'Black Panther' first reactions: It's 'astonishing,' 'iconic' and 'will save blockbusters'

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, it doesn't.

If that was your takeaway from the article, you're in no position to be criticizing anyone's intellectual prowess. The comparison being made was between how the two civilizations drew wealth and power by harvesting a mineral.

The article is comparing a fictional nation, which is supposed to be the most advanced in the world...with an African kingdom that mined gold and traded with Arabs and Portuguese.

It would be fair to say that relative to other African kingdoms it was pretty sophisticated for it's time. Compared to even the weakest of European states though...It's still ages behind in terms of advancement. Most of what we know about the place we know from the Portuguese. Their buildings were rock and clay...Their big towns and cities were a couple of kilometers wide. This isn't exactly Wakanda we're talking about here.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, it doesn't.

Why lie about it?

Mutapa's equivalent of Black Panther's precious "vibranium"? Gold. And lots of it.

If that was your takeaway from the article, you're in no position to be criticizing anyone's intellectual prowess. The comparison being made was between how the two civilizations drew wealth and power by harvesting a mineral.
An imaginary civilization and an imaginary mineral. What'll be next for NPR? Telling us how the Atlanteans improved the environment?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I chuckle a little, I can tell Black Panther has people feeling some type of way because their complaints and pseudo-outrage was missing when Thor: Ragnarok was released.

Christian Forums: 'Thor: Ragnarok' Hits Theaters with a Thunderclap
I don't remember any articles about how Asgard was like, "insert real country". Can you link one for me?

And what outrage? It's funny dude.

I do find it funny that you bring that up tho.

Wakanda is an ethnostate and Asgard is a diverse city with people of all colors.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't remember any articles about how Asgard was like, "insert real country". Can you link one for me?

And what outrage? It's funny dude.

I do find it funny that you bring that up tho.

Wakanda is an ethnostate and Asgard is a diverse city with people of all colors.
It's funny to call Asgard an ethnostate when people were complaining that it was not an ethnostate, despite it being a place that existed on Earth. Whereas if you were to look at places on Earth in the Marvel universe, it makes sense that Sokovia and Wakanda would primarily be made up of the people from that continent. Nonetheless, people on Asgard are not human, you can't really call them a diverse place because you are using the human construct of race.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Why lie about it?

An imaginary civilization and an imaginary mineral. What'll be next for NPR? Telling us how the Atlanteans improved the environment?
They compared how a place was powerful and successful due to control of a resource, they're not making anything up. You're just getting yourself twisted up over something that was not actually written, much like the complaints that the movie is not allowed to get negative reviews because no black movie can ever get poor reviews (hence the reason why Tyler Perry's movies are all above 90% on Rotten Tomatoes).

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's funny to call Asgard an ethnostate when people were complaining that it was not an ethnostate, despite it being a place that existed on Earth.
What? Whose calling Asgard an ethnostate?
Nonetheless, people on Asgard are not human, you can't really call them a diverse place because you are using the human construct of race.
Neither are the people in Wakanda.... they aren't real.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
They compared how a place was powerful and successful due to control of a resource, they're not making anything up.
It's the comparison to Wakanda which is the point. I know you're smart enough to know that.

You're just getting yourself twisted up over something that was not actually written, much like the complaints that the movie is not allowed to get negative reviews because no black movie can ever get poor reviews (hence the reason why Tyler Perry's movies are all above 90% on Rotten Tomatoes).
And now you're just strawmanning. Nobody said no black movie can ever get poor reviews.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
What? Whose calling Asgard an ethnostate?
Neither are the people in Wakanda.... they aren't real.
They are characters in a movie that takes place on Earth, they are human. Asgard contains humanoid characters, but they are not human. I never said people called Asgard an ethnostate, but they demanded that it be portrayed as an ethnostate (namely complaints about Idris Elba).

It's the comparison to Wakanda which is the point. I know you're smart enough to know that.

And now you're just strawmanning. Nobody said no black movie can ever get poor reviews.
They were comparing a fictional country to an African nation from the past, there is nothing wrong with that. This is pure reaching now.

As for the film not getting a good review (or doing well)...
"If it doesn't do good, then the movie was still great but the country was too racist to realize it, and Disney should be praised for daring to make such a film even in the face of opposition."

"There are already people (actually person) saying that all bad ratings of the movie is done by racist."

"If you're not black and you gave this film a poor review...you're going to be facing probably a hefty amount of accusations of racism."

It's quite simply a ridiculous argument, black movies (movies with a black cast and director) have gotten poor reviews before.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They are characters in a movie that takes place on Earth, they are human. Asgard contains humanoid characters, but they are not human. I never said people called Asgard an ethnostate, but they demanded that it be portrayed as an ethnostate (namely complaints about Idris Elba).

They were comparing a fictional country to an African nation from the past, there is nothing wrong with that. This is pure reaching now.

As for the film not getting a good review (or doing well)...
"If it doesn't do good, then the movie was still great but the country was too racist to realize it, and Disney should be praised for daring to make such a film even in the face of opposition."

"There are already people (actually person) saying that all bad ratings of the movie is done by racist."

"If you're not black and you gave this film a poor review...you're going to be facing probably a hefty amount of accusations of racism."

It's quite simply a ridiculous argument, black movies (movies with a black cast and director) have gotten poor reviews before.

That first critic to give it a bad review did face accusations of racism.

So either I have some magical future predicting abilities, or there was some validity to my point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Trump's America Spoils Black Panther's 100% Rotten Tomatoes Score

Going into further detail, Power suggests that Donald Trump plays a role in dragging down Black Panther, writing, “Fourteen months into the Trump presidency, Black Panther arrives on storm-clouds of hype and with the presumption that, as the first African-set Marvel movie, it will deliver a resounding high-kick to prejudice and decades of hierarchy, racial and otherwise, in blockbuster cinema. It is expected to stand for something bigger than itself. The strain is visible, especially in the performance of Chadwick Boseman as Prince T’Challa – the eponymous Black Panther.”

That's.... special.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The article is comparing a fictional nation, which is supposed to be the most advanced in the world...with an African kingdom that mined gold and traded with Arabs and Portuguese.

It would be fair to say that relative to other African kingdoms it was pretty sophisticated for it's time. Compared to even the weakest of European states though...It's still ages behind in terms of advancement. Most of what we know about the place we know from the Portuguese. Their buildings were rock and clay...Their big towns and cities were a couple of kilometers wide. This isn't exactly Wakanda we're talking about here.

Mutapa's heyday was in the 15th and 16th centuries, and it was mostly cut off from the rest of the developing world by the geography of central Africa. (if you're interested in that subject, this is a good book: Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia)

From what little I know of them, it sounds like they were doing all right for themselves. And besides, the relative levels of advancement and power of a lot of nations have shifted in the last 600 years. What did Hong Kong and Dubais look like 600 years ago? If you go back farther, China and India, have both been at the top and the bottom throughout history. Why couldn't Mutapa have had some kind of renaissance?

There's no denying that this is a fluff piece, but they're just talking about the inspiration for some of the story elements.

Why lie about it?

You tell me. You're the one who misquoted the article.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
FYI: The folks who made that claim 1.) sell DNA tests, 2.) pulled their data from a tv screen, and 3.) have been denounced by the original researcher as "unscientific".

King Tut Related to Half of European Men? Maybe Not
The King Tut DNA story - Gene Expression

I was just mocking the afro centrists. The ones like the guy in the video. It's from the know your meme gallery.

BTW, I read the "negative" review. It was 3 out of 5 and his complaints were a lack of action and a lack of humor to break up the serious moments. Not exactly a troll.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Mutapa's heyday was in the 15th and 16th centuries, and it was mostly cut off from the rest of the developing world by the geography of central Africa. (if you're interested in that subject, this is a good book: Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia)

I've read GG+S, and I consider it a hacky if not naive view of the development of modern civilizations. It's not wrong to think guns, germs, and steel influenced the direction of a lot of societies...but those influences pale in comparison to a lot of other factors (For example, language, culture, geography, and more importantly than any of those...ideas).

From what little I know of them, it sounds like they were doing all right for themselves. And besides, the relative levels of advancement and power of a lot of nations have shifted in the last 600 years. What did Hong Kong and Dubais look like 600 years ago? If you go back farther, China and India, have both been at the top and the bottom throughout history. Why couldn't Mutapa have had some kind of renaissance?

Are you interested in the answer to that question? Because I could answer it...but even the short version requires some consideration...and I don't want to get into it if you aren't genuinely interested.

There's no denying that this is a fluff piece, but they're just talking about the inspiration for some of the story elements.

Sure, my only objection is that people will read something like this...and then read the opinions of those claiming "Wakanda would be real if not for European colonialism!"...and then end up with this hyper-distorted unrealistic idea of history which they end up spreading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I chuckle a little, I can tell Black Panther has people feeling some type of way because their complaints and pseudo-outrage was missing when Thor: Ragnarok was released.

Christian Forums: 'Thor: Ragnarok' Hits Theaters with a Thunderclap

No one here feels any particular way about it. If you think that people mocking the afro centrists who are coming out in droves over it are against the movie, idk what to tell you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Was listening to a review for the film.

Minor spoiler

There's a scene where a bunch of black guys make monkey noise at a white guy who tries to talk, and then tell him that he is not allowed to speak because he's white.

...wat?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're attempting to take an article that is not serious and portray it as if it is serious. That's rich.
What in the world gives you the idea the article was satire?

They quote the reviewer in question...

Black Panther first review: 'It is expected to stand for something bigger than itself - the strain is visible' - Independent.ie

What do you know, the guys very second line is the same line quotes in the bleeding cool article.

Was he joking too?

What's "rich" is how defensive you are over this movie.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've read GG+S, and I consider it a hacky if not naive view of the development of modern civilizations. It's not wrong to think guns, germs, and steel influenced the direction of a lot of societies...but those influences pale in comparison to a lot of other factors (For example, language, culture, geography, and more importantly than any of those...ideas).

Maybe I'm mixing up some of his ideas with something I read elsewhere... But from what I recall, geography was a big part of his thesis. That's where the "germs" come in - the correlation between latitude and climate/biome makes east-west travel easier than north-south travel, and if you're not accustomed to, say, the germs found in a tropical climate, you're going have a tough time traversing it.

Are you interested in the answer to that question? Because I could answer it...but even the short version requires some consideration...and I don't want to get into it if you aren't genuinely interested.

Hmmm.... I didn't think I was interested, but now you've got me intrigued...

Wanna split the difference and give me a link to something that gets at what you're thinking of?

BTW, I read the "negative" review. It was 3 out of 5 and his complaints were a lack of action and a lack of humor to break up the serious moments. Not exactly a troll.

Yeah, idk why everybody's got their hopes pinned on this. Most comic book movies are mediocre, at best. I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be like Wonder Woman, where a bunch of people think the representation is amazing and the rest of us think the movie is weak.

I saw an interview with the lead actor talking about how he tried to develop an accent that would resemble something that would've developed in Africa had it not been colonized. (this was even before I knew that that was a theme of the whole movie) I thought that sounded like a cool idea, but when I heard the results, it just sounded like a bad attempt at a generic African accent.

Upvote 0