Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did they die from the flu or did they die WITH the flu?
I would say that they died from the flu because many of them had conditions that would not have killed them for many years or not at all.
That still does not address the FACT that there are certain health conditions that make you like likely to pass from the flu ( though it is not common or they young otherwise healthy people can in fact die from the flu, but if you took all the people who die from flu complications in a particular year you will find that the vast majority of them were older or have underlying conditions. With this condition the same applies young otherwise healthy people can and do pass away from it, but the stats remain that most of the deceased fit a particular "profile" of being older and/or having underlying conditions.

• Prayers
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm calling the next talking point now:

<insert larger number here> Americans die each year from <insert cause of death here> so what's the big deal with this?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Also, I wonder how many people that "died from the virus" truly died from the virus as opposed to WITH the virus; this is specially true of older people who have underlying conditions.

True. The virus may have been the 'last straw'.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good point. In principle, this question could be answered.

The key thing, I think, is that we put to bed these inane claims some are making to the effect that this is just like the flu.

It is kinda like the swine flu isn't it?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But think of how good that will be for the economy!

Thoughts?

An economic disaster also has the potential of killing lots of people in the breakdown of social order for example....

I guess you'll have to pick one to save with the outcome of less human deaths.

This is really the biggest flaw of our current economic system (which many Americans happen to worship as their god)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obviously not in the sense that matters - Covid-19 is imposing many more demands than the swine flu did.

Perhaps because the swine flu, or the flu pandemic of 2018-2019 (were they even called a pandemics?) wasn't taken very seriously. Likely because of the political climate at the time.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps because the swine flu, or the flu pandemic of 2018-2019 (were they even called a pandemics?) wasn't taken very seriously. Likely because of the political climate at the time.
Obviously not: Covid-19 is obviously much more of a threat. Come on, man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps. We'll just have to wait and see.
The point is that regardless of the number of deaths, Covid-19 has prompted a response that utterly dwarfs the response to swine flu. Surely that must tell us something.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps. We'll just have to wait and see.

You really believe that half the world is locking itself down including the US under a Republican President yet it’s not that severe a threat? Come on man, unless you're old enough to have survived the Spanish flu then you’ve certainly never lived through anything like this before.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You really believe that half the world is locking itself down including the US under a Republican President yet it’s not that severe a threat? Come on man, unless you're old enough to have survived the Spanish flu then you’ve certainly never lived through anything like this before.

I did have polio in 1951, but was fortunate that it wasn't paralytic for me. Many others weren't so lucky.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I feel it is not about the numbers. This whole corona-virus ordeal is bringing the Church back to the Lord and people who previously did not follow him begin to. It is a time when we can look deeper and trust that in the end, what will be will be. That Christ is in control and we are not.

Upvote 0

Big Boo

Ghastly
Mar 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
✟17,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Dr. Fauci predicts 100K to 200K Americans will die from COVID-19

But think of how good that will be for the economy!

Thoughts?

Mark 5:34 says that healing is possible with a sufficient amount of faith. The fact that so many people in the United States will die of the coronavirus—indeed, it could well be in the millions, not hundreds of thousands—testifies to the fact that our country is lacking in faith. Let me put it to you this way: if every single American prayed tonight, confessed their sins, and said, “Jesus, let our land be healed!” then the coronavirus would be gone from the United States tomorrow. The effect would be almost immediate, if not immediate. Faith is arguably the greatest medicine ever invented.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0