'Black Panther' Surpasses 'The Avengers' as Highest-Grossing Superhero Movie of All Time in U.S.

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think Infinity Wars will beat everything.
Of course,

Marvel has done a phenomenal job of actually tying all their movies together. So you get all of those audience pools combining.

Also, audiences appreciate the added complexity (one of the reasons Game of Thrones did so well). You have to make a time investment and once vested, it helps propel you to the next Marvel film and the next... And then there is the fact the movies are just well done, fun, and entertaining.

I think Infinity Wars are going to destroy the concept of the Blockbuster.

here are the top five movies "Total Gross". (Note Blank Panther still has some legs and won't be finished grossing money for another month) Dollar amount in Millions so 1,000 = 1 Billion

1 Avatar Fox $2,788.0
2 Titanic Par. $2,187.5
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $2,068.2
4 Jurassic World Uni. $1,671.7
5 Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,518.8

I predict Infinity Wars racks in $3B+ :clap: :bow: :ebil:

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'll be interested to see if that's true!

Also am I the only one who only cared to see Ant-Man after seeing the character in Civil War? It's a good movie, the villain is bad tho. Like Iron Man 1 villain bad.
I actually only saw half of Antman. I was watching it and was just very meh about the whole thing. I think I was burnt out on comic book movies when I saw it.

It wasn't a bad movie per say, just felt like more of the same to me at the time...

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I'll be interested to see if that's true!

Also am I the only one who only cared to see Ant-Man after seeing the character in Civil War? It's a good movie, the villain is bad tho. Like Iron Man 1 villain bad.
It's the winning Marvel formula that appears in several of their movies. I have a suit/powers/thing that makes me a hero, but there's this other guy that has a similar suit/powers/thing and he can't have it, so I have to fight him so I'm the only one with this suit/powers/thing. Iron Man 1-2, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America to a certain extent, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther. I give them credit for changing up how they tell the story, but it is essentially the same storyline for most of their origin movies.

I have started rewatching the movies before Infinity War, just for kicks, so far I got through the Phase One crowd, and by god, The Incredible Hulk is the worst of the pack.

Of course,

Marvel has done a phenomenal job of actually tying all their movies together. So you get all of those audience pools combining.

Also, audiences appreciate the added complexity (one of the reasons Game of Thrones did so well). You have to make a time investment and once vested, it helps propel you to the next Marvel film and the next... And then there is the fact the movies are just well done, fun, and entertaining.

I think Infinity Wars are going to destroy the concept of the Blockbuster.

here are the top five movies "Total Gross". (Note Blank Panther still has some legs and won't be finished grossing money for another month) Dollar amount in Millions so 1,000 = 1 Billion

1 Avatar Fox $2,788.0
2 Titanic Par. $2,187.5
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $2,068.2
4 Jurassic World Uni. $1,671.7
5 Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,518.8

I predict Infinity Wars racks in $3B+ :clap: :bow: :ebil:
I think pulling $3 billion would be amazing, but I don't see them pulling those numbers without a re-release. I think they can pull $2 billion though. Black Panther will definitely get things running because there was pretty much a lull after Captain America Civil War (I thought Doctor Strange was good, but not amazing). But given how Thor did an amazing job, followed by a massive showing by Black Panther, there is some good momentum.

And all the while, DC is wondering why they can't make Marvel money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's the winning Marvel formula that appears in several of their movies. I have a suit/powers/thing that makes me a hero, but there's this other guy that has a similar suit/powers/thing and he can't have it, so I have to fight him so I'm the only one with this suit/powers/thing. Iron Man 1-2, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America to a certain extent, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther. I give them credit for changing up how they tell the story, but it is essentially the same storyline for most of their origin movies.

I have started rewatching the movies before Infinity War, just for kicks, so far I got through the Phase One crowd, and by god, The Incredible Hulk is the worst of the pack.

I think the fact that they immediately found a different actor for Bruce Banner says everything that needs to be said about the Hulk movie.

• Agree
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0