Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The numerous casualties of the "Great War" had a direct impact on how priests celebrated Mass on November 2.

While All Souls Day dates back to the 10th century, one major aspect of its celebration was introduced during World War I.

According to Fr. William Saunders in an article for Catholic Exchange, “During World War I, Pope Benedict XV, recognizing the number of [casualties] and the numerous Masses that could not be fulfilled because of destroyed Churches, granted all priests the privilege of offering three Masses on All Souls Day: one for the particular intention, one for all of the faithful departed and one for the intentions of the Holy Father.”

Horrors of war​

Pope Benedict XV made this change on August 10, 1915, in a papal bull entitled Incruentum altaris. This was shortly after Italy declared war on Austria-Hungary and after the first Zeppelin raid on London. It was early on in the war, but already there were many casualties and there was no end in sight. Looking forward to November 2, Benedict XV knew he had to do something to pray for all the newly deceased.

Continued below.