1). I've read the propaganda from the gay movement and it does not add up. It is not the unpardonable sin, however, it does disqualify the person from entering the kingdom of God. Is it possible to be saved and yet not be in the Kingdom of God? Yes.

You run the risk of this woman finding another woman and entering into a relationship with her. I had a Christian friend who helped me a lot early in my life. I did not realise it at the time, but he was gay. He left Australia, married, went to Bible College and had his own business. For some reason (I'd lost contact by then) he backslid. He went back to his previous lifestyle, contracted AIDS and died of it. I found this out from a mutual friend. Mike repented of his sin and was restored. That's wonderful, but he left behind a widow and two children.

Reactions: Merrill
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That's a deal breaker. If she believes that, she is not wonderful. I'm sorry that she is the greatest woman you've met in your life, because that's a statement on every other woman in your life, including your own mother.

She needs to have the same moral convictions on this as you. If she changes them for you, that won't necessarily last.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Techo

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Alwayscurious,
I've already made comment on the matter but I've been thinking and praying about this so perhaps I should make some further observation.

You've said:
"...there’s just one thing holding me back."

This could be the Holy Spirit. He will speak into our heart and draw us towards what is God's plan and purpose for our life. To take a wife is a major step in our Christian walk and this, obviously, is where such a relationship would be going if she becomes your girl friend. The things that divide you now will tear you apart in the future if they are not resolved before you marry. There is enough 'baggage' we carry into a marriage that we do not realize we are carrying without taking on the obvious stuff as well.

We all have the world's view in how we think and behave to a greater or lesser degree (as can be seen from the posts in this thread) but we need to have the mind of Christ and learn to do what is His will for us. This is the work of the Holy Spirit in us. The world will tell us that we must love everyone and accept who they are and how they behave. We do love everyone else but that does not mean we must accept how they behave. If that's what all Christians did did then there would be nothing calling us back to repentance when ever we do something that is less than God's perfect plan and purpose for our lives (i.e. another Christian would be unable to speak into our life). There is the tendency, especially in women, to want to defend their family and sometimes this even extends to the point where they will try to rationalize actions that are not acceptable... even in polite society... much less our current one (which is becoming much more liberal in it's views about sexual choices).

About marriage! It is, essentially, a commitment to one another to love and care for each other. Love will not protect a marriage but marriage will protect the love. We should not be going into such a relationship for what we may get in that relationship but for what we can give into that relationship. The person that marries someone because they are gorgeous/hansom or because of how that person makes them feel etc may well, somewhere down the track, find someone else who does a much better job in those departments. In the beginning God commissioned Adam to tend and guard the garden. Eve was create from his side and brought to him as helper. The pattern, therefore, is for a wife to support the work and calling of her husband. Abraham called Sarah his sister (which, technically, she was, a step-sister) but so did Isaac with Rebekah and this is part of the relationship between husband and wife. She is to us a sister and, as such, contributes to the relationship that which she hears from the Lord but... the husband is Priest of the Most High God in that family. When a final decision must be made on a matter he is accountable to God for their actions. So, in my understanding of Christian marriage, this is why Christian wives 'submit' to their husbands... to do otherwise could bring their husband under the judgement of God. To this end it is absolutely essential that they be of one heart and mind. This may mean that a man may need to hear from his sister/wife what God is saying to them and change his understanding of a matter but, if God has put into the man's heart a understanding or direction about that matter, then it is something that wife will have to stand by him in. She must do it whole heartedly and not as a concession. No "I told you so!" even if she proves to be right. She must trust that whatever happens her husband and the Lord have it all in hand. It's a tough gig for a girl but that's where it's at.

I'm getting the impression from biblical accounts that marriage is not the formal wedding ceremony (e.g. Jacob 'went into his wife' and they were therefor married). It seems also, to me, that the seal or completion of a marriage was the birth of a child. God told Adam and Eve to be 'fruitful and multiply' so this is an important part of being married. It is a joining of two to bring forth another who is a part of each of them. God has set this in place but it is only, ever, something that can happen between man and woman. It is unfortunate where some marriages are barren and this aspect of marriage may not be fulfilled but this should be the hope in marriage. This is why I am unconvinced that marriage, in a Christian sense, is valid between anyone other than man and woman. Within worldly values it is merely a contract to provide validity to an inheritance should one or the other die.

I wish I'd met a "wonderful Christian girl who loves the Lord and loves people" when I was in the later years of college. I probably would not have sought advice about the relationship and just rushed into something with her so I am impressed that you thought to come to this forum to get another view on the matter. You should also be talking to those who have charge of the body of Christ, the church ministry and eldership, where you are because this is what it is to be a Christian. It means to be relational with our brethren in Christ. As it was, the girl, in secondary school, I was so afraid of swearing my undying love to that I could never talk to, gave me so much ice when I finally got the chance to, maybe, talk to her at College Christian Fellowship conference that I was frozen in mid-greeting. (I found out later she was in a same sex relationship... so disappointing). Then, 10 years later, I was swept off my feet by another girl into a marriage that last only long enough for her to have a legitimate son. We had no marriage guidance back then and the issues that should have been 'deal breakers', or at least resolved, were never discussed. It is so very, very important to sit down within the one you maybe love and someone wise to work through the things where the two of you will have a falling out. Even when I did meet my "wonderful Christian girl" then went through all the steps to determine if we were really compatible and meant for each other I was still... how can I put it politely?... poorly equipped? at being husband to her.

"She sees no wrong in what they’re doing, which has shaped her views on this, to the point where the many ideas about the mistranslations of the “Clobber” passages are her central point of contention."

If you were to marry her there would need to be a major change in how you relate. You could be absolutely compatible with each other. You could be completely meant for each other. You could be madly in love... totally crazy about each other... even unable to keep your hands off each other but... in the end... you have to have a complete trust in each other... you have to know that whatever happens you will both do what is best for the other to the point that what you would want for yourself you would give to them. This is not to say that what God says or requires of you would be sacrificed for them. God trumps all other things but, after that, the love of your life takes precedence. Will she trust you in what you have to bring in your relationship with God and the the Word of Life that He has place in your life? If she cannot... if she will not... then you have to consider "What are you doing pursuing a love that cannot make that commitment to you"?

The bible is not silent about relationship between people of the same sex but people will tend to ignore or attempt to change what is written in the book to suit their own desires. Studies in Greek and Hebrew could go into great depths on the subject but people will choose not to hear.

"...Now, I believe that being gay is not a sin, but engaging in sexual conduct is. However, I’m respectful and understanding of those who are part of the gay community."

I'm not certain but in making this sort of statement it may indicate that you may even have a touch of the world's teachings of the subject... to a degree. Perhaps I also have some... how can we know... except the Word of God, and our brethren, reveals it to us. It is so difficult to get away from operating out of the mental channel produced by the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Even writing this could be attributed to that source.

Sorry this is such a long treatise. It's just that this is such an important matter I hope to provide maybe just a little more clarity. To address the issues completely would take a whole book... and this place is not really adequate for that.

Upvote 0

Techo

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
An afterthought.
You need to be totally honest with your friend about everything... all your concerns... all your secrets all the things that, when they come to the surface, will bring fractures to the relationship. If you secretly pig out on chocolate... if you'd spent years in Juvenile Detention for robbing liquor stores... if you are (for us Aussies) secretly a... (shudder)... Collingwood Supporter... or worse of all... a.... a... (there's just no other way of saying it)... a... nudist:astonished: well... you have to tell her. She needs to know. You probably should even let her read this thread so she can see your concern and the reactions/advice (as good or bad as they may be) of the other, loving, concerned brethren here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to add my story here.

A few years ago I fell for a man who was agnostic. I tried and tried to convince him to convert to Christianity, but it didn't happen (and as far as I know, he still hasn't converted). I didn't date him, because he wasn't Christian, and eventually we had less contact, and then I ended up blocking him. But I loved him, and that whole "break up" event hurt really bad.

But that questioning you're having right now? Imagine waiting and finding someone who you don't have to ask heavy questions about. Granted, if you've been on this forum enough, you'll know that I have a TON of questions about my current boyfriend; I have OCD and I come to the internet for answers. But what I can also tell you about my bf, that's different from the first guy I mentioned, is that my boyfriend is a Christian, he's conservative, he fights against the filth in this world as best he can, and he almost always turns my attention back to God whenever I have some kind of a problem. We disagree on some things, and who knows, maybe they'll end up being deal-breakers. BUT. He does not affirm the LGBT lifestyle. It's a comfort to know that on some big, major issues, I know we're on the same page.

So I can tell you, from experience, it's not worth the mental gymnastics. It will hurt denying yourself here, but God is with you, and you have the kind souls on this forum to talk to also. And if you wait--I'm not saying God WILL provide a wife for you, but if he does, it will be soooo worth it to have waited for a solid Christian woman.

You're young, too. I know you probably hear that a lot, but I didn't start dating till I was 27. And I still have time to figure things out. You'll be okay.

Your most important job in life is to be a Christian. Wife, kids, house, job--they are not as important as that. Don't sacrifice your faith for anything.

You got this.

Upvote 0