Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, if they met like the early church did in the first place, maybe they would be considered one household, which wouldn't need to social distance, huh.
If they all lived together they would be considered one household. If they lived separately and were just meeting to worship that isn’t one household.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Our main concern should not be politics

Don't you see that this is all this story has become?

This is what MacArthur's church is doing in my humble opinion.

Well Macarthur isn't a low profile pastor, the guy's got a study bible.

I'm sure, in his humble opinion, he's got a good case for what he and his congregation decided on.

Maybe it's best not to judge before the time.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If they all lived together they would be considered one household. If they lived separately and were just meeting to worship that isn’t one household.

Exactly, let this be a lesson to the household of God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't you see that this is all this story has become?

From whose perspective? Jesus said narrow is the way. Followers of Christ will not hang on long to this kind of story and neither will they be overly concerned about politics.

John MacArthur is a Calvinist and he teaches that a believer can sin and still be saved.

Some Calvinists will boast in "Lordship Salvation" that is promoted by John MacArthur, but I believe this is a Trojan horse. John MacArthur does not really believe we must live holy exactly (as a part of salvation).

John MacArthur (A Calvinist) also teaches that a believer can commit suicide and still be saved.

He says, I quote: "At the trial, MacArthur, 45, is seeking to clarify his church’s teaching on suicide. “It’s not only a sin, it’s illegal,” he says. “But we teach that even if a believer takes his own life, the Lord will still receive him into His presence.”

Source:
Fundamentalist Clergymen Face Charges of 'Malpractice' When a Parishioner Turns to Suicide

John MacArthur says that a person can take the mark of the beast and they can still be saved afterwards. Listen to this audio clip by him here:

https://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/audio/macarthur-take-mark.mp3

John MacArthur says, ".. sin does not result in spiritual death for the believer ... (The MacArthur Study Bible, p. 1927, comment on James 1:15)"

Also, check out this video on John MacArthur teaching that we can sin and still be saved: (Important Note: Turn down sound at the beginning of the video just in case you may have sensitive hearing like me):

You said:
I'm sure, in his humble opinion, he's got a good case for what he and his congregation decided on.

Maybe it's best not to judge before the time.

So they are immune from the virus, and in spreading it to others?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

He is a Calvinist. If you don't know anything about Calvinism, it basically is saying in their main point of Unconditional Election that some people are chosen by God to be saved, and other people are chosen by God to be damned, and nobody has a free will choice to choose God or reject Him. God decides who is saved and unsaved. So God chooses some to be burned for all eternity alive out of His good will and pleasure. In my humble opinion in reading the Bible, this does not sound like the God I know. The story of Jonah does not depict this kind of God. God changed His mind based on the Ninevite people repenting and it was not God who forced changed them to repent.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Whoa, it looks like you already had all this locked n loaded to go!

Are you watching this man as an "Antichrist" candidate?

So they are immune from the virus, and in spreading it to others?

Now I'm gonna play like all the scientists and politicians and ask for the numbers on this.

*Any cases out of this gathering?

**Any increase in the San Fernando Valley?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
He is a Calvinist. If you don't know anything about Calvinism, it basically is saying in their main point of Unconditional Election that some people are chosen by God to be saved, and other people are chosen by God to be damned, and nobody has a free will choice to choose God or reject Him. God decides who is saved and unsaved. So God chooses some to be burned for all eternity alive out of His good will and pleasure. In my humble opinion in reading the Bible, this does not sound like the God I know. The story of Jonah does not depict this kind of God. God changed His mind based on the Ninevite people repenting and it was not God who forced changed them to repent.

Politics...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is easy to get. Either you are all living together or you are not.

The 1st century church did not all live together, but they were in constant enough contact with each other--and probably fairly stand-offi-ish with everyone else. It was rather the norm for those days. If one found oneself in the interior of a building with someone else (as opposed to being in an open courtyard or marketplace), that was probably a family member or a close friend.

For instance, we have our daughter and a couple of very close friends who don't mind sharing close space with--having meals together and such--because we take care to come into such contact only with each other to a definite exclusion of others.

It's not impossible for a congregation to do the same. But they'd all have to be very trustworthy that they maintain sufficient distance from everyone else and follow strict protocols everywhere else.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The 1st century church did not all live together, but they were in constant enough contact with each other--and probably fairly stand-offi-ish with everyone else. It was rather the norm for those days. If one found oneself in the interior of a building with someone else (as opposed to being in an open courtyard or marketplace), that was probably a family member or a close friend.

For instance, we have our daughter and a couple of very close friends who don't mind sharing close space with--having meals together and such--because we take care to come into such contact only with each other to a definite exclusion of others.

It's not impossible for a congregation to do the same. But they'd all have to be very trustworthy that they maintain sufficient distance from everyone else and follow strict protocols everywhere else.

And since that can't be proven it wouldn't qualify as one household as was claimed.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
And who is it that is being lawless? A person going to a church service or a rioter?

It is possible that a bunch of Pharisees defying the government "in God's name" and attending church services are lawless--AND it is possible that rioters are fighting for their own freedom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And since that can't be proven it wouldn't qualify as one household as was claimed.

Well, I do believe that some states and localities have gone beyond clinical necessity in the measures they've imposed. There isn't a clinical case for curtailing parking lot tailgate services, for instances. That kind of thing is a case of governmental overreach. Even Dr Fauci has been seen at open-air sports events with his mask below his chin.

How a congregation should respond to that overreach is, however, a separate issue. We should not respond to provocation as the world would respond to provocation.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Keep in mind I'm not pro
Well then, I guess the lesson involves deciding who/what will define us.

Is this the same government that defines two married men (to each other) as an household?

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The only potential discredit I see on John MacArthur right now is the lack of evidence that he tried to work things out with local authorities first. If it's just "California is anti-God, I'm going to stick it to them," then that is not in line with Paul's teaching. There needs to be evidence that they REALLY WERE trying to shut down the church under the pretext of Covid. We've got churches all around the world reaching compromises with the local authorities. Why is Grace not?

Upvote 0