'Black Panther' first reactions: It's 'astonishing,' 'iconic' and 'will save blockbusters'

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I was reading this article and it touches on some points I was making about Wakanda and its relationship to the world, but they frame in terms of the first MCU movie.

With Black Panther, The MCU Finally Steps Out Of Iron Man's Shadow
It's hard to overstate the importance of 2008's Iron Man. The film didn't just launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe; it also established so much of what would make the MCU successful. In terms of style, tone, and even specific character arcs, Iron Man established a pattern that Marvel has largely adhered to over the course of the last decade. That's not a criticism. The reality is, Marvel Studios are very good at taking aspects of that formula, and subtly reworking them to create something fresh, new, and original.

But Black Panther changes all that. While it uses all the familiar tropes, the film twists them in unexpected and transformative ways. Both in terms of plot, and in terms of overall approach, there's no going back after Black Panther. The MCU simply cannot stay the same.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
What are the end credit scenes?

And yes, see Thor.
I finally saw Thor. Great movie, some jokes didn't work for me, but most did. I see why they went with the direction they went with the movie because it could have easily been a more serious film... but then Zac Snyder has made more serious films and they were an absolute bore. Of Thor's trilogy, this probably is the best, then the first Thor, and finally the forgettable Dark World.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I finally saw Thor. Great movie, some jokes didn't work for me, but most did. I see why they went with the direction they went with the movie because it could have easily been a more serious film... but then Zac Snyder has made more serious films and they were an absolute bore. Of Thor's trilogy, this probably is the best, then the first Thor, and finally the forgettable Dark World.
Agree, the second was bad. I remember it as well as I do the first Capt. America film.

Upvote 0