How do you apply the Sabbath Day in the modern busy world?...

OutOfPlace_Christian

Jun 4, 2016
South Africa
✟19,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi :) Can someone (or people) help me understand how to apply the Sabbath day in today's busy world? And on which day of the week is it? Saturday or Sunday? I really want to understand this concept and very important commandment but I do not know how we are supposed to have an ENTIRE day of "rest" (and personal time with God?) when we will probably most definitely be required to do some sort of "work". :/

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The great champion of the Sabbath, the SDA church, tells you only half of the story - keep one day in seven, but they leave out the work six days part. I take the principle, rather than the sundown-to-sundown commandment, so I take time to relax, think, meditate, study my Bible and so on. Possibly the most important thing is to keep your Sabbath from being a Rumspringa...

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi :) Can someone (or people) help me understand how to apply the Sabbath day in today's busy world? And on which day of the week is it? Saturday or Sunday? I really want to understand this concept and very important commandment but I do not know how we are supposed to have an ENTIRE day of "rest" (and personal time with God?) when we will probably most definitely be required to do some sort of "work". :/

I have understood it is Saturday. And I have understood it means, we should not do our work at that day. But it doesn’t mean for example that we are not allowed to do good, for example help if someone needs help.

Also good thing is to notice, it is not the conditions for eternal life. But if you love God, keep His commandments.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
the true rest is to not be carnally minded but spiritually minded. God is rest. each day should be with God.

Yes. Few if any are. Doesn't matter if someone honors God's chosen set apart day or not,
if they don't ever honor God .

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's Saturday, the original 7th day.
The Sunday thing was created by men who misinterpreted scripture, and over time laws were created about not working on Sundays, 'blue laws' not to sell liquor (should do that more often anyways), different store hours, most shops closed, etc etc, and of course most Church services except SDA, and a few others who worship on Saturday..
I am not SDA, but I also know God did not change the sabbath, and I also know Paul mentions in Romans 14:5
"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."

"Here in the second book attributed to Luke, written about 80 - 90 A.D., we now come to one of the most frequently quoted verses to support Sunday sacredness:

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Clearly the disciples are meeting on Sunday, the first day of the week. It might even be presumed by some that by "breaking bread" they celebrated the Lord's supper that Sunday. The question that needs to be asked though, is why were the disciples assembled on this day? What reason brought them together? In context, it will be seen that Paul was departing the next day on his journey to Jerusalem to be present during the Pentecost festival (v. 16). This gathering was a farewell assembly with Paul, the last day the people at Troas could meet with him, and that is why it lasted into the early morning hours. In fact Paul talked with them all through the night and then left in the morning at sunrise (v. 11).

Did Paul preach? Yes, without doubt, as verse 7 makes clear. Does that indicate the day was special, a holy day? No, they preached every day:

Acts 5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

Did they celebrate the Lord's supper? Perhaps, yet even if they did, as some maintain, there is no indication that that Sunday, or any Sunday, was being observed as a newly instituted weekly holy day to commemorate the resurrection. The breaking of bread did not indicate a special day of worship, or even that the Lord's supper was being celebrated, as scripture tells us they met daily and broke bread from house to house:

Acts 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat [food] with gladness and singleness of heart,

This indicates nothing more than eating what are called agape meals of fellowship, which are not necessarily connected with a formal worship service involving partaking in communion. Here is another example of breaking bread meaning a common meal:

Acts 27:33 And while the day was coming on, Paul besought them all to take meat [food], saying, This day is the fourteenth day that ye have tarried and continued fasting, having taken nothing.
Acts 27:34 Wherefore I pray you to take some meat [food]: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you.
Acts 27:35 And when he had thus spoken, he took bread, and gave thanks to God in presence of them all: and when he had broken it, he began to eat.

Now some will point to the celebration of Pentecost, found in Acts 2, and rightly claim that this occurred on a Sunday. Since that year the 16th of Nisan; the day of firstfruits; which was a type of the resurrection; fell on Sunday, Pentecost would also fall on Sunday. However, those gathered in the upper room on that day were gathered because it was Pentecost, not because it was Sunday:

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Had they been gathered to observe the resurrection, wouldn't Luke have told us that this was the new day of the week for all Christians to observe? But, you say, we do observe Pentecost always on a Sunday (Whitsunday). Perhaps you do, but not by anything directed in scripture. Pentecost, like Passover, is not tied to any particular week day. It is determined by the day of the month of the biblical lunar calendar, which means it does not always fall on Sunday. According to the scriptural calculation, Pentecost will most likely be on (or about) the 6th day of the third month, Sivan, which will only occasionally fall on the first day of the week. When the Catholic Church ruled in the Council of Nicaea in 325 A.D. that the resurrection (Easter) would always be observed on a Sunday (instead of the biblical 16 Nisan), this automatically resulted in Pentecost being observed only on a Sunday, but this change lacks any biblical support.

So, there is nothing in the book of Acts that leads us to believe that Sunday had been set aside as a weekly holy day of worship to honor the resurrection.

Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians

Continuing on to the next book of the New Testament, which according to Catholic scholars was written between 52 and 57 A.D., we find what is probably the single most quoted text used in an effort to "prove" Sunday worship:

1 Cor 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Paul writes to the Corinthians that he is requesting money be saved for distribution to the needy saints in Jerusalem (v. 3). Paul is recommending that each person, on the first day of the week, lay aside and save by themselves a proportional amount of their income for the purpose of this offering. In that way, when Paul arrives the necessary funds will be already set aside and available.

1 Cor 16:3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.
1 Cor 16:4 And if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me.

Upon meeting with Paul after his arrival at Corinth, the money that had been saved up would be given to the designated courier and taken to Jerusalem by Paul's direction. Most notably, Paul is not instructing the Corinthians to observe Sunday, or even implying that funds are to be collected at a Sunday worship service. He is saying that on the first day of the week each person is to allocate and set aside at home (lay by him in store) a portion of their funds. There is no indication that the individual needed to leave home or go anywhere to do this.

It is also clear from the book of Acts, that Paul kept only the Sabbath day in Corinth, and not Sunday:

Acts 18:1 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;
Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
Acts 18:11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

That's 72 Sabbaths that Paul preached in Corinth. There can be no question that Paul raised up a Sabbath keeping church in Corinth, a church that knew nothing of observing Sunday as a holy day. So, while many will point to 1 Corinthians 16:2 in the light of Tradition, and say that it refers to passing the collection plate during a Sundayservice, in context, that is simply not indicated by the text.

That completes the entire testimony of the scriptures on the first day of the week. Note that not once in the Gospels, or indeed the whole of the New Testament, did Jesus Christ even mention the first day of the week, much less declare it the new day of rest to replace the Saturday Sabbath. And not once, according to the New Testament, were the Apostles gathered together in worship on a Sunday for the declared purpose of honoring the resurrection."
http://biblelight.net/firstday.htm

Reactions: nick notes
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You make a huge distinction between the Saturday Sabbath and the other Sabbaths which I do not find in scripture. The jubilee “Sabbath year” seems to carry the same weight as any other Sabbath, so can you show me differently from scripture?

Jesus said: Matt. 12: 5 Or haven’t you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are innocent?

In what way were the priests apparently (to the casual observer) desecrating the Sabbath?

So, as Priests today are we “desecrating” the Sabbath in one respect (doing lots of stuff that is work to some) and yet we are innocent?

Under the Christian dispensation we have an expanded holiness time and holy people do not only include the priestly tribe, but every Christian is a priest doing priestly duties and not just one day per week, but every day.

It has gone from “partially in” for the average Jew under the Law to “all in” under the Christian age for Christians.

How did the year of Jubilee point to the coming Savior?

The priest were not to “work” but were to be supported by the other tribes and they only worship (doing everything in obedience to God’s commands).

The priest going to the temple on a Sabbath offering sacrifices on the altar were involved in a very formal part of worship, so today we are the priests, we are that temple, we are the living sacrifice, we are observing the Sabbath Rest and we constantly carry our “altar” around with us constantly offering a sacrifice, so are we constantly involved in formal worship?

Col. 2: 16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Ro. 14: 5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Do you have a problem with me considering every day alike?

From what I read of pre-Christ Jewish scholars and my study of the prophets, I see the Christian age we are in is also the Jubilee Age, with everyday being a Sabbath day. We are to be the priest in this age worshipping hard every day at every minute and not “working” by God’s definition of work. Everything we do at every moment is done in obedience to one of God’s commands (not the commands of men [including ourselves]) and thus is offered up as worship.

Christ is our example, so how much time was God, His number one focus?

I worked with Christians that were converted and Baptized in prison. They had to leave the protection of their former gangs, give up their weapons, were repeatedly beaten, and were watch by snitches 24/7 for any sign of weakness (doing anything less than what the snitches felt Christ Himself would do). Any sign of a lack of commitment would bring the bulls to try and make them their slaves, knowing they were not committed enough to die for their cause, so how much time did they spend in “worship”?

Can we really “justify” wasting time not focusing in Christ/God?

The priest “worked” extremely hard especially on Sabbath days, but this was not “work” by God’s definition, since it was done in obedience to God’s commands it was worship. We are to be doing the same. This worshipping can be physically very tiring but it is also a Sabbath rest.

We are to be a “Nation of Priest” and yes, Christ is our High Priest, so when are we not to be involved in worship?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The Saturday Sabbath is part of Judaism not Christianity. Christ is Christianity's Sabbath and it is not limited to a day of the week.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Saturday Sabbath is part of Judaism not Christianity. Christ is Christianity's Sabbath and it is not limited to a day of the week.

The Israelite's that were led out of Egypt by Jesus were told to gather a double portion of manna on Friday (the preparation day) as no manna would fall on Sabbath (7th day of the weekly cycle set up at creation). There were Jews (Judaism) present, so the 7th day Sabbath preceded the Jews.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Israelite's that were led out of Egypt by Jesus were told to gather a double portion of manna on Friday (the preparation day) as no manna would fall on Sabbath (7th day of the weekly cycle set up at creation). There were Jews (Judaism) present, so the 7th day Sabbath preceded the Jews.

Obviously the Sabbath did not precede the Jews. The Sabbath preceded the giving of the law but was one of the ten commandments so it was brought into the law.

The Sabbath occurred one time for God but that was for God, not for anyone else. The first time man was given the Sabbath was just prior to the law being given.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Obviously the Sabbath did not precede the Jews. The Sabbath preceded the giving of the law but was one of the ten commandments so it was brought into the law.

The Sabbath occurred one time for God but that was for God, not for anyone else. The first time man was given the Sabbath was just prior to the law being given.

Mark 2:26-28 King James Version (KJV)
26 How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?

27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

The Sabbath was the last creation of the creation week.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Upvote 0

BadHabit

Does not play well with others
Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been reading up on the luni-solar calendar and how it corresponds to the old traditional Jewish calendar system which was based on moon phases and that the Sabbath was observed on the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th day after the New Moon.

As for observance, I can only do my best. I have my obligations every day to fulfill, and I must do them, but I try to take time to spend in thought and prayer.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mark 2:26-28 King James Version (KJV)
26 How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?

27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

The Sabbath was the last creation of the creation week.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Only God rested on the first Sabbath. Man was not given the Sabbath until before the law came, which is what I have already stated.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Only God rested on the first Sabbath. Man was not given the Sabbath until before the law came, which is what I have already stated.

Genesis 26 King James Version (KJV)
26 And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.

2 And the Lord appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:

3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;

4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Which laws did Abraham keep if not the ten commandments?

Cain slew his brother because he did not keep the word of GOD pertaining to a blood
sacrifice. This was before Moses received the statutes concerning the sanctuary.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
John 1King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Jesus is the creator and his commandments are forever.

Satan was cast out of Heaven because there was iniquity (sin) found in him. What law did he transgress?
1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath in the OT was for two purposes. One was to observe and remember the day of rest after the creation.The other points to our life in Christ.
But as with every part of the law, it also represents a picture of the future. This one ties directly with circumcision.
The old way was a picture of the future day when our old nature is "cut away" and we enter into the "rest" of salvation...that is, we don't struggle with sin like when the flesh ruled us. We walk in the new nature. That is, complete benevolence and mercy for others. Love rules our thoughts and actions. We see every human being as equally valuable with no hint of racism or financial superiority.
See, Yeshua IS the Sabbath! When we walk in the spirit with Christ alive in us the EVERY DAY is the Sabbath.
For the future, we look forward to living in the eternal city where every moment of life itself is one big Sabbath of rest.
In that kingdom we no longer will even have to deal with the presence of sin.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Again, the Saturday Sabbath is not part of the new covenant. It is not something Christians should be practicing.

Genesis 26 King James Version (KJV)
26 And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.

2 And the Lord appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:

3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;

4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Which laws did Abraham keep if not the ten commandments?

Cain slew his brother because he did not keep the word of GOD pertaining to a blood
sacrifice. This was before Moses received the statutes concerning the sanctuary.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
John 1King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Jesus is the creator and his commandments are forever.

Satan was cast out of Heaven because there was iniquity (sin) found in him. What law did he transgress?
1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Again, the Saturday Sabbath is not part of the new covenant. It is not something Christians should be practicing.
Surprising, you're right!
Not how you think though - oh no.... because Yhwh did not make a saturnday holy , no;
Yhwh honored the seventh day and made it holy, yes.
And so, all the believers following Jesus love to do as Jesus does.
He shows us how (most people cannot show anyone).
We in fact will follow Jesus wherever He goes, whatever He says.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Surprising, you're right!

It's not surprising. This is a well known fact since the beginning of Christianity. Most Christians understand this already with a handful who are mislead and confused.

Upvote 0