Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What did you mean by conferring grace and forgiving sins through baptism?

I think you have taken over this thread now and starting to bash Catholic beliefs. Thats a shame.

I am out of this thread now...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was saying we know Jesus is with the Father in Heaven because of the Ascension and therefore He cannot be our wine and bread at church.

Getting back to something that was written earlier...

then how can he be present with any gathering anywhere of 2 or more of us (his disciples) as Jesus says he is and as it is recorded in scripture?

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Getting back to something that was written earlier...

then how can he be present with any gathering of 2 or more of us (his disciples) as Jesus says he is and as it is recorded in scripture?

That is different. I am talking about the belief that Jesus IS the wine and bread at Communion.

If Lost is correct about me, I apologize.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is different. I am talking about the belief that Jesus IS the wine and bread at Communion.
Okay. So you are rejecting the RC belief but not the concept of Real Presence along with it (in principle at least). That's fair.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Okay. So you are rejecting the RC belief but not the concept of Real Presence along with it (in principle at least). That's fair.

I have never seen the term Real Presence anywhere except this thread, so I got confused a little bit. Yes, it is the Catholic belief that I object to. I hope simply saying that does not make anyone mad.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The question is obviously WHY do Catholics believe these things?

It's because they have power and wealth. I would think they are one of the richest, if not the richest, religion. They had power and wealth since the ancient days when Rome was an empire. Does the Pope really have a crucifix made of gold, the noble element?

One example of this power and what happened is Pope Gregory who ostracized Galileo for thinking the Earth revolved around the sun or heliocentrism. The Catholics believed in geocentrism and accused Galileo of blasphemy. Fortunately for Galileo, instead of death, he was put under house arrest.

For the sake of brevity, I post -- Chick.com: Is There Another Christ?.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Grape juice is a Protestant thing if I'm correct.

Not all. I've been to a Methodist church where the pastor dipped real bread in real wine for the adults. My current church does not have weekly communion and serves crackers and grape juice for communion.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's because they have power and wealth. I would think they are one of the richest, if not the richest, religion. They had power and wealth since the ancient days when Rome was an empire. Does the Pope really have a crucifix made of gold, the noble element?

That is not a reason to believe anything. If you believe Jesus is in your cup of wine it is only your thought and has nothing to do with money. That is why I am trying to get answers about the belief.
One example of this power and what happened is Pope Gregory who ostracized Galileo for thinking the Earth revolved around the sun or heliocentrism. The Catholics believed in geocentrism and accused Galileo of blasphemy. Fortunately for Galileo, instead of death, he was put under house arrest.

Galileo was forced to recant his statement about the Earth being round to save his life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not all. I've been to a Methodist church where the pastor dipped real bread in real wine for the adults. My current church does not have weekly communion and serves crackers and grape juice for communion.

That is not the way Jesus did it. Communion is always drinking the wine, then eating the bread.

My former church served broken pieces of crackers. The bread was unleavened, so that makes sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Are you all tired of seeing me here? I don't want anyone to think all I want to do is bash Catholics.

I think the perfect Communion would be drinking red wine first, then eating broken unleavened bread, on the pastor's command.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I wasn't saying all, just that it is only within Protestant /evangelical churches.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing that has helped me understand things that at one time felt weird or foreign, was "love". It's not exactly rational or visible, but it's real.

The same basic idea lead me from a very, very logical religion (Islam), to Christ. And now, love is helping me to love and believe along with the Catholic Church. Very slowly, but surely.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is not the way Jesus did it. Communion is always drinking the wine, then eating the bread.

My former church served broken pieces of crackers. The bread was unleavened, so that makes sense.

No wine. We get the grape juice in a little plastic cups and crackers and take it back to our seats. I think the crackers are gluten-free. Most eat and then drink. If I was served wine, then I would drink it quickly and then eat, the unleavened bread would be awesome, but I'm not going to wipe my mouth with a sleeve ;).

Upvote 0