temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
i don't know why you do(or believe) these things, i would like to know how do you feel doing these works, and if you feel nearer to god working like this.

#purgatory
#rosary
#transubstantiation (the conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining)
#mary and the saints as mediators between god and me.
#baptism since child
#penance for sins
#pope vicar of christ, infallibility of the pope
#sacraments:
>initiation
baptism
confirmation
eucharit
restored order of initiation
>sacraments of healing
penance and reconciliation
anointing of the sick
>sacraments of service
holy orders
matrimony
#demonic possessions
#apocryphal books
#sign of the cross

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You would get more better replies posting in the Catholic section here: One Bread, One Body - Catholic and it is not just Catholics that do much of those things either but Traditional Christians do them to like the Anglicans, Orthodox, Lutherans, etc

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a Traditional Christian, not Catholic but close so I hope it is okay for me to answer this

#purgatory – Because Scripture tells us that we will be purified I Corinthians 3:11-15. I love the way C.S. Lewis talked about Purgatory:

Our souls demand Purgatory, don’t they? Would it not break the heart if God said to us, “It is true, my son, that your breath smells and your rags drip with mud and slime, but we are charitable here and no one will upbraid you with these things, nor draw away from you. Enter into the joy.”? Should we not

reply, “With submission, sir, and if there is no objection, I’d rather be cleaned first.” “It may hurt, you know”—“Even so, sir.”

#rosary – To help contemplate what Christ went through. I myself say the Divine Mercy Chaplet Chaplet of the Divine Mercy - Wikipedia

#transubstantiation (the conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining) – That is what Catholics have termed the Real Presence of Christ. All Traditional Christians from Anglican to Orthodox and in between believe in the Real Presence as Christ told us in the Gospels. “This is my body” and “This is my blood”

#Mary and the saints as mediators between God and me. - That is wrong, there is only one mediator between God and man. That does not mean others can not pray for us like the Holy Mother and Saints as said in Hebrews “We have a great cloud of witnesses”. Do you ask other people to pray for you when you need it? Same thing Traditional Christians such as Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglicans along with others understand that those in Heaven can pray to as seen in Revelations.

#baptism since child – Do you mean infant Baptism? This has been done since ancient times ever since the Bible times and in the Bible where they Baptized whole families.

#penance for sins – Again in the Bible.

#sacraments: - They again have been done by the Ancient Churches and you can find more information online. We do the sacraments
>initiation
baptism
confirmation
Eucharist
>sacraments of healing
anointing of the sick
>sacraments of service
holy orders
matrimony

#demonic possessions – You don’t believe demons exist?
#apocryphal books – They are good to be read in my Church

#sign of the cross – It is a prayer

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i don't know why you do(or believe) these things, i would like to know how do you feel doing these works, and if you feel nearer to god working like this.

#purgatory
#rosary
#transubstantiation (the conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining)
#baptism since child
#penance for sins
#sacraments:
>initiation
baptism
confirmation
eucharit
>sacraments of healing
anointing of the sick
>sacraments of service
holy orders
matrimony
#demonic possessions
#apocryphal books
#sign of the cross
This may help.
http://archeparchy.ca/wcm-docs/docs/catechism-of-the-catholic-church.pdf

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

#purgatory
#rosary
#baptism since child
#penance for sins
#sacraments:
>initiation
baptism
confirmation
eucharit
>sacraments of healing
anointing of the sick
>sacraments of service
holy orders
matrimony
#demonic possessions
#apocryphal books
#sign of the cross
If you really want to know the answers to all those questions it will take a little study on your part. You are asking a lot all at once. Catholics take classes on this stuff before converting and not just a week or two.. But if you want just a general response then it is a good suggestion made above to do it in one of the Catholic forums. If you don't really want the answers then why ask the question ? So hopefully we can assume you are being sincere.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
#purgatory
1 Corinthians 3

via-creativeminorityreport.com_.jpg

I always find it strange that this is the specific thing which Protestants object to. I can't tell if they're bothered by the Transubstantiation as a modality or if they're more broadly skeptical of the Real Presence but don't understand the distinction between the Real Presence and Transubstantiation.

Strange.

Intercessory prayer is something which all Christians should believe in. Most Protestants do believe in it.

As with so many things, Protestants believe in something but Catholics believe in it more. In this case, Catholics do not see mortality as a barrier between us and a request for intercessory prayer.

#baptism since child
This "believer's baptism" thing is what needs to be justified, imo.

#penance for sins
Not all trips to Confession result in penance. Some do, some don't.

Here again we encounter an issue that Protestants will admit to believing in if they're pushed. Catholics simply believe in it more.

Christians generally believe that Sacred Scripture was written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. They also generally believe that the Holy Spirit guided the Early Church in recognizing the canon of scripture.

So right there we have identified two instances where the Spirit guided the Church. So really, the key issue is that Protestants seem to labor under the notion that at some vague, unknown point in history, the Holy Spirit ceased guiding the Church.

Meanwhile, Catholics see no reason to believe that the Holy Spirit has stopped guiding the Church and protecting her from teaching error with respect to matters of faith and morals.

#sacraments:
>initiation
This practice goes back to the ancient Church.

Um, don't you believe in baptism?

confirmation
I gather that you object to infant baptism. It would therefore be pretty illogical to also object to the sacrament of Confirmation, don't you think?

It goes back to St. John 6.

St. John 20:23 means something.

holy orders
The Church recognizes that some people are called to the priesthood as their vocation. I don't see why this would be a problem, particularly since other communities believe in something similar to this. As with so many things, I think it is Protestants who should justify their rejection of this (if they do reject it, that is).

matrimony
Um, you do believe in marriage, yes?

#demonic possessions
This is a very real and very dangerous thing. Even among most Protestants, I wouldn't think that believing in the possibility of a demonic possession would be controversial.

#apocryphal books
The argument for the abbreviated Bible which Protestants use seems to be "The Bible needed to have certain scriptures removed because those scriptures contradict scripture". Or something, idk.

Here again, I think the onus is on Protestants to justify why they have broken with over a millennium and a half of history and tradition by abbreviating their Bibles. Afaik, the Catholic Church and the Eastern Churches broadly agree on the canon of scripture.

#sign of the cross
This is a prayer that goes back to the ancient Church. To hear some Protestants talk about it, you'd think it's an obscene gesture or something.

I agree with the others, this belongs in OBOB.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is too Catholic-bashy

I don't think so. Nothing in the OP is an attack on the Catholic traditions. It is just an honest question.

Maybe this would look better:

Why do Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran Christians have these traditions and beliefs?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This thread will turn into a Catholic bashing one any time soon!

Best put in the Catholic only section.

I was seriously thinking about posting the same thread topic in OBOB but feared it would turn into people accusing me of Catholic bashing. The Statement of Purpose even says don't bash Catholics for any of their beliefs. But I agree this is not the right forum for it because the questions are not philosophical.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so. Nothing in the OP is an attack on the Catholic traditions. It is just an honest question.
I agree. For some reason, Catholics are not to be criticized but everyone else is fair game.

Maybe this would look better:

Why do Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran Christians have these traditions and beliefs?
I get the point, but although most of the points/issues are applicable to the Orthodox, hardly any of them apply to the Anglicans and Lutherans. They have mainly retained the style of worship that people associate with the Catholic Church but not the stuff the OP asked about.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I finally started a thread on this topic in OBOB and made it clear right off the bat the purpose is not to be critical of Catholicism. They get it and are being nice to me.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
1 Corinthians 3

View attachment 261384

I always find it strange that this is the specific thing which Protestants object to. I can't tell if they're bothered by the Transubstantiation as a modality or if they're more broadly skeptical of the Real Presence but don't understand the distinction between the Real Presence and Transubstantiation.

Strange.

Intercessory prayer is something which all Christians should believe in. Most Protestants do believe in it.

As with so many things, Protestants believe in something but Catholics believe in it more. In this case, Catholics do not see mortality as a barrier between us and a request for intercessory prayer.

This "believer's baptism" thing is what needs to be justified, imo.

Not all trips to Confession result in penance. Some do, some don't.

Here again we encounter an issue that Protestants will admit to believing in if they're pushed. Catholics simply believe in it more.

Christians generally believe that Sacred Scripture was written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. They also generally believe that the Holy Spirit guided the Early Church in recognizing the canon of scripture.

So right there we have identified two instances where the Spirit guided the Church. So really, the key issue is that Protestants seem to labor under the notion that at some vague, unknown point in history, the Holy Spirit ceased guiding the Church.

Meanwhile, Catholics see no reason to believe that the Holy Spirit has stopped guiding the Church and protecting her from teaching error with respect to matters of faith and morals.

This practice goes back to the ancient Church.

Um, don't you believe in baptism?

I gather that you object to infant baptism. It would therefore be pretty illogical to also object to the sacrament of Confirmation, don't you think?

It goes back to St. John 6.

St. John 20:23 means something.

The Church recognizes that some people are called to the priesthood as their vocation. I don't see why this would be a problem, particularly since other communities believe in something similar to this. As with so many things, I think it is Protestants who should justify their rejection of this (if they do reject it, that is).

Um, you do believe in marriage, yes?

This is a very real and very dangerous thing. Even among most Protestants, I wouldn't think that believing in the possibility of a demonic possession would be controversial.

The argument for the abbreviated Bible which Protestants use seems to be "The Bible needed to have certain scriptures removed because those scriptures contradict scripture". Or something, idk.

Here again, I think the onus is on Protestants to justify why they have broken with over a millennium and a half of history and tradition by abbreviating their Bibles. Afaik, the Catholic Church and the Eastern Churches broadly agree on the canon of scripture.

This is a prayer that goes back to the ancient Church. To hear some Protestants talk about it, you'd think it's an obscene gesture or something.

I agree with the others, this belongs in OBOB.
Too bad the reply is full of over and under tones and wasn't just straight up answers.

• Informative
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Too bad the reply is full of over and under tones and wasn't just straight up answers.
Another member has created a thread over in OBOB to which I replied with “straight up answers”.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Another member has created a thread over in OBOB to which I replied with “straight up answers”.

And it seems to have disappeared. I don't see the title there anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

It is not "the" thing Protestants object to. There are certainly others. I can't type for other Protestants on CF, but this is my reason: Jesus is in heaven, not on Earth. The wine and bread are on Earth. So how can the blood and body of Jesus actually be in the wine and bread, respectively? It does not make sense.

Of course I know Jesus said, "This is my blood" and, "This is my body." So I am not saying it is bad to believe what is scientifically impossible. Just not my thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe in a Real Presence, but have no explanation for it. Transubstanstian confuses me.

I try to keep an open mind on Perpetual Virginity of Mary. It is not a matter of dogma to me.

My main objection is to Papal authority. No reason I can see that Bishop of Rome is somehow "higher" than Orthodox Bishops - that is what makes no sense.

To me the Pope is not the "Vicar of Christ".

Catholics and Orthodox are simply OTHER DENOMINATIONS.

There is an Invisible Church, Methodists considered themselves "a true church among other churches", anyone saying "we are THE true church" I don't buy into.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0