• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Dr. Fauci estimates about 100-200 thousand deaths due to COVID-19 in the US

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by TLK Valentine, Mar 29, 2020.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+20,667
    Agnostic
    Single
    Dr. Fauci predicts 100K to 200K Americans will die from COVID-19

But think of how good that will be for the economy!

Thoughts?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Kentonio

Kentonio Well-Known Member

+6,903
    France
    Atheist
    Single
    Makes sense. They're predicting the best case scenario for the UK will be 20,000 deaths.

3. Jonathan Walkerin

Jonathan Walkerin Well-Known Member

+1,570
    Sweden
    Catholic
    Married
    Few years and people will have mostly forgotten those 100000. There is always new crisis and those deaths will be divided over a longer period of time without anything as dramatic as skyscrapers falling down.

4. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,985
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Depends on if anything else major happens and how bad it gets. The scenes playing out in NYC emergency rooms won't be forgotten too easily. The Spanish flu was forgotten because of WW1.

5. dogs4thewin

dogs4thewin dog lover Supporter CF Ambassadors

+4,279
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Well, may or may not be true, but I am also keeping an eye on the recoveries which remember are less likely to be reported than deaths. So far of REPORTED cases there have been roughly 2,000 more recoveries than deaths. Moreover, since it takes between five days and two weeks to get the test results back and one have to have two negative tests in as many days to be considered recovered that means that just as there are several days to weeks in lag of positive tests so too with negative tests. Again, by NO means am I saying this is not serious, but the fact that we do not know how many people have it due to lack of tests and lag time we have even less of an idea of how many have recovered with no test. NOT saying that this is not serious or even that he is certainly wrong only that not only are most people REPORTED recovering, but most people are recovering without ever BEING reported. You have to look at BOTH sides to be realistic. For the record, I personally have not left my yard in nearly three weeks and my mother and sister have only done so for very important tasks such as food and medicine ( my sister left one time, but just drove and did not get within six or even 20 feet of anyone.

6. expos4ever

expos4ever Well-Known Member

+4,033
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    According to the CDC, about 1 out of every 100 Americans who entered 2017 alive died sometime during that year. If we assume 150,000 deaths (splitting the difference between 100,000 and 200,000) this year (granted, an assumption), then Covid-19 multiplies the number of deaths by a factor of about 1.5 - 50% more Americans will die in 2017 than would have died in the absence of the Covid-19 crisis. Of course, it needs to be acknowledged that some who will die of Covid-19 will therefore be "prevented" from dying some other cause they would otherwise have died from. So the 50% figure should be reduced a bit. There are other variables, of course.

Bottom Line: The incremental number of deaths - those who would not have died if there were no coronavirus - is significant.

7. dogs4thewin

+4,279
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Also, I wonder how many people that "died from the virus" truly died from the virus as opposed to WITH the virus; this is specially true of older people who have underlying conditions.

8. expos4ever

+4,033
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    They won't let you in the house? :wave:.

9. dogs4thewin

+4,279
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    The same thing that made it worse.

10. dogs4thewin

+4,279
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    no I have left the house to get some fresh air, but have NOT left the yard outside the house.

11. expos4ever

+4,033
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Good point. In principle, this question could be answered.

The key thing, I think, is that we put to bed these inane claims some are making to the effect that this is just like the flu.

12. dogs4thewin

+4,279
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Although, it is more likely that the same "type" of people will end up passing.

13. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+14,027
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    By that logic we could drastically reduce the death rates from cancer and other diseases wher the person died from an opportunistic infection or had a stroke or heart attack.

AKA, how to mislead with statistics.

14. expos4ever

+4,033
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Good point, but I almost guarantee that Covid-19 is more deadly to younger people than the flu is - a 40 year old will be significantly more likely to die if they get Covid-19 than if they get the regular flu.

15. Akita Suggagaki

Akita Suggagaki Well-Known Member

+802
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
  16. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,275
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Many of those 'type' of people, such as myself, have been vaccinated against the flu and pneumonia so our chances of dying from complications from the flu are greatly reduced. But the CoV-19 ...

17. SaintCody777

SaintCody777 A wise Berean

+266
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    But didn't the surgeon general said that the regular, seasonal flu is much more deadly to a child, teen, or young adult than COVID-19?
    However, I do acknowledge that if even a regular, seasonal flu, can kill a healthy teen or young adult with no pre-existing conditions (eg asthma, diabetes), like Shannon Zwanziger
    Shannon Zwanziger: Flu Epidemic Horrors Showcased In Teen's Sudden Death
    Then certainly, so could COVID-19, even though it may be true that the majority of those who get critically sick or die from the virus are either senior citizens or have certain pre-existing health conditions.
    Coronavirus in France: healthy 16 year-old dies of COVID-19
    PolitiFact - Young people are being hospitalized for COVID-19, too. Let’s look at the numbers
    As for China, the REAL death toll in the People's Republic of China may be way higher than what's officially reported there
    Billionaire Whistleblower: Wuhan Coronavirus Death Toll Is Over 50,000
    If already at least 50,000 people died from COVID-19 in China by early Februrary, imagine how much more now.

18. dogs4thewin

+4,279
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I understand that, but the fact is that older people are more likely to die when they DO get things like the flu. It is still not very common and it is still possible to die if you are younger and otherwise healthy, but if you take everyone who died of the flu in any particular year you will find that for the most part those people tend to be older and/or have underlying issues.

19. JohnAshton

JohnAshton Well-Known Member

+1,547
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
  20. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,275
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Did they die from the flu or did they die WITH the flu?
    I would say that they died from the flu because many of them had conditions that would not have killed them for many years or not at all.