✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Repent & confess every sin?

Jesus added thoughts to the law (Matt 5:28). So, this notion we must confess & ask forgiveness for every sin isn't possible & shows a lack of faith.

When the Holy Spirit reveals a sin, of course we should change direction/repent. Not begging for forgiveness, but, thanking/praising God for the forgiveness already provided. Found in Christ's Once for all time sinless perpetually cleansing God-blood sacrifice we've been washed with.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
(MY NOTE: The key to this verse is found in the article "TOWARD". Repentance TOWARD God & faith TOWARD Christ)

Jn 12:22 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw """all""" men unto me.
(MY NOTE: Jesus was in fact lifted up on a cross & lifted/resurrected from the grave & will draw ALL to Himself)

Jn 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit will reprove/expose/convict everyone of, sins? NO of "SIN" singular.)

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
(MY NOTE: The only SIN that condemns one to eternal separation/damnation is UNBELIEF/rejecting Christ's sin atoning sacrifice & resurrection until life's end. Faith in Jesus sin payment & resurrection takes away/removes every other sin)

Ok, we've all have broken God's law (Rom 3:23). No one can say he is not a sinner until some means is provided (not to take away the law) but to remove the sin, which is the transgression of the law. Faith placed in Jesus sin payment & resurrection takes away/removes (Jn 1:29) ALL our sin. Once our sins have been removed, there is no transgression of the law.

1 Cor 15
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
(MY NOTE: Jesus blotted out the sin ordinances invoked in Mosaic law [Deut 28] for every believer & nailed them to His cross [Col 2:14]

Jn 8:24 Jesus said; ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Jesus added thoughts to the law (Matt 5:28). So, this notion we must confess & ask forgiveness for every sin isn't possible & shows a lack of faith.
In Galatians 4:4, Jesus was born under the law, so he was obligated to obey it, which includes Deuteronomy 4:2, which prohibits adding to or subtracting from the law, so Jesus did not add anything to it. Rather, if we correctly understand what is being commanded by the 7th and 10th Commandments against adultery and coveting in our hearts, then we won't look at a married woman with lust in our hearts.
When the Holy Spirit reveals a sin, of course we should change direction/repent. Not begging for forgiveness, but, thanking/praising God for the forgiveness already provided. Found in Christ's Once for all time sinless perpetually cleansing God-blood sacrifice we've been washed with.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
(MY NOTE: The key to this verse is found in the article "TOWARD". Repentance TOWARD God & faith TOWARD Christ)

Jn 12:22 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw """all""" men unto me.
(MY NOTE: Jesus was in fact lifted up on a cross & lifted/resurrected from the grave & will draw ALL to Himself)

Jn 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit will reprove/expose/convict everyone of, sins? NO of "SIN" singular.)

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
(MY NOTE: The only SIN that condemns one to eternal separation/damnation is UNBELIEF/rejecting Christ's sin atoning sacrifice & resurrection until life's end. Faith in Jesus sin payment & resurrection takes away/removes every other sin)

Ok, we've all have broken God's law (Rom 3:23). No one can say he is not a sinner until some means is provided (not to take away the law) but to remove the sin, which is the transgression of the law. Faith placed in Jesus sin payment & resurrection takes away/removes (Jn 1:29) ALL our sin. Once our sins have been removed, there is no transgression of the law.
In 1 John 3:4, sin is defined as the transgression of God's law, and this is what the Spirit convicts us of because in Ezekiel 36:26-27, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey God's law. In John 16, Jesus had not yet died on the cross or been resurrected, so you are retroactively inserting your theology into that verse.

1 Cor 15
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
(MY NOTE: Jesus blotted out the sin ordinances invoked in Mosaic law [Deut 28] for every believer & nailed them to His cross [Col 2:14]

Jn 8:24 Jesus said; ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
In Romans 7:7, Paul said that God's law is not sinful, however, a law that is the strength of sin is sinful, therefore 1 Corinthians 15:56-57 is not referring to God's law. Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins, so it was the list of our sins that was nailed to his cross, and he died in our place, but there were no laws nailed to his cross. In Titus 2:14, Jesus did not give himself to free us from any laws, but in order to free us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what he accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20).

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1. What Jesus did not say in Matt 5:28 - is "so don't confess and repent of your sins"
2. When God said "Do not covet" He was included thought laws/sins/crimes in "what is sin" - Matt 5:28 is nothing new
When the Holy Spirit reveals a sin, of course we should change direction/repent
And we should claim forgiveness

next chapter --

Matt 6
9 “Pray, then, in this way:

‘Our Father, who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.’

14 For if you forgive other people for their offenses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive other people, then your Father will not forgive your offenses.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For some its a catch 22. Christ died for past present and future sins. OT God said He will remember their sin no more. So if you sin and don't repent He does not forgive you for something He already died paid the price for? He's going to hold it against you? Oh "if you don't forgive you Father will not forgive you". That's not exactly what you think it means. Search it more.

Sin always gives the enemy the right to work in our lifes. Most never remember ever sin they have done so they can confess it. There are times I ask Him to forgive me for the sins I don't remember and not to hold them to my account. Well I have been forgiven I just have no right to sin. Then we forget Matt-John there were not Christians no Church all were living by and under the law. Sorry we just can't read it and then take it as if Christ was talking to "Christians" all along

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
2 Judgment Day's where people will stand before the Lord?

1) Judgment seat of Christ (2 Cor 5:10) = Believers Only - 2 Cor 5:10 - Cor written to believers see 1 Cor 1:2

2) White Throne Judgment (Rev 20:11) = Non-believers - Anyone that rejected Christ's sin payment & resurrection until life's end/death.

1 Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
(MY NOTE: Sin is the transgression of Gods law.)

We've all broken God's law & deserve it's sentence invoked in (Rom 6:23 = DEATH).

No one can say their not a sinner until some means is provided (not to take away the law) but to remove the sin, which is the transgression of God's law.

Faith placed in Christ's sin atoning death (sins required wage PAID), burial (proof Jesus died) & resurrection (Father God's receipt, sin's required wage/payment received & accepted).

Takes away/removes & forgives/pardons: ALL of the believers sins Past-Present-Future. All the believers sins are IMPUTED (Rom chap 4/Lev chap 4) onto Jesus. Jesus then imputes His righteousness on to the believer & they become the righteousness of God in/thru Christ (2 Cor 5:21)

Having had their sin removed, at the Judgment seat of Christ, the discussion is rewards, NOT, sin/judgment based.

Col 1:10 so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
(NOTE: [Col 1:2 written to believers] When believers stand before the judgment [bema] seat of Christ. Every good work done in Christ's name, will receive a reward. Even a cold drink of water given in Jesus name (Matt 10:22). Sin judgment isn't the focus here, Jesus paid for & removed ALL the believers sins [Past-Present-Future]. Rewards are the focus at the Judgment seat of Christ)

1 Cor 3:8-14 Good works receive a reward. Bad or No works [hay, wood, stubble, all are dead works - 1 Cor 3:11-15) result in shame & or loss of rewards (Matt 25:28) take the talent, I gave him, & give it to another, that worked).

1 Cor 3:15 If anyone’s work is burned up, "he will suffer loss", "though he himself will be saved"
(NOTE: Hay, wood & stubble deeds/bad or No works/dead [1 Cor 3:11-15] will bring, shame & loss = of REWARDS not SALVATION)

Rereading verse 15: He/the Spirit indwelt believer "Will SUFFER LOSS", though he "HIMSELF WILL BE SAVED"

This doesn't mean post New covenant conversion/salvation, sin never carries a consequence. Having said that, loss of salvation isn't one on those consequence (1 Cor 3:15).

Consequence from sinning post-conversion/salvation could manifest itself, in many different ways. A health issue, a broken relationship, prison, disease, lost heavenly rewards earned etc.

There is only 1 unforgivable sin = lack of Faith/REJECTING Christ's sin atoning sacrifice & resurrection.

Good works & obedience are the evidence of your Faith not the cause of ones salvation.

Rom 1:5 "Through him we received grace" & apostleship "to call all the Gentiles to the obedience" "that comes from faith" for his name’s sake.
(MY NOTE: Faith in Jesus sin atoning work & resurrection lead to our obedience, for HIS Name's sake)

Rom 16:26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, "so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience" "that comes from faith"
(MY NOTE: Thru our Faith in Jesus sin atoning work & resurrection. Christ's Gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit will lead us obedient/godly behavior.)

Act 3:25 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.
(NOTE: It's Faith in the risen Christ's sin atonement. That frees believers from sins grip & enables them to repent/turn from their sin)

Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches "of his goodness" and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that "the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance"?
(NOTE: It's thru the GOODNESS of GOD not thru OUR OWN great work of sin repentance, obedience or self-control. That we REPENT/change our thinking/course. It's salvations seal of indwelling Holy Spirit that leads us to REPENT/change our thinking outlook & direction).

1 Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(NOTE: Anyone that believes they can conquer their own sin nature, without Gods help is mistaken)

Upvote 0