Christians who forsake Church, or only do the minimum to not forsake the assembling

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. as someone who attends church thrice a week (Sunday morning, evening, Wednesday night) the fact that there are so many who only show up on Sunday morning, but then the seat it is empty for night time service, it is sad. And people say "Oh I'm busy, or I have to work" listen the Bible says we are not to forsake the assembly, can't you schedule around those times is it too much to ask your boss to say give me Sunday off, and Wednesday nights? wow! I get some might have a ministry at their work place or need to earn lucre at their job for their family, but Christians ought not to look to do the minimum in any area of life, "how least can I show up and it not count as forsaking the assembly?" rather we should go above and beyond, even more so in 2023 as we get closer to the end, last days. Bible says in Matthew 5:41 “And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.” We as Christians should do more than is asked and required especially at church, Jesus Christ is #1 in our lives the Bible says seek first the Kingdom of God. all other things come in second.

Now for those who do only come once a week, I can't really say you are forsaking the assembly, because you are at least coming once a week. but that is the minimum ,really if we are free and have nothing better to do yet decide not to go to church, that is wicked. and it sets a bad example, others absolutely notice when you miss/skip church. it causes others to stumble, there are unintended consequences when you miss church, maybe others might think Church is not all that important when they see your chair empty. we should always try to go to church unless we are sick/vacation. and like I said once a week is the minimum we should look for thrice a week plus attending other church events, and soul winning, preaching the gospel to the lost on the days when there is no church service, etc.

Go to church, don't forsake, you will be blessed by God for going three times a week, doing more than is required, lead by example. don't let your chair be empty, show up for the services and sing praises unto God, worship God. pay your tithe, give to the local church, support your local church, support your pastor, pray for other saints (believers in Jesus Christ), and do what God says and want us to do which is be good examples as ambassadors of Jesus Christ. There are so many scriptures even if Hebrews 10:25 were not there, which tell us to go to church, the congregation, assembly, house of God, temple of God, etc.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
what church is that? what denomination
Alliance

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. as someone who attends church thrice a week (Sunday morning, evening, Wednesday night) the fact that there are so many who only show up on Sunday morning, but then the seat it is empty for night time service, it is sad.
First you don't make it a thing of legalism that you choose to have two services and look down condescendingly on ones who don't meet your expectations. The whole system of two services a day , while OK if a gathering wants that to me it never has made sense. Why not have it one on Sunday, one on Tuesday, and one on Saturday or Friday then you have the time of exhortation spread out.

And people say "Oh I'm busy, or I have to work" listen the Bible says we are not to forsake the assembly, can't you schedule around those times is it too much to ask your boss to say give me Sunday off, and Wednesday nights?
You might have lost touch with how the working world works these days. Have you ever heard of Continental work weeks? You just can't go in there and tell people you want this day off or that unless you're going to quit your job. That would also include being a nurse, police or fire department.
I get some might have a ministry at their work place or need to earn lucre at their job for their family, but Christians ought not to look to do the minimum in any area of life, "how least can I show up and it not count as forsaking the assembly?" rather we should go above and beyond, even more so in 2023 as we get closer to the end, last days.
Sure we should seek to want to give exhortation to each other and try to do it in an increased manner. Just don't make a religion on how this has to be carried out though. Having people meet in homes for fellowship, meeting in coffee shops any other a various way are good too. Know this too that when they met in the temple in Jerusalem the early church that was like the town square. It wasn't necessarily like what you consider to be a church service.

Bible says in Matthew 5:41 “And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.” We as Christians should do more than is asked and required especially at church,
Jesus was talking generally about loving one another....you can't use that as a church edit putting it over people's conscience to make them feel guilt for not obeying your commands. So question are you willing to go a second mile every time someone asks you to do something?

Now for those who do only come once a week, I can't really say you are forsaking the assembly, because you are at least coming once a week. but that is the minimum ....
Not necessarily at all. They may be meeting other believers with a variety of things. You seem to want to gravitate towards believing forsaking the assembly together has to mean church meetings as in a church building. Maybe you need to think out of the box.
Go to church, don't forsake, you will be blessed by God for going three times a week, doing more than is required,
You could be. Or you could be going to church events so much you don't have time to pray, read the Bible and have everyone in the neighbor hood say there they go off for meeting 7892. If I go to church (they might say) they'll put those expectations on me and I'd be beat.
lead by example. don't let your chair be empty, show up for the services and sing praises unto God, worship God. pay your tithe, give to the local church, support your local church, support your pastor, pray for other saints (believers in Jesus Christ), and do what God says and want us to do which is be good examples as ambassadors of Jesus Christ.
I totally agree. Just don't have a list and take attendance and judge people for not jumping as high as you think they should.

There are so many scriptures even if Hebrews 10:25 were not there, which tell us to go to church, the congregation, assembly, house of God, temple of God, etc.
Yes but not in the way that you think. They met in homes.....house to house....and even when they met at the temple that was like the town square. Not church buildings like you think. But they were devout to one another that's for sure. Act 4

Reactions: okay
Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
First you don't make it a thing of legalism that you choose to have two services and look down condescendingly on ones who don't meet your expectations. The whole system of two services a day , while OK if a gathering wants that to me it never has made sense. Why not have it one on Sunday, one on Tuesday, and one on Saturday or Friday then you have the time of exhortation spread out.

You might have lost touch with how the working world works these days. Have you ever heard of Continental work weeks? You just can't go in there and tell people you want this day off or that unless you're going to quit your job. That would also include being a nurse, police or fire department.

Sure we should seek to want to give exhortation to each other and try to do it in an increased manner. Just don't make a religion on how this has to be carried out though. Having people meet in homes for fellowship, meeting in coffee shops any other a various way are good too. Know this too that when they met in the temple in Jerusalem the early church that was like the town square. It wasn't necessarily like what you consider to be a church service.

Jesus was talking generally about loving one another....you can't use that as a church edit putting it over people's conscience to make them feel guilt for not obeying your commands. So question are you willing to go a second mile every time someone asks you to do something?

Not necessarily at all. They may be meeting other believers with a variety of things. You seem to want to gravitate towards believing forsaking the assembly together has to mean church meetings as in a church building. Maybe you need to think out of the box.

You could be. Or you could be going to church events so much you don't have time to pray, read the Bible and have everyone in the neighbor hood say there they go off for meeting 7892. If I go to church (they might say) they'll put those expectations on me and I'd be beat.

I totally agree. Just don't have a list and take attendance and judge people for not jumping as high as you think they should.

Yes but not in the way that you think. They met in homes.....house to house....and even when they met at the temple that was like the town square. Not church buildings like you think. But they were devout to one another that's for sure. Act 4
Legalism is making your something a requirement for salvation, which I am not doing. this has nothing to do with salvation. Salvation is a free gift, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. you don't have to ever attend a church to be saved. Also If your job won't let you attend church, then get another job. Church can happen at a home, in fact many churches do start out at home but then grow. but usually when people talk about having church at home, they really mean with one or two of their buddies and then they call that church. no that is not church. Church is to have ordained leaders that meet the qualifications of bishop. not a get together with a couple of people and then you call that "church"

also no I don't take attendance but I do notice when others seat is empty it is not a good thing, does not feel good knowing that others might be forsaking. we should take church attendance seriously because there are unintended consequences when your seat is empty and lot of people don't want to talk about it, but it is true and we really should try #1 to attend a local church. there are always excuses even some good excuses, but at the end of the day just get up and go. I have never been to a church service where afterward I wish I didn't go. no I am always glad I went and it is fun to go there to the house of God to be with other believers as the bible says to do and as Jesus Christ himself did.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Legalism is making your something a requirement for salvation, which I am not doing. this has nothing to do with salvation. Salvation is a free gift, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. you don't have to ever attend a church to be saved. Also If your job won't let you attend church, then get another job. Church can happen at a home, in fact many churches do start out at home but then grow. but usually when people talk about having church at home, they really mean with one or two of their buddies and then they call that church. no that is not church. Church is to have ordained leaders that meet the qualifications of bishop. not a get together with a couple of people and then you call that "church"

also no I don't take attendance but I do notice when others seat is empty it is not a good thing, does not feel good knowing that others might be forsaking. we should take church attendance seriously because there are unintended consequences when your seat is empty and lot of people don't want to talk about it, but it is true and we really should try #1 to attend a local church. there are always excuses even some good excuses, but at the end of the day just get up and go. I have never been to a church service where afterward I wish I didn't go. no I am always glad I went and it is fun to go there to the house of God to be with other believers as the bible says to do and as Jesus Christ himself did.

Also If your job won't let you attend church, then get another job.
I can agree with you to a point and degree. But you're going to tell every cop, nurse, fire department worker they need to get another job? They may have felt the Lord lead them to that profession and now it's all a no he didn't? Point...there are ways to accommodate people and make fellowship work in a variety of ways.
Church can happen at a home, in fact many churches do start out at home but then grow. but usually when people talk about having church at home, they really mean with one or two of their buddies and then they call that church. no that is not church. Church is to have ordained leaders that meet the qualifications of bishop. not a get together with a couple of people and then you call that "church"
Sure I agree with that. The early church however met in homes various days of the week. You don't have to have such a rigid way of doing things in the way that you put things.

Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, Acts 2:46

And the temple courts there was a church as in a church building as you might imagine. It was like the town square. And you see the breaking bread in homes That was their custom.
.....also no I don't take attendance but I do notice when others seat is empty it is not a good thing, does not feel good knowing that others might be forsaking.
And they could also be trying out a different church. That doesn't mean they're not fellowshipping. Not saying you shouldn't care. Give them a call through the week and say you noticed they weren't there.....just don't put them under guilt. Give them the liberty to miss an odd service without playing a heavy.

we should take church attendance seriously because there are unintended consequences when your seat is empty
If your church is a place where real LIFE and encouragement is being imparted then I'd say yes....they may miss out on necessary exhortation God would have given them for the days ahead. And they missed the opportunity to impart it to to others.

and lot of people don't want to talk about it, but it is true and we really should try #1 to attend a local church. there are always excuses even some good excuses, but at the end of the day just get up and go.
I agree with that.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now for those who do only come once a week, I can't really say you are forsaking the assembly, because you are at least coming once a week. but that is the minimum ,really if we are free and have nothing better to do yet decide not to go to church, that is wicked. and it sets a bad example, others absolutely notice when you miss/skip church. it causes others to stumble, there are unintended consequences when you miss church, maybe others might think Church is not all that important when they see your chair empty. we should always try to go to church unless we are sick/vacation. and like I said once a week is the minimum we should look for thrice a week plus attending other church events, and soul winning, preaching the gospel to the lost on the days when there is no church service, etc.

I'll agree in one sense: For those who live in an urban setting near a church that's large enough to offer daily Mass (or something simpler like daily Noonday Prayer), attending these daily services can be a wonderful part of one's prayer life.

I'd rather not turn it into a guilty obligation, though. My church has a saying about many of our spiritual practices: "All may, some should, none must." I'd put daily church attendance in this category. Daily church attendance can be a great opportunity for spiritual growth. But if it's more of a burden than a help, then pray at home instead. Weekly Communion is traditional for a reason; it's a good balance of regular worship vs the acknowledgement that we are stewards of many daily responsibilities.

Reactions: Fervent
Upvote 0

okay

Apr 10, 2023
New England
✟14,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
This is just so over the top. I have been active in churches for almost all of my 50+ years - and never was part of one that had services three days a week! There are many ways of being Christian - not all of them align with yours.

And when you mention jobs it is just ridiculous. Ever known a farmer, or doctor, or police officer, or nursing-home worker, or a soldier, or a security guard, or a musician, or …. ? Many careers do not give the option to have every Sunday off. Do you really think society would be better if all Christians abandoned those fields so they were 100% non-believers? And how much more difficult would it be to reach those remaining with the gospel?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the presence of God manifests a lot better when his childs go in reunions, he also promised to be where 2 or 3 reunite, and to send eternal life and blessings when his childs get togheter, i think is very important and necessary to go to church. At the point i think we can't survive and keep lit the flame of the spirit if we don't go, depends that if the church has the presence of God in there.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,955.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Not forsaking the assembly means, don't neglect to meet together with other Christians, to share you faith, study and encourage one another.
We can do that without going into a building called a church (WE are the church.)
as someone who attends church thrice a week (Sunday morning, evening, Wednesday night) the fact that there are so many who only show up on Sunday morning, but then the seat it is empty for night time service, it is sad.
Why?
It's not compulsory to "go to church" morning and evening. Some churches have services at different times to suit different people.

And people say "Oh I'm busy, or I have to work" listen the Bible says we are not to forsake the assembly,
"Not forsaking the assembly" does not mean "you have to go to every service.

can't you schedule around those times is it too much to ask your boss to say give me Sunday off, and Wednesday nights?
That might not be possible.
And if you accept a job knowing that working Sundays is part of the deal, your boss will likely tell you it's tough luck.

No, the "wow!" is you saying that "not forsaking the assembly" means that a Christian HAS to go to church - preferably as frequently as you do, to show their commitment.

I get some might have a ministry at their work place or need to earn lucre at their job for their family, but Christians ought not to look to do the minimum in any area of life,
There are ways of having Christian fellowship other than going to church as often as possible.
Supposing a person has a Christian boss and/or Christian colleagues? Supposing they have a workplace Bible study/prayer meeting?
We as Christians should do more than is asked and required especially at church,
Why?
Unless you go to a church which has a massive congregation, church can be all about maintaining a building, getting stewards, fundraising - to get money to maintain the building. It is very much like that around here - churches have very small congregations, who are all older, and one or two more active people do the lot.
I no longer want to be involved in all that. The church should be about mission; going out, not trying to lure people to come in.

Now for those who do only come once a week, I can't really say you are forsaking the assembly, because you are at least coming once a week. but that is the minimum ,
We only meet once a week.
,really if we are free and have nothing better to do yet decide not to go to church, that is wicked
No it isn't.
What is better; to "go to church" because you feel that you have to/someone has made you feel guilty for not doing so, or to sit at home, reading Scripture, listening to Christian music and spending time with the Lord? Sometimes I have NOT gone to church because I want to do just that.

and it sets a bad example, others absolutely notice when you miss/skip church. it causes others to stumble,
What evidence do you have that if someone goes to church in the morning but not in the evening, another Christian will stumble and begin to lose their faith?
When I've been to churches that have evening services, they get maybe 1/4 of the number they get in the morning; if they're lucky.
It hasn't caused anyone to stumble.

there are unintended consequences when you miss church,
Like what?
maybe others might think Church is not all that important when they see your chair empty.
Maybe - ah, so not definite then?
And while I would agree that meeting together and encouraging other Christians IS important - going into a special building to follow a set pattern of worship - which in a lot of paces is the traditional hymn/prayer sandwich - isn't.

we should look for thrice a week plus attending other church events, and soul winning, preaching the gospel to the lost on the days when there is no church service, etc.
Who says?

Go to church, don't forsake, you will be blessed by God for going three times a week,
I'm blessed by God and I only go once a week - sometimes not even that.

doing more than is required, lead by example. don't let your chair be empty,
I don't have a chair.
pay your tithe, give to the local church, support your local church, support your pastor,
A tithe to the church isn't Scriptural.
and do what God says and want us to do which is be good examples as ambassadors of Jesus Christ.
Yes, he does.
But that doesn't mean we have to go to church 3 times a week and get involved in stuff we may not want to be involved in.

There are so many scriptures even if Hebrews 10:25 were not there, which tell us to go to church, the congregation, assembly, house of God, temple of God, etc.
Maybe.
But not "go to church at least 3 x a week, otherwise it's wicked, and get involved in lots of stuff."

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think many (not all) churches today are not what the bible was talking about. Going to a church and listening to a personal sermon written by someone surrounded by a few verses of the Word is not exactly what I would even call a true church. A true church imo is straight up Bible teaching/scriptures, verse by verse and chapter by chapter.

One could attend church a lifetime sitting on a pew and come away in some instances only receiving the milk if you're not also studying at home yourself and only dependant on your church for your teaching.

And as someone said, it's not the building- it's the fellow Christians you gather, study, share faith with, exhort one another, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Every Christian should belong to the Church, and should attend the liturgy as often as they are able, since Scripture clearly establishes it is through membership in Christ’s Church that we are saved, by being grafted onto the body of Christ, and Holy Communion is the primary means of grace.

I myself attend as often as my failing health permits, and what is more, insofar as I cannot attend much of the time, I watch numerous churches, primarily Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Anglican, on YouTube (there are a few others I really like, including Park Street Church in Boston, which I love given my Congregationalist background, the beautiful liturgical traditionalist Methodist Epworth Chapel on the Green in Boise, Idaho, and the First Christian Church in Winchester, Kentucky. I also monitor a few churches I regard as heretical, and some of which are considered heretical by the CF.com statement of faith, for instance, King’s Chapel in Boston, which is one of the last theoretically heterodox Christian parishes of the Unitarian Universalists.

Upvote 0