How large will the New Heavens and the New Earth be?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Obviously for a capital city that's almost as large as the United States to exist the New Earth must be VERY large and much larger than the Earth we have and live on now. After all when John saw the new Jerusalem he saw that it was 12,000 stadia by 12,000 stadia or 1,500 miles.

So for such a large capital city the New Earth must be huge! Especially when there likely would be other cities on the New Earth the New Jerusalem will just be the capital city. How exactly will we be traveling through such a large Earth? Do you think cars and airplanes will exist? It would take an eternity just to walk that far and explore the many wonders of the New Heaven and the New Earth without modern technology.

Not to mention the exploration of the New Heavens. So just how large IS the New Earth? It has to be larger than the Earth we have now but just how much larger?

Last edited:

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Obviously for a capital city that's larger than the United States to exist the New Earth must be VERY large and much larger than the Earth we have and live on now. After all when John saw the new Jerusalem he saw that it was 12,000 stadia by 12,000 stadia or 1380 miles by 1380 miles!

So for such a large capital city the New Earth must be huge! Especially when there likely would be other cities on the New Earth the New Jerusalem will just be the capital city. How exactly will we be traveling through such a large Earth? Do you think cars and airplanes will exist? It would take an eternity just to walk that far and explore the many wonders of the New Heaven and the New Earth without modern technology.

Not to mention the exploration of the New Heavens. So just how large IS the New Earth? It has to be larger than the Earth we have now but just how much larger?
Remember that the oceans are going to be gone as well, so there will be more land mass available for the saved nations to live in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After all when John saw the new Jerusalem he saw that it was 12,000 stadia by 12,000 stadia or 1380 miles by 1380 miles!

The capital city is actually a 1500 mile cube. I know some translations put it at 1380 but it seems 1500 is closer to the size. And that is not only land area, but straight up as well. To give proportion to that, the orbit of the International space station is only 240 miles high, and the Hubble telescope orbits at 353 miles.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. So just how large IS the New Earth? It has to be larger than the Earth we have now but just how much larger?
There is no indication whatsoever of how big that is. We do not know. And that is ok. There will be room aplenty for all of us. :)

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Remember that the oceans are going to be gone as well, so there will be more land mass available for the saved nations to live in.

Are they? So not only will there be no sun and moon there will be no oceans as well? Do you think we would miss such things? I mean there will be no night so there would probably be no need to sleep either. So we would have all day to explore and live and worship God. But I think I might miss the beauty of oceans. Idk.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There is no indication whatsoever of how big that is. We do not know. And that is ok. There will be room aplenty for all of us. :)

That's true. I just figured we could speculate just how large it is.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The capital city is actually a 1500 mile cube. I know some translations put it at 1380 but it seems 1500 is closer to the size. And that is not only land area, but straight up as well. To give proportion to that, the orbit of the International space station is only 240 miles high, and the Hubble telescope orbits at 353 miles.

I didn't know that some translations have it different. I thought all translations said 12,000 stadia by 12,000 stadia. I'll fix it thanks.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are they? So not only will there be no sun and moon there will be no oceans as well? Do you think we would miss such things? I mean there will be no night so there would probably be no need to sleep either. So we would have all day to explore and live and worship God. But I think I might miss the beauty of oceans. Idk.
The oceans are beautiful, but they stink, and taste really bad. I personally won't miss them. Not to mention, we'll be living in the light of the glory of God, who will be our light. Because of that, I don't think we'll miss anything that was from the previous earth ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The oceans are beautiful, but they stink, and taste really bad. I personally won't miss them. Not to mention, we'll be living in the light of the glory of God, who will be our light. Because of that, I don't think we'll miss anything that was from the previous earth ;)

But couldn't God take away the imperfections of the oceans? I mean I can see why he would remove them but... Idk... You're probably right and I wouldn't miss anything from this life if it wasn't made available in the next. And the things we do miss would probably be provided for us.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought all translations said 12,000 stadia by 12,000 stadia. I'll fix it thanks.
I think the stadia is correct. But as to how that translates into miles is the difference.

My bad. I should have done a check before writing. The 1380 is in Nautical miles and the 1500 is in Statute (land) miles.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think the stadia is correct. But as to how that translates into miles is the difference.

My bad. I should have done a check before writing. The 1380 is in Nautical miles and the 1500 is in Statute (land) miles.

Well statute miles was what I was going for so I fixed it. Thanks for the clarification.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a physical impossibility. No physical structure could be so high. And how would light get to the center?

How big is Heaven? How big does it have to be to fit 100 million angels and billions of saints? I don't think physics is relevant at all to the new world.
Water is the basis for our physical life. Humans are 60% water. I think there is something significant about the fact that there will be no water in the new world.

I think we will have spiritual bodies as said in
1 Corinthians 15:44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a physical impossibility. No physical structure could be so high. And how would light get to the center?
Believe the text or not, that is what it says.

And remember this verse?

Revelation 22:5
And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them; and they will reign forever and ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believe the text or not, that is what it says.
It is not a matter of believing it or not. The question much asked about the many visions in Revelation, are they literal or symbolic. I think the grandiose description symbolizes an unimaginably beautiful paradise, not a literal city 1500 miles high and yet clear as crystal. Imagine a mountain higher than a 1500 mile high city on a planet that is the only one in the universe with no moon or sun or stars or water. A great mountain over 1500 miles high would upset the rotation of the planet if it did rotate. No atmosphere could exist that far out, so the new man would live without water, air and food. Can you really think them human then? And a city 1500 miles across and you could see through it? Even if it was made of glass all the people in it would obstruct the view unless they were see through. If people were physical, with mass, the gravity would be vastly different depending on where you were in the cube.

So while I don't take the description literal, I think about what it wants to convey. It will be great, shiny and beautiful. The physics are an impossibility for our kind of physical world, so I think the new world does not have the physics of our world.

10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal.

18 The wall was built of jasper, while the city was pure gold, like clear glass. 19 The foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with every kind of jewel. The first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. 21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And remember this verse?

Revelation 22:5
And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them; and they will reign forever and ever.
If people lived on this planet, half would have light all the time and the other half would have none. Do you think hell would be on the other side?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How exactly will we be traveling through such a large Earth?
After we are resurrected our bodies will not be subject to the physical laws we have now. We will be like Jesus resurrected who was able to appear in the locked room with the disciples and move up to be received in the cloud, in Acts chapter one.

Read and feed on all our Apostle Paul says about how our bodies will be, once resurrected > 1 Corinthians 15.

Do you think cars and airplanes will exist?
As you can see from what I offer above, there will be no need.

Also, our Apostle Peter says "both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up." (in 2 Peter 3:10) So, airplanes and cars will be burned, in the day of the LORD. I personally think this means God will resurrect the whole earth. He will be the almighty fire > Hebrews 12:29 < who resurrectionally melts our bodies and the earth from which our bodies were made, all "into the glorious liberty of the children of God." (please see Romans 8:21)

And all then will be in the resurrectional quality that we are in >

"the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God." (in Romans 8:21)

It would take an eternity just to walk that far and explore the many wonders of the New Heaven and the New Earth without modern technology.

So just how large IS the New Earth? It has to be larger than the Earth we have now but just how much larger?
The main wonder will be God's love in us, and how we are like Jesus in this love. And already we have begun to experience this >

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

And Jesus and our brothers and sisters who are like Jesus will be so wondrous, and for sharing with personally as family. But yes, I agree that God can have us enjoying whatever He pleases. But within every one of us will be "all the fullness of God" (please see and feed on Ephesians 3:19).

Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It is not a matter of believing it or not. The question much asked about the many visions in Revelation, are they literal or symbolic. I think the grandiose description symbolizes an unimaginably beautiful paradise, not a literal city 1500 miles high and yet clear as crystal. Imagine a mountain higher than a 1500 mile high city on a planet that is the only one in the universe with no moon or sun or stars or water. A great mountain over 1500 miles high would upset the rotation of the planet if it did rotate. No atmosphere could exist that far out, so the new man would live without water, air and food. Can you really think them human then? And a city 1500 miles across and you could see through it? Even if it was made of glass all the people in it would obstruct the view unless they were see through. If people were physical, with mass, the gravity would be vastly different depending on where you were in the cube.

So while I don't take the description literal, I think about what it wants to convey. It will be great, shiny and beautiful. The physics are an impossibility for our kind of physical world, so I think the new world does not have the physics of our world.

10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal.

18 The wall was built of jasper, while the city was pure gold, like clear glass. 19 The foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with every kind of jewel. The first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. 21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass.

I think the book of revelation and parts of what John saw were symbolic. Like when Jesus became a lamb to unfold the seals and whatnot. And I believe parts of revelation are not symbolic like for example what Jesus looked like, what the capital city of New Jerusalem looks like, how big New Jerusalem is ...etc. I believe John saw the Capital city literally as it is and tried to describe it for us as best as he could. I don't think even John himself believed that some of the things he witnessed was impossible. But then again with God anything is possible.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
After we are resurrected our bodies will not be subject to the physical laws we have now. We will be like Jesus resurrected who was able to appear in the locked room with the disciples and move up to be received in the cloud, in Acts chapter one.

Read and feed on all our Apostle Paul says about how our bodies will be, once resurrected > 1 Corinthians 15.

As you can see from what I offer above, there will be no need.

Also, our Apostle Peter says "both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up." (in 2 Peter 3:10) So, airplanes and cars will be burned, in the day of the LORD. I personally think this means God will resurrect the whole earth. He will be the almighty fire > Hebrews 12:29 < who resurrectionally melts our bodies and the earth from which our bodies were made, all "into the glorious liberty of the children of God." (please see Romans 8:21)

And all then will be in the resurrectional quality that we are in >

"the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God." (in Romans 8:21)

The main wonder will be God's love in us, and how we are like Jesus in this love. And already we have begun to experience this >

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

And Jesus and our brothers and sisters who are like Jesus will be so wondrous, and for sharing with personally as family. But yes, I agree that God can have us enjoying whatever He pleases. But within every one of us will be "all the fullness of God" (please see and feed on Ephesians 3:19).

So we would be able to walk hundreds of miles in no time at all? Interesting. I've heard that our new glorified bodies would be made perfect like that but never really believed it.

Upvote 0