Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

• I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • I am an creationist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I am an creationist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟279,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think a new clade is formed any time a population splits into two distinct populations so, they be inserted into every taxonomic level. It might be confusing but it also is a grouping that reflects reality more than other ways of classifying organisms.
Yes, every level. USDA has a great site and doesn't include clades. It also gets confusing though with sub and super groups.
Welcome to the PLANTS Database | USDA PLANTS

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm an "evolutionist" by his description and I am also a Christian so I know he is wrong. I also know that trying to turn the creation/evolution discussion into a contest between theism and atheism is a dodge played by many creationists who are willing to abandon intellectual integrity for their cause.. It's the Big Lie of creationism, originated by the founder of modern creationism, Henry Morris: "The purpose of the theory of evolution is to deny the existence of God."

To clarify, i know there are christians that believe in evolution, what i think is, evolutionist say from they very mouth, that evolution is a self sufficient process capable of making humans, where is God in that? we know we have a soul inside, this soul and spirit has specific things about it, that works with our bodies, is not some mistic air going on, so, then, God didn't design our bodies also as well as our souls? and if he make it so nature would produce humans with evolution, that is design by him too. so he had in mind what humans would look like, so all the credit should be given to him, and not snatch it to give it to evolution.

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh,.. so you're NBB, and don't worry I already talked to him about this. Using different words but still. I really don't want this to turn into a messy argument. :(

ok, yes i was a bit 'concerned' the way he acussed me lets say, but i'm not going to fight, i'm usually calm and don't start fights.

• Agree
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
, that evolution is a self sufficient process capable of making humans, where is God in that? we know we have a soul inside, this soul and spirit has specific things about it, that works with our bodies, is not some mistic air going on, so, then, God didn't design our bodies also as well as our souls?

Science can't comment on things like souls, spirits, etc. Science can only deal with the physical aspects of biology.

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Science can't comment on things like souls, spirits, etc. Science can only deal with the physical aspects of biology.

But people who knows we have a soul can comment on how scientists think we are a brain developed by evolution, when in reality our intellect comes from our spiritual side.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,155,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't say learning about it makes me uncomfortable, although there might be aspects that do make people uncomfortable. While a little more speculative, I do love evolutionary psychology and it's helped me better understand myself and find contentment. Human neoteny is interesting, and helps give me a window into the possible relationships between men and women.

As a Christian, I remember watching television shows about evolution as a kid and liked and was fascinated by the content. My parents put a stop to me watching that and I learned to view it as evil. Accepting evolution was a major blow to my theism, so I had reasons to be uncomfortable because of that. Even then.. towards the end of my theistic days I was finding possible ways to incorporate evolution into my worldview and even thought it could contribute an interesting spiritual aesthetic. I wouldn't say I was ever one to feel uncomfortable learning that we are just animals, in fact probably the opposite.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Do you see anywhere where evolutoinist say evolution process needs something else to work? no... so no, don't accuse.
and you said i'm linking evolution with denying God? i don't say it denies God, it denies him of the credit of creation, and people think the universe doesn't need God since evolution can create us...
As a Christian I would have expected you to understand that divine providence transcends the mere naturalistic causes which science studies. Yes, there is something else going on, which believers know through faith and which is invisible to science.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
ok, yes i was a bit 'concerned' the way he acussed me lets say, but i'm not going to fight, i'm usually calm and don't start fights.

I think I'm going to tag @JohnDB on this one. I love him like another father and he's a really smart guy and I'm really curious what he has to say. Oh yeah and I'm personally a lover and not a fighter. :)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it denies him of the credit of creation,
That could only be true if God did not create Nature, the laws of nature like chemistry, that are presumed/understood to be behind any theorized natural thing that happens.

But God having created Nature -- then any kind of natural thing that happens (whether theorized evolution or whatever else) would only be His design in action. His.

So, when a planet orbits by gravity, that action, gravitation, is His design, not random Nature as if Nature happened without Him.

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That could only be true if God did not create Nature, the laws of nature like chemistry, that are presumed/understood to be behind any theorized natural thing that happens.

But God having created Nature -- then any kind of natural thing that happens (whether theorized evolution or whatever else) would only be His design in action. His.

So, when a planet orbits by gravity, that action, gravitation, is His design, not random Nature as if Nature happened without Him.

I mean in people eyes not in reality, God created us, but for a lot of people we are just animals that evolved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟997,851.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I don't have a problem with evolution, and I am a creationist. Evolution is simply the idea that organisms from the tiniest microbes to giant killer whales adapt and change over time because of their environments.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't have a problem with evolution, and I am a creationist. Evolution is simply the idea that organisms from the tiniest microbes to giant killer whales adapt and change over time because of their environments.

Yeah that's a part of evolution, but isn't it also the idea (that I don't agree with to a point) that humans came from monkeys?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I mean in people eyes not in reality, God created us, but for a lot of people we are just animals that evolved.
And for those people God didn't create us whether there is a theory of evolution or not--you can hardly blame the theory of evolution. No, what you've got here is an argumentum ad consequentiam, which is a logical fallacy and even so the consequences you are arguing to are imaginary.

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And for those people God didn't create us whether there is a theory of evolution or not--you can hardly blame the theory of evolution. No, what you've got here is an argumentum ad consequentiam, which is a logical fallacy and even so the consequences you are arguing to are imaginary.

Evolution is an offense to the truth in the least of their offenses.
Because i believe God created us like he wanted i also believe evolution is harmful, like i say for me is not even truth, so no i am not offending with ad argumentum ad bla bla.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟346,888.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah that's a part of evolution, but isn't it also the idea (that I don't agree with to a point) that humans came from monkeys?

That's not the idea at all. That's just a corruption of the fact that humans and monkeys share a common ancestor.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But people who knows we have a soul can comment on how scientists think we are a brain developed by evolution, when in reality our intellect comes from our spiritual side.

Yes our brains are the result of biological evolution. However, science cannot say anything about our "spiritual side". If you believe that is where our intellect comes from, that is a philosophical view that is outside of science.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
That's not the idea at all. That's just a corruption of the fact that humans and monkeys share a common ancestor.

I noticed that it says you're a Deist, what exactly does that mean?

Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,778.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes our brains are the result of biological evolution. However, science cannot say anything about our "spiritual side". If you believe that is where our intellect comes from, that is a philosophical view that is outside of science.

Philosophy is too a 'i say this because i like it thing' i don't know if you get what i mean, but no is not philosophycal, some christians can discern their souls, and after meeting the spirit of God there is not a doubt that we have one, is not philosophy. This stuff is supposed to be crazy to people who do not believe, but its not so crazy at all.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Philosophy is too a 'i say this because i like it thing' i don't know if you get what i mean, but no is not philosophycal, some christians can discern their souls, and after meeting the spirit of God there is not a doubt that we have one, is not philosophy. This stuff is supposed to be crazy to people who do not believe, but its not so crazy at all.

When I say it's philosophical, I'm talking about the fact we're dealing with metaphysics here (e.g. nature of existence and reality). Things like souls and spirits are not in the domain of science. Those are theological/philosophical discussions.

Upvote 0