Dr. Fauci estimates about 100-200 thousand deaths due to COVID-19 in the US

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Dr. Fauci predicts 100K to 200K Americans will die from COVID-19

As the White House looks for ways to restore normalcy in parts of the U.S., the government's foremost infection disease expert says the country could experience more than 100,000 deaths and millions of infections from the coronavirus pandemic.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, speaking on CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday, offered his prognosis as the federal government weighs rolling back guidelines on social distancing in areas that have not been as hard-hit by the outbreak at the conclusion of the nationwide 15-day effort to slow the spread of the virus.

"I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 cases," he said, correcting himself to say he meant deaths. "We're going to have millions of cases." But he added "I don't want to be held to that" because the pandemic is "such a moving target."

But think of how good that will be for the economy!

Thoughts?

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟883,825.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dr. Fauci predicts 100K to 200K Americans will die from COVID-19

But think of how good that will be for the economy!

Thoughts?
Well, may or may not be true, but I am also keeping an eye on the recoveries which remember are less likely to be reported than deaths. So far of REPORTED cases there have been roughly 2,000 more recoveries than deaths. Moreover, since it takes between five days and two weeks to get the test results back and one have to have two negative tests in as many days to be considered recovered that means that just as there are several days to weeks in lag of positive tests so too with negative tests. Again, by NO means am I saying this is not serious, but the fact that we do not know how many people have it due to lack of tests and lag time we have even less of an idea of how many have recovered with no test. NOT saying that this is not serious or even that he is certainly wrong only that not only are most people REPORTED recovering, but most people are recovering without ever BEING reported. You have to look at BOTH sides to be realistic. For the record, I personally have not left my yard in nearly three weeks and my mother and sister have only done so for very important tasks such as food and medicine ( my sister left one time, but just drove and did not get within six or even 20 feet of anyone.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟247,792.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
According to the CDC, about 1 out of every 100 Americans who entered 2017 alive died sometime during that year. If we assume 150,000 deaths (splitting the difference between 100,000 and 200,000) this year (granted, an assumption), then Covid-19 multiplies the number of deaths by a factor of about 1.5 - 50% more Americans will die in 2017 than would have died in the absence of the Covid-19 crisis. Of course, it needs to be acknowledged that some who will die of Covid-19 will therefore be "prevented" from dying some other cause they would otherwise have died from. So the 50% figure should be reduced a bit. There are other variables, of course.

Bottom Line: The incremental number of deaths - those who would not have died if there were no coronavirus - is significant.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟883,825.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to the CDC, about 1 out of every 100 Americans who entered 2017 alive died sometime during that year. If we assume 150,000 deaths (splitting the difference between 100,000 and 200,000) this year (granted, an assumption), then Covid-19 multiplies the number of deaths by a factor of about 1.5 - 50% more Americans will die in 2017 than would have died in the absence of the Covid-19 crisis. Of course, it needs to be acknowledged that some who will die of Covid-19 will therefore be "prevented" from dying some other cause they would otherwise have died from. So the 50% figure should be reduced a bit. There are other variables, of course.

Bottom Line: The incremental number of deaths - those who would not have died if there were no coronavirus - is significant.
Also, I wonder how many people that "died from the virus" truly died from the virus as opposed to WITH the virus; this is specially true of older people who have underlying conditions.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟883,825.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Depends on if anything else major happens and how bad it gets. The scenes playing out in NYC emergency rooms won't be forgotten too easily. The Spanish flu was forgotten because of WW1.
The same thing that made it worse.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟883,825.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟247,792.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, I wonder how many people that "died from the virus" truly died from the virus as opposed to WITH the virus; this is specially true of older people who have underlying conditions.
Good point. In principle, this question could be answered.

The key thing, I think, is that we put to bed these inane claims some are making to the effect that this is just like the flu.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟883,825.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

The key thing, I think, is that we put to bed these inane claims some are making to the effect that this is just like the flu.
Although, it is more likely that the same "type" of people will end up passing.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

By that logic we could drastically reduce the death rates from cancer and other diseases wher the person died from an opportunistic infection or had a stroke or heart attack.

AKA, how to mislead with statistics.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟247,792.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good point, but I almost guarantee that Covid-19 is more deadly to younger people than the flu is - a 40 year old will be significantly more likely to die if they get Covid-19 than if they get the regular flu.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟277,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jvp200059t1.png

If you get it, here are your chances by age.
COVID-19 Case-Fatality Rate and Characteristics of Patients Dying in Italy

so I am 65. 3.5 - 3.6% fatality

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,095,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many of those 'type' of people, such as myself, have been vaccinated against the flu and pneumonia so our chances of dying from complications from the flu are greatly reduced. But the CoV-19 ...

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Good point, but I almost guarantee that Covid-19 is more deadly to younger people than the flu is - a 40 year old will be significantly more likely to die if they get Covid-19 than if they get the regular flu.
But didn't the surgeon general said that the regular, seasonal flu is much more deadly to a child, teen, or young adult than COVID-19?
However, I do acknowledge that if even a regular, seasonal flu, can kill a healthy teen or young adult with no pre-existing conditions (eg asthma, diabetes), like Shannon Zwanziger
Shannon Zwanziger: Flu Epidemic Horrors Showcased In Teen's Sudden Death
Then certainly, so could COVID-19, even though it may be true that the majority of those who get critically sick or die from the virus are either senior citizens or have certain pre-existing health conditions.
Coronavirus in France: healthy 16 year-old dies of COVID-19
PolitiFact - Young people are being hospitalized for COVID-19, too. Let’s look at the numbers
As for China, the REAL death toll in the People's Republic of China may be way higher than what's officially reported there
Billionaire Whistleblower: Wuhan Coronavirus Death Toll Is Over 50,000
If already at least 50,000 people died from COVID-19 in China by early Februrary, imagine how much more now.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟883,825.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Many of those 'type' of people, such as myself, have been vaccinated against the flu and pneumonia so our chances of dying from complications from the flu are greatly reduced. But the CoV-19 ...
I understand that, but the fact is that older people are more likely to die when they DO get things like the flu. It is still not very common and it is still possible to die if you are younger and otherwise healthy, but if you take everyone who died of the flu in any particular year you will find that for the most part those people tend to be older and/or have underlying issues.

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,095,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand that, but the fact is that older people are more likely to die when they DO get things like the flu. It is still not very common and it is still possible to die if you are younger and otherwise healthy, but if you take everyone who died of the flu in any particular year you will find that for the most part those people tend to be older and/or have underlying issues.
Did they die from the flu or did they die WITH the flu?
I would say that they died from the flu because many of them had conditions that would not have killed them for many years or not at all.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0