God's Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasey

Mar 8, 2004
✟1,402.00
Faith
It is my undestanding that it is commonly accepted by most people that the majority of Gods Law was abolished with the sacrifice of Christ. All that remain are basically The Ten Commandments. I have a few questions about this.

When I look at Hebrews 9-10, I cannot help but get the notion, as it is directly stated, that the "law" that was abolished was The Levitical Priesthood System. This system took care of all the sacrifices. Hebrews 9-10 state specifically that the sacrificial system was abolished, because Christ made a sacrifice for all, and the blood of animals was not required. How is it that people can claim that because of this sytem being abolished, that the rest the laws, commandments and statutes and judgements were abolished as well, like for instance, Leviticus 18:22 or Leviticus 19:26? How about Dueteronomy 22:8?

How are those laws, and many others like them, which have nothing to do with animal sacrifices be included with the abolishment of the Levitical Priesthood System?

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Kasey said:
It is my undestanding that it is commonly accepted by most people that the majority of Gods Law was abolished with the sacrifice of Christ. All that remain are basically The Ten Commandments. I have a few questions about this.

When I look at Hebrews 9-10, I cannot help but get the notion, as it is directly stated, that the "law" that was abolished was The Levitical Priesthood System. This system took care of all the sacrifices. Hebrews 9-10 state specifically that the sacrificial system was abolished, because Christ made a sacrifice for all, and the blood of animals was not required. How is it that people can claim that because of this sytem being abolished, that the rest the laws, commandments and statutes and judgements were abolished as well, like for instance, Leviticus 18:22 or Leviticus 19:26? How about Dueteronomy 22:8?

How are those laws, and many others like them, which have nothing to do with animal sacrifices be included with the abolishment of the Levitical Priesthood System?
I think these could be the verses in question.

Leviticus 18:22
" 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

Leviticus 19:26
" 'Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it. " 'Do not practice divination or sorcery.

Dueteronomy 22:8
"When you build a new house, make a parapet around your roof so that you may not bring the guilt of bloodshed on your house if someone falls from the roof."

Upvote 0

Kasey

Mar 8, 2004
✟1,402.00
Faith
The point that I am trying to make is that Hebrews 9-10 specifically state that the Levitical Priesthood System was abolished. This system took care of all the animal sacrifices. People use this as the backbone of their belief that all of God's Law was done away with except just The Ten Commandments. They use this a justification and an excuse for them not to keep following Gods Law. My question is, why?

Mind you that im not talking about animal sacrifices, dont think that, there are many laws of God that have nothing to do with animal sacrifices. Im talking about all those Laws ASIDE from the old priesthood system.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kasey said:
The point that I am trying to make is that Hebrews 9-10 specifically state that the Levitical Priesthood System was abolished. This system took care of all the animal sacrifices. People use this as the backbone of their belief that all of God's Law was done away with except just The Ten Commandments. They use this a justification and an excuse for them not to keep following Gods Law. My question is, why?

Mind you that im not talking about animal sacrifices, dont think that, there are many laws of God that have nothing to do with animal sacrifices. Im talking about all those Laws ASIDE from the old priesthood system.
I think these are good, but tough questions you raise--ones I still struggle to understand. I believe that Jesus said he came not to do away with any of the law, but to fulfill it, yet he also said that nothing that goes into the mouth can make you unclean, only that which comes out? I personally have not known many people who believe that the OT laws are done away with, yet most I know (including myself) will not follow all of the OT laws and use the reasoning, that was before Christ--I look forward to the answers here.

Upvote 0

Kasey

Mar 8, 2004
✟1,402.00
Faith
Christ did away with the animal sacrifices. Thats told in Hebrews 9-10, but there are many Laws that are not done away with and people say that they are when they are not.

Christ was talking to the Pharisees when talking about things that a man eats. They were complaining to him because Christ and his disciples did not wash their hands before they eat. Christ replied and say that its not what comes into the mouth of a man that makes him unclean, but what comes out of the mouth of man. The end result is by your words, you make action, and those actions can either be good or evil.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Kasey said:

The only laws that were done away with were the ones that pertained to the sacrificial system.

Much of Jewish life revolved around the sacrificial system. It was their whole life.

There were and are still many laws that do not come into this category. Some of these are the health laws.

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Kasey said:

Many of the laws you refer to were given because of the idolatrous practices of the nations around about.
Example: "do not boli a kid goat in it's mothers milk" a law given because of a pagan practice of attempting to ensure a good outcome with the flocks breeding.
Macca. :holy:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Thadman

Jul 3, 2002
✟2,318.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
#1) Not one jot or tittle of the Torah could not possibly be abolished until ALL things came to pass. These were Jesus' words.

Has he come in the clouds in glory for all men to see, and is he currently ruling over the earth in the Messianic Kingdom? Has the Antichrist come and gone? Do people no longer die?

Not everything has happened yet.

#2) Sacrifices continued even after Jesus was dead.

Jesus charged lepers to give the proper sin sacrifices at the temple when he cleansed them.

Paul in Acts made sacrifices in the Temple for 4 men who were taking Nazarite vows. Quite interestingly enough, Nazarite vows require sin sacrifices, and Paul offered every sacrifice up for them.

It seems to be that the whole of Torah is still in place.

We cannot perform sacrifices as there is currently no place that is known that God has let his name rest since the destruction of the Temple. To perform sacrifices anywhere else is Bibilically forbidden.

The other commandments, however, such as the Social Laws, Tzityot (Tassels), Dietary Tahor (what later became "Kosher" in Rabbinic Judaism), Ritual Tahor ("Ritual Purity"), Holidays (Passover, Succot, etc.), Sabbath Observance and others can still be followed, Biblically.

Peace!
-Steve-o

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.