• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

'Captain Marvel' presale tickets have already outpaced those of 'Wonder Woman'

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Feb 22, 2019.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+8,789
    Christian
    'Captain Marvel' presale tickets have already outpaced those of 'Wonder Woman'

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. USincognito

USincognito Milk-Bones for Cerberus is a cool album name Supporter

+13,585
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    To be fair Marvel movies are better than DC and this ties in to Infinity Wars so a lot of people will have to watch it to keep up.

3. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,841
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    "Brie Larson as Captain Marvel, the first female superhero lead for Disney's blockbuster comic book movie business, and 'the most powerful character' Marvel has come up with yet, according to the company's president."

Except "Captain Marvel" was DC character first. Marvel did NOT come up with the character.

upload_2019-2-22_8-56-37.jpeg [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc Eternal life is a free gift. Amen. Supporter

+2,391
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Can I ask a really stupid question? Who the hell is Captain Marvel? I've heard of Wonder Woman and many other super heroes like Superman, Spiderman...etc (I really liked the Superman and Spideran movies). But I've never heard of Captain Marvel is he an older super hero?

5. USincognito

+13,585
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    You might want to review the publication history. Captain Marvell was published by Fawcett comics and they were even sued by DC because the character resembled superman. The character name was sold to Marvrl in the 1960s and when DC rebooted the character identity, it was as Shazam, not Captain Marvel.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Dave-W

+15,841
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    He started out in the DC universe, and with the birth of the Justice League, he was put on Earth 2 to become part of the Justice Society (earth 2 equivalent of the League) That was BEFORE Marvel Comics even started up.

Apparently at some point Marvel Comics sued DC over the name, and DC decided to rename their character "Shazam." I am not sure if Marvel's character had any link (other than the name) to DC's character.

7. Dave-W

+15,841
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    But before that reboot, Captain Marvel was in DC comics. I remember having said comics.

8. Dave-W

+15,841
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    That was in the 1930s.

9. USincognito

+13,585
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    It wasn't DC though. It was Fawcett.
    Look at the publication history. 1939-1953 Fawcett. 1972-present DC.
    Captain Marvel (DC Comics) - Wikipedia

10. USincognito

+13,585
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    It's a top tier character as far as powers go, but doesn't have a regular publication or appearance in any MCU movies so far. Captain Marvel plays an important role the Infinity Wars.
    Captain Marvel (Marvel Comics) - Wikipedia

11. super animator

super animator Dreamer

+1,595
    Agnostic
    Hard to look forward to a movie when the leading actor has racist drama surrounding her.

12. Dave-W

+15,841
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    [​IMG]

DC referred to the guy on the right as Captain Marvel when they put him in their comics. Officially they had to call him Shazam. That was who I remember as Captain Marvel.

I was rather confused when I saw the guy in the middle on Marvel comics.

Never saw the lady on the left until just recently.

[​IMG]

13. Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc Eternal life is a free gift. Amen. Supporter

+2,391
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Oh so its kind of like the story of the Flash then. I've seen most of the episodes of The Flash on Netflix. There's like multiple worlds and The Flash can travel through time and stuff. Maybe I'll pick up this movie when it comes out on DVD.

14. Sistrin

Sistrin We are such stuff as dreams are made on... Supporter

+3,019
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The point here is there is no joy, no charm, to be found anywhere in any of the Captain Marvel movie trailers. That is due to a number of factors. One, Brie Larson's acting is as wooden as a rail post and as engaging as a tree stump. It is hard to become interested in a character who perpetually only has one look on her face, that of angry and more belligerent school marm. Two, it appears to be an attempt to reset the established narrative to the base line that none of what we have seen to date would have been possible without the obvious superiority to all men everywhere of this character.

After watching the trailers for this film I worry for Avengers 4 as well.

To date the MCU offerings have been relatively devoid of the promotion of social justice issues. Not so with this impending piece of crap. Larson even went on record stating she didn't want her press envoy to be comprised of too many white men, and she saw her role as an opportunity to promote both social justice and third-wave feminism.

I said this years ago, that as long as Stan Lee was alive the MCU would adhere to the core material but as soon as he was gone the movies would begin to reflect typical Hollywood agenda driven crap. They might as well call this movie Captain Social Justice Warrior.

15. USincognito

+13,585
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Principle photography finished July 6th 2018.
    Stan Lee died November 12th 2018.

And contrary to the Gamergate bro complaints on Reddit and 4chan, Marvel has had a social conscious for decades and when Carol Danvers took over the Captain Marvel suit, was basically a 1970s feminist role model.
    Kapow! Attack of the feminist superheroes

Marvel Comics Icon Stan Lee Talks Superhero Diversity And Creating Black Panther
    >> In 1972, when he became the publisher, he used his editorial page, 'Stan's Soapbox,' to speak to the comic book reader about social justice issues such as discrimination, intolerance, and prejudice." <<

Bold mine.

16. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+11,210
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    idk... It seemed to work out okay for Trump.

I find it laughable that people complain that *this* film has wooden characters, as if so many of the other MCU movies weren't also terrible. If you don't like the SJW agenda, fine. But it's not like it's lining up against a bunch of other cinematic masterpieces. I don't know how people watch the Avengers movies. Infinity War was a thin wisp of a basic story wrapped up in 2.5 hours of mindless fan service.

17. SummerMadness

+8,789
    Christian
    Threads like this are funny because it's clear that some people tell on themselves. :D

18. USincognito

+13,585
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    No Dave, you are completely wrong on this. Here's another source for the actual publication history, note that it's the exact same as I noted above and is found in both the DC and Marvel Captain Marvel Wikipedia pages.

It’s all because of the rights issues, and mainly because how Marvel Comics has the rights to the name Captain Marvel. Fawcett, publishers of the original Captain Marvel/Shazam comics, stopped making them in the ‘50s. In the ‘60s, Marvel Comics trademarked the name Captain Marvel for their own Kree alien superhero, which meant when DC licensed the Fawcett characters in 1972, they had the Fawcett character named Captain Marvel, but couldn’t call the comic Captain Marvel, so they used his transformation cry “Shazam!” for the title.​

Again.
    1. Fawcett was the publisher of the original Captain Marvel (aka Shazam) from 1939 to 1953.
    1.5 A lawesuit file by DC, not by Marvel against Fawcett because Marvel/Shazam was considered to be too similar to Superman. That lawsuit caused the Fawcett's trademark to lapse.
    2. Fawcett stopped publication of Captain Marvel in 1953 and there were no Marvel/Shazam comics published between 1953 and 1972 (see 4 below).
    3. In 1967 Marvel trademarked the name Captain Marvel and created the Kree military officer Mar Vell. Publication began in 1967.
    4. DC licensed Fawcett's characters in 1972 and began publishing Marvel/Shazam, but they had to title it "Shazam" because of Marvel's trademark.

I have no idea what you had, but you didn't have any DC published Captain Marvel comics. You might have had some early Shazam comics where they tried to get around the trademark with some clever editing.

WITH ONE MAGIC WORD
    SHAZAM!
    THE ORIGINAL CAPTAIN MARVEL
    [​IMG]
    They must have heard from Marvel's legal department because within a few issues that bottom line went from "The original Captain Marvel" to "The World's Mightiest Mortal".
    Issue #28
    >> Because Marvel Comics had by this time established Captain Marvel as a comic book trademark for their own character, created and first published in 1967, DC published their book under the name Shazam![5] Infantino attempted to give the Shazam! book the subtitle The Original Captain Marvel, but a cease and desist letter from Marvel Comics forced them to change the subtitle to The World's Mightiest Mortal, starting with Shazam! #15 (December 1974). <<
    [​IMG]

The guy in green, Mar-Vell the Kree military officer, was introduced in 1967, six years before the first publication of Shazam. And Captain Marvel in the red and blue suit was introduced in '68 or '69. Carol Danvers has been Ms Marvel since 1977 and Captain Marvel since 2012.
    Carol Danvers - Wikipedia

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  19. SummerMadness

+8,789
    Christian
    I think the tie-ins to movies are not as much a motivator as the movies themselves being pure quality. The DC movies also tie into each other... they're just not good.

I felt the same way about Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man (then again SNL clued me into his character :D). But the films were quite entertaining, so any new characters I haven't heard of should be fun, especially because Marvel Studios weaves together their movies so well.

I am looking forward to this film and how it fits with Infinity War: Endgame. I'm also curious to know if they really are going to have a three hour film with intermissions for Endgame.

It's also funny to see how films like this (last year it was Black Panther) make people tell on themselves. :p

20. SummerMadness

+8,789
    Christian
    I only remember Carol Danvers referred to as Ms Marvel in the X-Men TV series (apparently that's how Rogie got her powers). I never read the comics, butnit would be interesting of the Disney-Fix merger happens and they reboot X-Men for the MCU. I still don't think mutants and superheroes fit together, for some reason the feel of the franchises come across as something that should be separate.