• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured How large will the New Heavens and the New Earth be?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Neostarwcc, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc Eternal life is a free gift. Amen. Supporter

+2,258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Not to mention leave the city. I doubt we will spend our entire eternities in the New Jerusalem. I also doubt the New Jerusalem will be the ONLY city because Isaiah says in Isaiah 65:21 that we will build houses and plant vineyards on the New Earth. How can we do that when the New Jerusalem was built by God? So there must be other cities on the New Earth built by man and we must spend our eternities outside the New Jerusalem as well.

2. Neostarwcc

+2,258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So we will float to our destinations? o_O.

3. Sorn

Sorn Active Member

+100
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I will be driving my Lamborghini.

4. Neostarwcc

+2,258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Ferrari for me please!

5. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,295
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    In the space above the new earth, we will be able to flow, or we can walk, and whatever else. Jesus in His resurrection body was able to rise to the cloud which received Him. So, like Jesus we will be able to rise above the earth and move to wherever we go.

There might not be any destinations, by the way. But we will keep on discovering where God takes us.

6. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 En cuanto lo hicisteis a uno de estos mis hermanos Supporter

+9,328
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Obviously, the imagery in Revelation is symbolic. Otherwise we end up with these sorts of absurdities.

The overly realized interpretation I have seen among some millenialists reminds me of the chiliastic controversy/heresy in the early church. But it was generally abandoned in favor of Augustine's, and other fathers', spiritual interpretation of Revelation.

The New Jerusalem is the Church.

Where else does this sort of imagery appear in Scriptures?

The "many rooms" is a reference to the bridal imagery frequently used in the Scriptures, and the basis for much of the bridal mysticism traditionally found in Christian liturgy and devotion. The "bride" refers to the Church as the bride of Christ.

BTW, the "no more sea" represents the destruction of chaos and evil, since the sea is connected with chaos in semitic and near-eastern religious symbolism.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  7. Neostarwcc

+2,258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So we will be able to fly? Awesome! I guess when Jesus said we will become like the angels he meant it. But that would be awesome to be able to fly.