Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
My family was traumatized by a shooting at my sister's school. We moved to Canada in huge part bc doing so gave her so much peace due to there being far far far fewer incidents of school shootings. The boy who did the shooting was major popular, had literally just won a popularity contest so it wasn't due to him having been bullied or anything of that sort. We don't know why exactly he was so filled w hate.

I feel awful for every single person who lost a loved one during this attack, every single person there & impacted.

This was different bc it wasn't at a school it was out in public. The racist far-right shooter targeted Middle Easterners. He hunted down human beings. Then he went home where he lived with his mom - he was in his 40s - and murdered her, then killed himself. What an evil coward!

I think what Chancellor Merkel said is very true. "Racism is a poison. Hate is a poison and this poison exists in our society and is already to blame for many crimes."

So much of the hate is grown online. On underground chatrooms where they even encourage horrible hateful stuff like this & make up misinformation & conspiracy theories. As an example one of the stupidest conspiracy theories that was made up after the El Paso massacre last August was that white nationalist online groups claimed that the shooter wasn't white when he obviously & clearly was. He was also a right-wing extremist who also hunted down innocent human beings.

I really really hope things get better for our generation. I fear it'll get worse.

WDSobieski

Remember you're still loved!
Mar 25, 2020
Hessen
✟26,485.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I live roughly an hour away from Hanau and when I read the news the morning after the tragedy, I was completely heartbroken why people run amok killing innocent people just because they... just grew up in different cultures. One of the victim, who was ethnic German and waiting for a pizza was also killed. As police investigations continued on many realised the murderer was not only far right, but also a mentally unstable person with lots of very sick thoughts.

Just days ago the far right fraction of the already very right wing AfD was under observation and it later got dissolved. Not gonna lie about the position of AfD since I've read both election programmes and analysed the rhetoric of AfD and the explicitly neonazi NPD, their ideologies are disturbingly similar which the AfD is simply NPD with a friendlier mask, and don't forget some leading figures have trivialised the brutality of the Nazi era. If far right ideologies continue infiltrating into the social mainstream (their targets also include the mainstream moderates), it would be a disaster for many.

Upvote 0