Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,452.00
Faith
Christian
What? The Nolan Batmans were dark and gritty and everyone loved them. Some superheroes shouldn't be dark and gritty, I agree, but that doesn't mean only "man-babies" enjoy things that aren't brightly colored fluff.

In fact, I thought that was part of the criticism of the new Star Trek by many - that it was so busy being dark and gritty and not at all like the usual Trek.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,452.00
Faith
Christian
I actually like DC characters more (mostly because I loved watching Batman: The Animated Series growing up), but the current crop of films by Warner Bros is trash. They struck a nice tone with the Christopher Nolan films, but then ruined Superman by demanding he also be dark and gritty (something the man-babies seem to love, but no one else finds it appealing). After seeing Superman and Batman vs. a LOTR cave troll, I have ignored DC films, I am waiting for a spectacular failure to ensure a reboot.

Agree on both counts - we don't need dark and gritty everything (my favourite Superman movie is still the daggy original) and as for the superhero versus other superhero trend - just wake me when it's over

I finally took a glance at Wonder Woman on a flight awhile back, it wasn't horrible, but wasn't exciting either. Aquaman did well, but it still looks boring. I think Captain Marvel would be in the same boat, but I think playing off 90s nostalgia will probably help the film tremendously.

I really enjoyed Aquaman, to the point where I'd say it was a stand out amongst the recent crop of superhero movies (at least the ones I've seen) but like you found Wonder Woman to be so-so. Though I also watched it on a flight, so maybe it lost something, I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,452.00
Faith
Christian
Can I ask a really stupid question? Who the hell is Captain Marvel? I've heard of Wonder Woman and many other super heroes like Superman, Spiderman...etc (I really liked the Superman and Spideran movies). But I've never heard of Captain Marvel is he an older super hero?

I'm in the same boat. I'd never heard of Captain Marvel until this movie was announced and I've only become acquainted with other heroes like Iron Man and Black Panther as an adult - mostly through movie trailers.

Didn't read many comics as a kid, so to me "superhero" means Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Phantom, Captain America.

Oh - and Space Ghost. Let's not forget Space Ghost!

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm in the same boat. I'd never heard of Captain Marvel until this movie was announced and I've only become acquainted with other heroes like Iron Man and Black Panther as an adult - mostly through movie trailers.

Didn't read many comics as a kid, so to me "superhero" means Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Phantom, Captain America.

I've heard of all of those super heroes you mentioned. Including Captain America so it made me feel stupid that I didn't know who Captain Marvel. I remember Space Ghost! I used to watch his show when I was a kid but I don't remember what his show was about. I just remember what he looks like and his name. That and bird man. I used to watch his show on Cartoon Network back in the 90s too.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

I loved Space Ghost, including his talk show, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. :)

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
And just as with The Dark Knight, Rotten Tomatoes is forced to change their website because of man-children.

Rotten Tomatoes Removes 'Captain Marvel' Anticipation Score in Response to Trolls
After a weeks-long campaign to bomb a certain Rotten Tomatoes score for Captain Marvel ahead of the film's release, the review-aggregating website has seemingly disabled the feature on the website. Before the "Want To See" metric was removed, Captain Marvel reportedly had a 29% rating.

Though we previously reported it as the Audience Rating, the metric was, in fact, a score that monitored the percentage of fans who had an interest in seeing the movie — basically an anticipation ranking of sorts. An Audience Rating isn't available until after the movie has hit theaters.

At least this time they're not death threats.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No Dave, you are completely wrong on this. Here's another source for the actual publication history, note that it's the exact same as I noted above and is found in both the DC and Marvel Captain Marvel Wikipedia pages.

It’s all because of the rights issues, and mainly because how Marvel Comics has the rights to the name Captain Marvel. Fawcett, publishers of the original Captain Marvel/Shazam comics, stopped making them in the ‘50s. In the ‘60s, Marvel Comics trademarked the name Captain Marvel for their own Kree alien superhero, which meant when DC licensed the Fawcett characters in 1972, they had the Fawcett character named Captain Marvel, but couldn’t call the comic Captain Marvel, so they used his transformation cry “Shazam!” for the title.​

Again.
1. Fawcett was the publisher of the original Captain Marvel (aka Shazam) from 1939 to 1953.
1.5 A lawesuit file by DC, not by Marvel against Fawcett because Marvel/Shazam was considered to be too similar to Superman. That lawsuit caused the Fawcett's trademark to lapse.
2. Fawcett stopped publication of Captain Marvel in 1953 and there were no Marvel/Shazam comics published between 1953 and 1972 (see 4 below).
3. In 1967 Marvel trademarked the name Captain Marvel and created the Kree military officer Mar Vell. Publication began in 1967.
4. DC licensed Fawcett's characters in 172 and began publishing Marvel/Shazam, but they had to title it "Shazam" because of Marvel's trademark.

I have no idea what you had, but you didn't have any DC published Captain Marvel comics. You might have had some early Shazam comics where they tried to get around the trademark with some clever editing.

WITH ONE MAGIC WORD
SHAZAM!
THE ORIGINAL CAPTAIN MARVEL
683261.jpg

They must have heard from Marvel's legal department because within a few issues that bottom line went from "The original Captain Marvel" to "The World's Mightiest Mortal".
Issue #28
>> Because Marvel Comics had by this time established Captain Marvel as a comic book trademark for their own character, created and first published in 1967, DC published their book under the name Shazam![5] Infantino attempted to give the Shazam! book the subtitle The Original Captain Marvel, but a cease and desist letter from Marvel Comics forced them to change the subtitle to The World's Mightiest Mortal, starting with Shazam! #15 (December 1974). <<
683303.jpg

The guy in green, Mar-Vell the Kree military officer, was introduced in 1967, six years before the first publication of Shazam. And Captain Marvel in the red and blue suit was introduced in '68 or '69. Carol Danvers has been Ms Marvel since 1977 and Captain Marvel since 2012.
Carol Danvers - Wikipedia

You seem to have overlooked Monica Rambeau.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They have outpaced presales of DC rival "Wonder Woman" at the same point in the ticket sales cycle in 2017, according to Fandango.

That's not saying so much.

While "Wonder Woman" became a blockbuster based on rave reviews and audience buzz, "at this same point in the ticket sales cycle" most people expected "Wonder Woman" to continue DC's record of lackluster movies.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's a reason Captain Marvel will likely be accepted into the fray, along with the world building that integrates space and alien species... simply because Marvel laid the groundwork slowly with The Avengers and kept adding onto it (or maybe you could argue Thor, but the space vibe didn't really take root until Thor 2).

They're not launching Captain Marvel into that carefully created universe, however. The character will get at least initial good will because audiences think well of Marvel movies, but without the character having any ties to the current universe, the story had better be good.

And, unfortunately, they're not telling us anything about the story in the trailers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And just as with The Dark Knight, Rotten Tomatoes is forced to change their website because of man-children.

They are people expressing their opinions. However I understand, those opinions differ from yours therefore they must be belittled. God forbid you engage in actual debate.

No other movie in the history of the MCU has been promoted as this one has, as some form of social statement championing a victory Marvel first achieved back in the 1960's. Combine this with Larson's inane self-righteous comments and the "want to see" number on Rotten Tomatoes had dropped down to, according to at least one report, 27 percent. That is why Rotten Tomatoes disabled their rating functions, in an effort to help Disney protect their investment.

Tell me, SM, if Larson had stated she didn't want her press entourage to be comprised of too many Black people, how would you have responded?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I just saw it. It was fine. The writing and acting were pretty wooden but it at least told a coherent story that stands on its own unlike Infinity War, which was just a pile of inane, meaningless fan service.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You should be a film critic.

Their columns all have to hit a certain number of words. I don't know how to sufficiently pad out variations of "this movie sucks" without the profanities I wouldn't be allowed to use.

Reactions: Moral Orel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
*decide to hold off on reading the thread until I see the movie*

*finds this in the thread*

Their columns all have to hit a certain number of words. I don't know how to sufficiently pad out variations of "this movie sucks" without the profanities I wouldn't be allowed to use.

I am a professional movie critic.

Yes, there's an established word count. And yes, you do have to be pretty diplomatic about things.

But there are still ways to make it clear that you don't like something.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
As far as the film itself goes -

I found myself badly disappointed with the special effects and digital effects work. There are several scenes where you can tell that it's the actor or a model in front of a blue screen, and the 3D just makes it worse because you can see the differences in the layering more clearly.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
*decide to hold off on reading the thread until I see the movie*

*finds this in the thread*

I am a professional movie critic.

Yes, there's an established word count. And yes, you do have to be pretty diplomatic about things.

But there are still ways to make it clear that you don't like something.

haha, I was hoping you would see this and chime in. :-D

As far as the film itself goes -

I found myself badly disappointed with the special effects and digital effects work. There are several scenes where you can tell that it's the actor or a model in front of a blue screen, and the 3D just makes it worse because you can see the differences in the layering more clearly.

It's rare that I see an action movie where the VFX aren't distracting, but this one didn't bother me, except for a couple of scenes with the cat that were a little too obvious. Maybe it's because this movie felt cheaper-than-usual overall that I didn't mind the bad CG as much. It's usually ocean/weather fx and animal fur that really bug me, and those didn't really come up much in this.

Also, were the nods to T2 and Independence Day deliberate? I have to imagine they were, given all the '90s references.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This thread has had a clean. Please refrain from goading/flaming and keep your posts on topic.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0