• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured catholics, i am a protestant, i want to hear you

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by lambofgod43985889, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ☦Marius☦

☦Marius☦ Orthodox Hillbilly Supporter

+1,817
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    That was exactly the problem. People were partaking without being in proper repentance and faith, and were becoming extremely ill. Why would this specific ritual be so emphasized to be taken with caution if it is simply a symbol? I know when you say "literally become flesh and blood" you are getting hung up on the matter that makes up the bread and wine- but it is a mystical transformation- one of God. It is a Holy Mystery just like Baptism.

2. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    For salvation, yes, because only Christians are allowed to participate. But it is God's command, along with baptism, which is also completely unnecessary for a person to be saved.

3. Dave G.

Dave G. Well-Known Member

+2,848
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You're right, I shot that out before commenting. Cats above asked for scripture from another poster and I didn't want to butt in. It was on the broken body/broken bread. From the NKJV the body is mentioned directly but scriptures/bible versions differ when translating to English in particular, so I put up a few common translations that could be Catholic acceptable and protestant as well. And so you see the four I grabbed at random to which I believe the Douey is Catholic approved and in some places the NASB as well.

4. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+394
    Christian
    Married
    Ok, I have no problem with "Holy Mystery". And in most all the protestant churches I have partaken in, there is a period of time for repentance before the elements are received. I think you are too hung up on the word "symbol" though. Baptism is symbolic too, for most protestants. We don't believe the water literally saves you. Something can be symbolic and still be deeply meaningful. But, to Protestants, it's not something that has to be done to maintain your salvation.

5. ☦Marius☦

+1,817
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Jesus said, "I solemnly assure you, no one can enter into Gods kingdom without being begotten of water and Spirit" (John 3:5). At the ascension, our Lord commanded the apostles, "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations. Baptize them in the name of the father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you" (Matt. 28:19-20). In another account of the ascension, Jesus added, "The man who believes in [the good news] and accepts Baptism will be saved; the man who refuses to believe in it will be condemned" (Mark 16:16).

Seems necessary to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. ChristianForCats

+725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The mystery about baptism is doing it on children who are too young to understand Christianity and have faith, much less make a decision to follow Him.

7. ☦Marius☦

+1,817
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    What is the problem with "Holy Mystery"? There are things of God that are mysterious but are also Holy. Those are holy mysteries..

8. ChristianForCats

+725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Notice Jesus said "make disciples" before "baptize them." Protestants take not of the word order here and elsewhere in the New Testament, where baptism is written after a word about salvation.

9. ☦Marius☦

+1,817
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Cornelius had his entire household Baptized in the NT.

10. ☦Marius☦

+1,817
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Disciples of the Nation's.

11. ChristianForCats

+725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    What everyone in his family able to understand who Jesus is and why He should be followed?

Personal experience makes changing my mind impossible on this one. I was baptized as a baby. That was not helpful at all because it took me 20 years to accpet Jesus. Until age 17, I was an atheist. So what was my first baptism for? I decided to be baptized again after being saved, which is Biblical.

12. Anto9us

Anto9us Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,973
    United States
    Methodist
    Private
    US-Others
    Methodists use Welch' s grape juice, Episcopalians use wine.

Yew kin drink from a common cup, or little individual plastic cup - yer choice - and yew kin tare off a hunk of real bread or take a sorry little wafer as hard as a rock.

It is NOT "merely symbolic" IMO.

If coca cola and Oreo cookies were used, it would still be flesh and blood of Christ.

Musterion. Can't lean on our own understanding.

13. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,907
    Anglican
    Married
    but with some hesitation since their understanding of the matter is significantly different from the RC one.

Because that would defy the evidence that you yourself mentioned earlier.

14. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,907
    Anglican
    Married
    Perhaps the fact that you were baptized earlier made possible or helped in your eventual conversion.

15. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,907
    Anglican
    Married
    Well, about 1/4 or 1/5 of Christendom agrees with you. ;) It seems that there must be a counter-argument since Real Presence was the belief of ALL Christian churches until only 500 or so years ago.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,907
    Anglican
    Married
    I don't believe there is ANY denomination that agrees with this theory! LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+2,591
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Most of what Jesus did was scientifically impossible.

18. BNR32FAN

+2,591
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Only 500 years? I was thinking it was more like the first 1500 years.

19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,907
    Anglican
    Married
    Nope. There is no doubt, except perhaps for a few scattered, tiny, and persecuted cults here and there, that Christianity was united in believing in the doctrine called the Real Presence.

Gradually, of course, that consensus has come apart with Roman Catholics adopting Transubstantiation and Protestants going several other ways.

20. BNR32FAN

+2,591
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I did the same. I was baptized at 5 years old, although I wouldn’t say I was atheist, but I wouldn’t say I was Christian either. I didn’t actually accept Christ into my life until I was 38 years old and decided to be baptized again as a symbol of my conversion. I will say that I was baptized with the Holy Spirit before I was baptized the second time because I had already been born again and had become a new creation. So water baptism for me was not the changing point in my life both when I was a child and when I was an adult.