California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The only potential discredit I see on John MacArthur right now is the lack of evidence that he tried to work things out with local authorities first. If it's just "California is anti-God, I'm going to stick it to them," then that is not in line with Paul's teaching. There needs to be evidence that they REALLY WERE trying to shut down the church under the pretext of Covid. We've got churches all around the world reaching compromises with the local authorities. Why is Grace not?

The city all of a sudden stopped renting out a parking lot to Grace, after 30+ years...why?

The parking lot is across a street and about a 1/2 block from the actual church building.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The city all of a sudden stopped renting out a parking lot to Grace, after 30+ years...why?

The parking lot is across a street and about a 1/2 block from the actual church building.

Oh, this was after the church kept gathering in the building. I thought the church was meeting in parking lot and they shut it down on them.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

It is a government parking lot they can stop leasing it for any reason they want.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I do believe that some states and localities have gone beyond clinical necessity in the measures they've imposed. There isn't a clinical case for curtailing parking lot tailgate services, for instances. That kind of thing is a case of governmental overreach. Even Dr Fauci has been seen at open-air sports events with his mask below his chin.

How a congregation should respond to that overreach is, however, a separate issue. We should not respond to provocation as the world would respond to provocation.
That is what gets me. We are to obey the civil authorities. A church can take proper legal steps and then file a lawsuit if it thinks it is being wronged. Here the church is ignoring the law.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So? Everyone does.

I'm not a calvinist but I don't see how this enters the conversation..

It enters into the conversation because a wrong belief will manifest itself with bad fruit in some way.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whoa, it looks like you already had all this locked n loaded to go!

Are you watching this man as an "Antichrist" candidate?

Now I'm gonna play like all the scientists and politicians and ask for the numbers on this.

*Any cases out of this gathering?

**Any increase in the San Fernando Valley?

I have no idea of what you are talking about. Please clarify.

Do you believe there is no risk of getting the virus by huddling up together without masks? Do you want to visit all the tons of Covid 19 patients in hospitals and then take off your mask and tell them to cough on you? Would you not feel safer with a mask if you ran into someone in who you knew had Covid? What about the social distancing thing? Would you want to be closer to a Covid person or farther away? Think man. Would you have courage to visit all the hospitals to see if it is all a hoax or the numbers are inflated?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you believe there is no risk of getting the virus by huddling up together without masks? Do you want to visit all the tons of Covid 19 patients in hospitals and then take off your mask and tell them to cough on you? Would you not feel safer with a mask if you ran into someone in who you knew had Covid? What about the social distancing thing? Would you want to be closer to a Covid person or farther away? Think man. Would you have courage to visit all the hospitals to see if it is all a hoax or the numbers are inflated?

The head of the CDC today commented on the importance of wearing masks.

CDC head says masks may be better than coronavirus vaccine, implores people to wear them

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟505,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It can be a large band too.

I believe it says something about them getting together daily.

Do you know?

Which highlights the "authorities" double standard. Keep 100 man dorms open, but close the churches, huh.

State specifically what you believe is the “double standard.”

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟505,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remember, the real authority is supposed to be the constitution.

Under God, of course.

Yes, and the Supreme Court decision in Employment Division v Smith, which interpreted the Free Exercise of Religion Clause and is a landmark case, expressed a rationale justifying these restrictions, although they burden religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NotreDame

Domer
Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟505,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you know how large that church is?

It's a pretty big building, plenty of room to social distance.

* Not only that, they were meeting in the parking lot, before the city cut them off.

You do realize there is considerable epidemiological evidence that A.) at a certain size of B) people C.) inside for D.) some amount of time, then social distancing is no longer efficacious and/or its efficacy is substantially reduced, and risk of infection rises. This is especially true where there is signing, shouting, a lot of taking, like a church setting.

• Agree
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟505,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And here I always hear that California is sooo liberal and when one conservative church stands up, they are attacked.

Not because they are conservative, but because their conduct is reckless and misguided, and they are using their religion as a ruse for doing so.

• Agree
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟505,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now I'm gonna play like all the scientists and politicians and ask for the numbers on this.

*Any cases out of this gathering?

**Any increase in the San Fernando Valley?

That’s the point!!! To preclude gatherings that have an elevated risk of producing those numbers. It doesn’t make sense to sit around and wait for the numbers to appear, followed by the deaths, before deciding to act. How well did that work out in Florida, Texas, and Arizona? Not well.

The fact they’ve ostensibly escaped any confirmed positives as a result of their conduct doesn’t render their activity any less risky. Borrowing your logic, why preclude John from driving while intoxicated? After all, he’s been driving drunk the last several times and what harm has come from it?

That’s stunning logic you have there.

Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You do realize there is considerable epidemiological evidence that A.) at a certain size of B) people C.) inside for D.) some amount of time, then social distancing is no longer efficacious and/or its efficacy is substantially reduced, and risk of infection rises. This is especially true where there is signing, shouting, a lot of taking, like a church setting.

See my post #115

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not because they are conservative, but because their conduct is reckless and misguided, and they are using their religion as a ruse for doing so.
So you are against religious liberties?
Such as Muslims being allowed to wear berkas to work for example?
Seems like a slippery slope..

Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, and the Supreme Court decision in Employment Division v Smith, which interpreted the Free Exercise of Religion Clause and is a landmark case, expressed a rationale justifying these restrictions, although they burden religion.

What about the right to assemble?

*You do know Grace is fighting this in a court battle right?

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Do you know

Acts 2:46
"And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,"

State specifically what you believe is the “double standard.”

Keeping one group of people at risk for the money, and demanding another group of people eliminate the risk, because...why?

Do they really believe this one church will cause a spike in cases and/or deaths?

Upvote 0