SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
How Does Online Racism Spawn Mass Shooters?
Two mass shootings rocked the United States again this weekend, the first in El Paso, Texas, on Saturday, the second on Sunday in Dayton, Ohio. Both killers were young white men, and while the ideology behind the Dayton attack is not yet known, the El Paso shooter posted an online manifesto espousing his racist ideology on the far-right website 8chan—as did the attackers in Christchurch, New Zealand, in March and at the Poway synagogue, north of San Diego, in April. Other mass shootings—such as the recent Gilroy Garlic Festival attack, the Pittsburgh synagogue murders in 2018, and the church killings in Charleston, South Carolina, in 2015—have also been inspired by white nationalist ideas.

Experts, joined by some politicians, are increasingly classifying these acts as terrorism, part of a global white nationalist movement that recruits or inspires potential shooters.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I guess I can write off "Explainer" as garbage since those investigating Gilroy have said openly they have no idea what the ideology of the shooter was.
If it turns out that shooter was inspired by white nationalist ideology, will you praise Explainer for their predictive capabilities?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Lol no. They reported false information.
So what are you saying? That if someone makes a claim, that they can't use evidence that comes out after they made the claim to support it? That evidence doesn't just prove they were right all along?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So what are you saying?

They made a claim and based on all available evidence at the time they made it....it's false.

At best, if some evidence supports it, we could say they took a wild guess and got lucky....but I wouldn't call that responsible reporting.

I'd call that garbage.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
They made a claim and based on all available evidence at the time they made it....it's false.

At best, if some evidence supports it, we could say they took a wild guess and got lucky....but I wouldn't call that responsible reporting.

I'd call that garbage.
I agree. This was just a dig on your shifting standard of evidence. We had this exact discussion in reverse (I'm sure you forgot) where the only evidence you gave me came out months after you made your claim and then told me to praise your predictive abilities. I believe it was your thread about Ice Cube's Hollywood star. I won't derail this thread anymore, just thought that was funny.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I agree. This was just a dig on your shifting standard of evidence. We had this exact discussion in reverse (I'm sure you forgot) where the only evidence you gave me came out months after you made your claim and then told me to praise your predictive abilities. I believe it was your thread about Ice Cube's Hollywood star. I won't derail this thread anymore, just thought that was funny.

I remember the conversation....but not the details.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Heavy.com has screen-caps of much of the Dayton Shooter's Twitter account, as the account itself has since been suspended.

The Dayton shooter... was a self-avowed leftist, such that he even had both that and his preferred pronouns in his profile.

Either he was extremely left-wing given the content of his Twitter account, or he was a predator who used the left's "us vs. them" mentality against them to infiltrate them.

Additionally, it's now known that when he was a teenager he got in trouble as he had a list of classmates to kill and may have also had a list of female classmates he wanted to rape.

Given that his sister and her boyfriend are suspected of being his primary targets, there is now speculation that he either wanted his sister sexually and took her out because he couldn't have her that way or that what he did was left-wing terrorism.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Given that his sister and her boyfriend are suspected of being his primary targets, there is now speculation that he either wanted his sister sexually and took her out because he couldn't have her that way or that what he did was left-wing terrorism.
That could certainly be the case, but we know that right-wing terrorism with a foundation in white supremacy is a broader issue, the FBI understands this, but we need to more robustly address white supremacy in the US.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
That could certainly be the case, but we know that right-wing terrorism with a foundation in white supremacy is a broader issue, the FBI understands this, but we need to more robustly address white supremacy in the US.

Left-wing groups like Antifa have been *trying* to rack up the same body count as right-wing groups, but their lack of success appears to be due more to incompetence than anything else. But even then, they've still left large numbers of seriously injured people in their wake along with the massive amounts of property damage.

So yeah... if we want to stop hate, it might be an idea to not ignore hate on the side you agree with.

Reactions: INeedGrace
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Left-wing groups like Antifa have been *trying* to rack up the same body count as right-wing groups, but their lack of success appears to be due more to incompetence than anything else. But even then, they've still left large numbers of seriously injured people in their wake along with the massive amounts of property damage.

So yeah... if we want to stop hate, it might be an idea to not ignore hate on the side you agree with.
If you want to derail this thread, please don't. Go ahead and start your antifa terrorism thread with extensive evidence that connects their online presence to murders and terrorist attacks across the country.

And I didn't know racism had a side... but okay, if you want to stick them in your camp. Right-wing extremism does not mean they're Republican, it simply means they're right-wing and many of these groups have racism as their foundation.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
If you want to derail this thread, please don't. Go ahead and start your antifa terrorism thread with extensive evidence that connects their online presence to murders and terrorist attacks across the country.

And I didn't know racism had a side... but okay, if you want to stick them in your camp. Right-wing extremism does not mean they're Republican, it simply means they're right-wing and many of these groups have racism as their foundation.

The article in your OP tried to use "guilt by association" to at least imply that it was another white supremacist shooting.

In reality, the Dayton shooter was a self-declared leftist whose motives may have something to do with targeting his own sister and those around her.

How is it a derail to correct that?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The article in your OP tried to use "guilt by association" to at least imply that it was another white supremacist shooting.

In reality, the Dayton shooter was a self-declared leftist whose motives may have something to do with targeting his own sister and those around her.

How is it a derail to correct that?
You saw what I wrote, stay on topic. Thanks.

Upvote 0