Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
That’s easily solved when meeting indoors. Which by the way is mostly unnecessary this time of year. But for indoor meetings one of my local churches has created multiple services asking those who’d like to attend to preregister to accommodate social distancing. By not following proper guidelines for a pandemic you’re either exposing at risk members and visitors directly or indirectly by cross contamination. This whole subject is ridiculous, unloving, a threat to the general public and a poor example of Christian behavior and wisdom.

Actually, the poor example lies in embracing or effectively advocating for the greater evils I include in post 151 and certain other evils associated with extended governmental intrusion and even the shut down of the Church.

As I understand it, The Grace Community Church was even being forbidden to sing.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...Loving our neighbor should not involve embracing those mentioned greater evils that will, in the end, bring more damage and loss to our neighbors, including creating shortfalls in resources needed to support the elderly community resulting from current unjustified mitigation policies now in place.

Loving our neighbor should not involve risking their health just so you can assert your rights. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Loving our neighbor should not involve risking their health just so you can assert your rights. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The assembly is a necessary and intrigal component of our Christian faith, so much so the Bible says not to forsake the assembly - that's a command, not a polite request for when it's convenient.

The government has the legal right to do things for the good of the public health but only, according to the supreme court, so long as it's not arbitrary and works across the board applying to all equally, so long as it's as limited as possible in scope, and of limited duration.

The shut down began in April... Grace church followed the government shut down for a long time, only choosing to go back to having regular services in September.

That's 4 months they stayed home and didn't worship the way we are commanded to...

At this point the shut down is arbitrary and not being applied equally (it's fine to hit up Sam's club with the crowds of people, fine to go buy your tobacco at a tobacco shop with all your neighbours, fine to go to the alcohol shop with all your freinds... but church they'll arrest you for... )

In California its not longer limited in duration (5 months of shutdown with no end in sight)

When it comes to following God and His commands to us (don't forsake the assembly) or following state dictates, there comes a time we put God first, or just stop calling ourselves Christian altogether.

The Bible doesn't say don't forsake the assembly unless the government tells you your not allowed, the Bible says do not forsake the assembly. Period. Full stop.

We celebrate people in communist countries having church and worship services even though they might go to jail for it... yet in the land of the free won't stand up and say I will follow what God commands of me.

I for one celebrate Grace church holding services at this point. They are following the commands of God, no matter the cost. Good on them.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Your offering a Straw man, Red herring, or something like that.

It certainly is not and expression of Godly love to effectively advocate for the greater evils I have listed in post 151. You are grasping for the moral high ground, but without a sound argument to support your position. Your attempt to paint those contrary to our position as being derelict in Christ-centered love is somewhat wretched. I mean, to a certain degree, you are attempting de-Christianize those not agreeing with you.

You seem to be operating on the false presumption that certain standards that might apply to individual Christians under certain circumstances also apply to a nation as a whole.

Also, The evils enumerated in post 151 do greater damage to the health of citizens than the virus. Look at the condition of the citizens of certain totalitarian governments.. Advanced governmental tyranny does plenty of damage to persons over long periods of time. That is especially true in nations that seriously oppress and control the Church. Your position effectively embraces the greater evils. The current lock downs must end, now. Such lock-downs are further progress on the road to a totalitarian government.

Now, in terms of the health of certain persons as weighed against personal rights. If your neighbor comes over and threatens to damage your property, you, or your family, and in defending your property/yourself/family you damage said neighbor's health, then according to your reasoning, you would be in error in your actions because the neighbor's health is more important than you or your families right to life. Even if you are right on that account, such does not necessarily apply to the nation as a whole. In addition, the appeal to the authorities to stop such damage could also jeopardize the health of said neighbor.

So you should re-consider your position and start fighting against the ongoing lock-downs. Can you do that? Yes, you can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your offering a Straw man, Red herring, or something like that.

It certainly is not and expression of Godly love to effectively advocate for the greater evils I have listed in post 151. You are grasping for the moral high ground, but without a sound argument to support your position. Your attempt to paint those contrary to our position as being derelict in Christ-centered love is somewhat wretched. I mean, to a certain degree, you are attempting de-Christianize those not agreeing with you...

Not at all. I am not trying to "de-Christianize" anyone. I apparently have a different idea than you about what loving your neighbor means. Jesus said loving your neighbor is the second greatest commandment. It wasn't those things you listed in your post #151. I don't think He even ranked them.

Upvote 0